• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
November 22, 2019, 10:40:03 am

So Tithing WAS before the Law

Started by Leah, October 20, 2008, 07:21:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prosperity

Quote from: David on October 21, 2008, 09:49:16 pm
We consider it an honor and a privilege to tithe.  Jesus did not do away with the tithe.  It is supported in the new testament, though many do not want to believe it.  Matthew 23:23 is sure enough clear that the tithe was not done away with. 

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

We learned about tithing 18+ years ago and our lives have never been the same.  We have heard all the arguments (aka twisting of scripture) to the contrary, but as for me and my house -- we will tithe!

In Matthew 23:23 Jesus was talking to the religious leaders of the day who were still under the law.  The issue wasn't weather they should or should not give tithes.  Jesus was telling them they were not ministering to the people's needs as they should have been doing.  More importantly than tithing, they were to be dispensing God's justice tempered with mercy and building the people's faith as Jesus was did during his Earthly ministry.   

Jesus would not have told Old Covenant people to quit keeping the law by tithing until Jesus fulfilled the law for them by making salvation available to them by His death, burial and resurrection. 

Jews did not do away with tithing.  He fulfilled tithing just as he did the rest of the law.  Jesus is our tithe and the fulfillment of all of the law.

2 Cor 9:5-8 makes it clear that Christians do not need to tithe.  When people tithe, they are giving of necessity.  They believe they must give in order to have all sufficiency in all things, but this is no longer true.  Jesus says to forget giving of necessity (tithing), but rather we need to establish the purpose of our giving in our hearts by allowing the the Holy Ghost speak to our hearts as to how much to give, who to give to and when to give it. 

Cain and Able were cursed, sold under sin.  Jesus has freed us from the curse of sin that Cain and Able were under, fulfilling the law for us.

2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (KJV) says that Christians will reap bountifully when they, by faith, cheerfully sow bountifully.  Christian faith (confidence) in God's grace (ability) is God's stated method of blessing Christians under the the New Covenant because when Christians exercise their faith, it puts them in a position where God is able to make all grace (ability) abound toward them; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work.

2 Corinthians 9:6-8 (KJV)
6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

sharonl

Since I don't  have a home church right now - I do my tithing in a different way - I actually put more into my way of life than I would if I tithed. I always help everyone that God sends across my path, people in need, friends in need, the poor any way that I can help we do.

I have asked God to show me if I should do something different and have not felt that tug of my Spirit that I am doing wrong.

But this is something we have always done and it is no different now that we don't have a home church. God has sent amazing opportunities across our path for us to help -
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

charityagape

I think there is a blessing attached to tithing that is just as good for us know as it was then...........but I don't think there's a curse attached to not tithing.

Wordsmith

October 22, 2008, 05:45:37 pm #23 Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 01:16:08 pm by Wordsmith
Quote from: sharonl on October 22, 2008, 02:14:22 pm
Since I don't  have a home church right now - I do my tithing in a different way - I actually put more into my way of life than I would if I tithed. I always help everyone that God sends across my path, people in need, friends in need, the poor any way that I can help we do.

I have asked God to show me if I should do something different and have not felt that tug of my Spirit that I am doing wrong.

But this is something we have always done and it is no different now that we don't have a home church. God has sent amazing opportunities across our path for us to help -

But don't you see faith playing a part in the reason you become a joyful giver?  If tithing is done for the written laws sake,  there's no grace attached to it. If your giving is done because of that grace and love already received, then it's already proven from your heart it's done by faith, grace, and love already received, not to any satisfaction of any written law. Isn't this just a clear difference in the administration of the law? The written law tells me.. Thou shalt not commit murder, but the Spirits law tells me the same thing, just differently. The Spirits law shows me to love one another, and gives us the power and ability to walk in that truth. The Spirits law shows me "how to," as being born again of the Spirit, but the written law tells me "thou shalt not" as the flesh still being unreginerate.
Be as loving as the Truth allows, even if it's
mis-interpreted,
because everyone  you meet is fighting
some kind of battle.

8 iron

Quote from: Prosperity on October 21, 2008, 09:37:09 pm

In the OT God rebuked the devourer for the people who kept the tithe under Old Covenant law.

Under the New Covenant, God no longer rebukes the devourer for us because he has given us the authority to rebuke the devourer in Jesus name and directed us to do so.

Can I get a +2? 

No, you get a -1 for being cocky.....

8 iron

Woe unto you, scribesand Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise andcummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment,mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

I've interepreted that Jesus was speaking to those who were currently living under the Law, as were all the people in that day. Well, all except the Gentiles.

He says, 'woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees. I'm not a scribe, nor am I a Pharisees. 
Plus, Jesus is speaking in past tense!

To me, I've always interpreted this as Jesus exposing their hearts and their motives instead of teaching on tithing.

David

It may not be a "lesson on tithing", but it was a given.  Jesus said they should be tithing and other things, it was assumed the people were tithing.

Again, one can believe what they want.  But my wife and I are honored to tithe, and it has blessed us mightily over the years.  I, for one, believe in honoring Him with our tithe, and I don't believe it was "done away with" as so many seem to believe.  My read of scripture confirms that.

Dave
God is good, all the time!

Prosperity

Hisgirl

This is something I posted on Stephen's forum a while back.  I believe in giving and giving freely whatever the Holy Spirit tells you to give.  I believe if you only adhere to 10%, you are restricting the free move of the Spirit in the area of finances.  A strict number is a law, the Holy Spirit may ask you to give 5% or 30% any given month.  Keeping our hearts open and free to be obedient is the key.  This past month the Holy Spirit told me to give to someone and I was concerned about where it would come from.  The following day I received a check in the mail from the IRS.  A penalty had been removed and refunded....BUT, I had been told two weeks prior they had denied my request and the penalty would remain.  I had not appealed the decision.  Yet...there was the money. 

Christians are not bound by Old Covenant Law.
There were many rules and regulations attached to that law...but it was abolished at the cross.

Ephesians 2:13: "But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ."
Ephesians 2:14: "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,"
Ephesians 2:15: "by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace"
Colossians 2:13: "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,"
Colossians 2:14: "having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."

We are of the faith generation...like Abraham. There aren't any scriptures where God asks Abraham to tithe. None.

But we see verses where Abram gave a tithe to King Melchizedek.

Genesis 14:19: "and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth."
Genesis 14:20: "And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything."

However, there are no verses where God has asked Abram to do this. None.
It WAS, though, a custom in those time to give a tithe of spoils of war to the war lord or King or currently worshipped deitiy. This was cultural, not commanded by God.

Abraham became a wealthy man later on...and we see no scripture where he tithes on his increase. Just these verses where he offers spoils of war....to a king.

Not his wealth....but plunder from a battle.

Hebrews 7:4: "Just think how great he [Melchizedek] was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder!"

There are only two types of tithes mentioned in Hebrews after the cross.Abraham's tithe (which we have shown to be spoils of war not personal wealth), and tithing under the Law of Moses (which the rules and regulations have been canceled by the cross as shown by previous verses)

What about Jacob's promise to give a tenth?

Genesis 28:20: "Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear"
Genesis 28:21: "so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God"
Genesis 28:22: "and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.""

Jacob tried to bargain with God by setting certain conditions in which God must first bless Jacob, whic is hardly a good example for Christians to follow! There is no Scriptural evidence that God ever required or commanded Jacob to pay a tithe, nor is there any Scriptural evidence that God commanded anyone to pay any tithes before the Law of Moses began. There are no Scripture passages we can point to in the New Testament which use Jacob's vow as an example for Christian tithing.

After the cross, when the gentiles began to convert, some Jews tried to get them to adopt certain rules that they themselves had grown up with in the Law. The apostles got to together and addressed this issue in Acts 15.

If they thought the gentiles needed to begin tithing, as the Law required, a practice the gentiles would have known nothing about......then this is where it would have been brought up. But they did not say one word to the gentiles about tithing.

What they DID say was this...Acts 15:28: "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirement:"
Acts 15:29: "You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell."

In Numbers we can read how the Israelites gave a tithe to the Levites. The Lord's Tithe. It was ALWAYS something edible...not money. The Levites worked in the Tent of Meeting instead of the fields. They received food from the Israelites in the forum of a tithe and they gave a tenth of the food to Aaron the high priest.

In Deut. 12 and 14 we can read how the Israelites were commanded to give a tithe. Edibles things that they were to take to where God commanded....then eat themselves. The Festival Tithe. Yes, they were to throw a 'God Party' and eat the tithes themselves.

If the place was too far away to bring the tithe (animals and such) they could convert it to money....but once there, they had to re-convert it to edible things again.

The tithes were always meant to be eaten, and n this case the Israelites ate their own tithes (they did not put these tithes into "the storehouse of God"). This is completely different from the way that tithing is done today, even though modern tithers often say that the Old Testament tithes were "carried over" into the New Testament.

Every third year, however, they were to bring the tithes to the storehouse.

Deuteronomy 14:28: "At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns,"
Deuteronomy 14:29: "so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands."

This passage says that every three years the Israelites had to take the edible tithes from that year's produce and store it in their towns so that the Levites, the aliens, the fatherless, and the widows could eat and be satisfied This is the Poor Tithe.

Again, the tithes were always meant to be eaten, and notice in this passage that the aliens, the fatherless, and the widows did not have to pay any tithes (because they were the ones who were eating the Israelites' tithes).

We can see that not everyone tithed in the Old Testament, yet modern tithers say that every Christian, rich or poor, needs to be tithing. The modern form of tithing bears no resemblance to God's actual purposes for tithing.

What about Malachi you ask..

Malachi 3:8: ""Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings."
Malachi 3:9: "You are under a curse--the whole nation of you--because you are robbing me."
Malachi 3:10: "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."

Rcall that Malachi 3:10 was written during Old Testament times, and the original readers were all living under the Law of Moses. Therefore, in order to discover what God was really saying through the prophet Malachi we need to have an understanding of the tithing commandments in the Law of Moses.

Remember, we saw that 90% of the Lord's Tithe did not go into "the storehouse of God" because the Levites were supposed to eat it anywhere they wanted to, and the Festival Tithe did not go into "the storehouse of God," and the Poor Tithe did not go into "the storehouse of God."

Only the priests' portion, the best 10% from the Lord's Tithe, was intended to go into "the storehouse" (in order to be eaten by the priests). So the "whole tithe" which belonged in the storehouse was not the full 10% that the Israelites paid as their tithes, it was only one-tenth of the 10% that the Israelites paid as their tithes (and only from the Lord's Tithe). That's the real meaning of Malachi 3:10, because when peopl interpret "the whole tithe" in Malachi 3:10 as being all of the tithes, this creates a contradiction in Scripture.

In fact, none of the books of the New Testament ever teach Christians anything about tithing either. Granted this might be considered an argument from silence, but silence is all we have in the Bible concerning Christian tithing.

What the New Testament does say, however, about giving is to give GENEROUSLY! There are multitudes of passages that encourage giving from the heart and to not hold back. I especially like these two.

2 Corinthians 9:6: "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously."
2 Corinthians 9:7: "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

There is not even a single verse in the entire New Testament which talks about a principle of tithing for Christians. Not one! Tithing is completely a non-issue after the cross.

Many Christians believe that tithing was carried over from the Old Covenant...if that were true, then the modern form of tithing bears no resemblance to the tithing of the Old Testament.

It was always edible. Even when the Israelites were allowed to convert the tithe to money, they had to convert it back to food and eat it themselves.

Anyone who is giving a tithe because they have the faith that their obedience will bring about blessing....in my opinion, that faith is what activates the heart of God.

Am I a giver? Absolutely! The Lord speaks clearly that He wants me to give from the heart and give generously. But I believe scripture supports us no longer being bound to 10%. We should listen to the Holy Spirit and be prepared for however much the Lord says to give....and give it with joy and in faith. My experience has shown the more the Lord blesses us, the more He expects of us.

So I am NOT supporting a lifestyle of not giving....but of hearing the Holy Spirit and being free to give however much He says to give. You may find yourself wishing it WERE ten percent! 

"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

Prosperity

Quote from: Hisgirl on October 23, 2008, 07:58:54 am

This is something I posted on Stephen's forum a while back.  I believe in giving and giving freely whatever the Holy Spirit tells you to give.  I believe if you only adhere to 10%, you are restricting the free move of the Spirit in the area of finances.  A strict number is a law, the Holy Spirit may ask you to give 5% or 30% any given month.  Keeping our hearts open and free to be obedient is the key.  This past month the Holy Spirit told me to give to someone and I was concerned about where it would come from.  The following day I received a check in the mail from the IRS.  A penalty had been removed and refunded....BUT, I had been told two weeks prior they had denied my request and the penalty would remain.  I had not appealed the decision.  Yet...there was the money. 

Christians are not bound by Old Covenant Law.
There were many rules and regulations attached to that law...but it was abolished at the cross.

Ephesians 2:13: "But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ."
Ephesians 2:14: "For he himself is our peace, who has made the two one and has destroyed the barrier, the dividing wall of hostility,"
Ephesians 2:15: "by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace"
Colossians 2:13: "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,"
Colossians 2:14: "having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross."

We are of the faith generation...like Abraham. There aren't any scriptures where God asks Abraham to tithe. None.

But we see verses where Abram gave a tithe to King Melchizedek.

Genesis 14:19: "and he blessed Abram, saying, "Blessed be Abram by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth."
Genesis 14:20: "And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand." Then Abram gave him a tenth of everything."

However, there are no verses where God has asked Abram to do this. None.
It WAS, though, a custom in those time to give a tithe of spoils of war to the war lord or King or currently worshipped deitiy. This was cultural, not commanded by God.

Abraham became a wealthy man later on...and we see no scripture where he tithes on his increase. Just these verses where he offers spoils of war....to a king.

Not his wealth....but plunder from a battle.

Hebrews 7:4: "Just think how great he [Melchizedek] was: Even the patriarch Abraham gave him a tenth of the plunder!"

There are only two types of tithes mentioned in Hebrews after the cross.Abraham's tithe (which we have shown to be spoils of war not personal wealth), and tithing under the Law of Moses (which the rules and regulations have been canceled by the cross as shown by previous verses)

What about Jacob's promise to give a tenth?

Genesis 28:20: "Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear"
Genesis 28:21: "so that I return safely to my father's house, then the LORD will be my God"
Genesis 28:22: "and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God's house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.""

Jacob tried to bargain with God by setting certain conditions in which God must first bless Jacob, whic is hardly a good example for Christians to follow! There is no Scriptural evidence that God ever required or commanded Jacob to pay a tithe, nor is there any Scriptural evidence that God commanded anyone to pay any tithes before the Law of Moses began. There are no Scripture passages we can point to in the New Testament which use Jacob's vow as an example for Christian tithing.

After the cross, when the gentiles began to convert, some Jews tried to get them to adopt certain rules that they themselves had grown up with in the Law. The apostles got to together and addressed this issue in Acts 15.

If they thought the gentiles needed to begin tithing, as the Law required, a practice the gentiles would have known nothing about......then this is where it would have been brought up. But they did not say one word to the gentiles about tithing.

What they DID say was this...Acts 15:28: "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirement:"
Acts 15:29: "You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell."

In Numbers we can read how the Israelites gave a tithe to the Levites. The Lord's Tithe. It was ALWAYS something edible...not money. The Levites worked in the Tent of Meeting instead of the fields. They received food from the Israelites in the forum of a tithe and they gave a tenth of the food to Aaron the high priest.

In Deut. 12 and 14 we can read how the Israelites were commanded to give a tithe. Edibles things that they were to take to where God commanded....then eat themselves. The Festival Tithe. Yes, they were to throw a 'God Party' and eat the tithes themselves.

If the place was too far away to bring the tithe (animals and such) they could convert it to money....but once there, they had to re-convert it to edible things again.

The tithes were always meant to be eaten, and n this case the Israelites ate their own tithes (they did not put these tithes into "the storehouse of God"). This is completely different from the way that tithing is done today, even though modern tithers often say that the Old Testament tithes were "carried over" into the New Testament.

Every third year, however, they were to bring the tithes to the storehouse.

Deuteronomy 14:28: "At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year's produce and store it in your towns,"
Deuteronomy 14:29: "so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands."

This passage says that every three years the Israelites had to take the edible tithes from that year's produce and store it in their towns so that the Levites, the aliens, the fatherless, and the widows could eat and be satisfied This is the Poor Tithe.

Again, the tithes were always meant to be eaten, and notice in this passage that the aliens, the fatherless, and the widows did not have to pay any tithes (because they were the ones who were eating the Israelites' tithes).

We can see that not everyone tithed in the Old Testament, yet modern tithers say that every Christian, rich or poor, needs to be tithing. The modern form of tithing bears no resemblance to God's actual purposes for tithing.

What about Malachi you ask..

Malachi 3:8: ""Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me. "But you ask, 'How do we rob you?' "In tithes and offerings."
Malachi 3:9: "You are under a curse--the whole nation of you--because you are robbing me."
Malachi 3:10: "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it."

Rcall that Malachi 3:10 was written during Old Testament times, and the original readers were all living under the Law of Moses. Therefore, in order to discover what God was really saying through the prophet Malachi we need to have an understanding of the tithing commandments in the Law of Moses.

Remember, we saw that 90% of the Lord's Tithe did not go into "the storehouse of God" because the Levites were supposed to eat it anywhere they wanted to, and the Festival Tithe did not go into "the storehouse of God," and the Poor Tithe did not go into "the storehouse of God."

Only the priests' portion, the best 10% from the Lord's Tithe, was intended to go into "the storehouse" (in order to be eaten by the priests). So the "whole tithe" which belonged in the storehouse was not the full 10% that the Israelites paid as their tithes, it was only one-tenth of the 10% that the Israelites paid as their tithes (and only from the Lord's Tithe). That's the real meaning of Malachi 3:10, because when peopl interpret "the whole tithe" in Malachi 3:10 as being all of the tithes, this creates a contradiction in Scripture.

In fact, none of the books of the New Testament ever teach Christians anything about tithing either. Granted this might be considered an argument from silence, but silence is all we have in the Bible concerning Christian tithing.

What the New Testament does say, however, about giving is to give GENEROUSLY! There are multitudes of passages that encourage giving from the heart and to not hold back. I especially like these two.

2 Corinthians 9:6: "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously."
2 Corinthians 9:7: "Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."

There is not even a single verse in the entire New Testament which talks about a principle of tithing for Christians. Not one! Tithing is completely a non-issue after the cross.

Many Christians believe that tithing was carried over from the Old Covenant...if that were true, then the modern form of tithing bears no resemblance to the tithing of the Old Testament.

It was always edible. Even when the Israelites were allowed to convert the tithe to money, they had to convert it back to food and eat it themselves.

Anyone who is giving a tithe because they have the faith that their obedience will bring about blessing....in my opinion, that faith is what activates the heart of God.

Am I a giver? Absolutely! The Lord speaks clearly that He wants me to give from the heart and give generously. But I believe scripture supports us no longer being bound to 10%. We should listen to the Holy Spirit and be prepared for however much the Lord says to give....and give it with joy and in faith. My experience has shown the more the Lord blesses us, the more He expects of us.

So I am NOT supporting a lifestyle of not giving....but of hearing the Holy Spirit and being free to give however much He says to give. You may find yourself wishing it WERE ten percent! 

Very good.  9 points for you.

Pete

Quote from: Prosperity on October 23, 2008, 08:12:49 am

Very good.  9 points for you.

But not 10, because that would be under the law...   
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

GiantSlayer23

everybody is making some very good points.  Lots of things to ponder and pray about.  I guess we all have to be led by the Spirit into the Truth.  Everybody has different views about lots of things.  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
May His Grace surround you and His Love keep you!

sharonl

Dana - what a wonderful post - it speaks to my heart - this is exactly how I believe and have all my life - I have tithed the 10% - wrote the check out and dropped it in the offering - I did not feel this was what we were suppose to do and there was not joy in that kind of giving.

Then I started doing what God put on my heart and I felt my spirit leap with joy - it felt so good to be following what God showed me to do. In fact, I have no idea what I give - I just give as God directs me - I have come across people and God said empty your wallet to them - no counting or anything - I just empty it out to them - (not bragging here - I never carry much cash) - but at times I will have a lot more than others - but I don't count - just give it and my wallet never seems to be empty.

In my businesses - God has directed me to give - I had a mini-mall which I took to nursing homes and let the residents shop for themselves - a lot had no money or the family would not allow it to be spent - I could never watch as a resident went away with head bowed and sad - they got what they wanted - it never seemed to deplenish my inventory.

I love to give - the people in my neighborhood make fun of me, but that is alright - when I hear someone is sick or has been in the hospital - I start cooking - I passed one of the guys the other day and he said - well what are we eating today - they laugh at me.

Another neighbor and her husband go to Hondures every year - they help with orphans there - I took some clothes to her for children to take - another neighbor said - we have plenty of people in the US that need help - they don't understand - when God puts something on your heart - we don't ask him which nationality they are - we are all God's people.

Some may not consider this as tithing, but I do - the only difference in this and giving 10% to the church - is you are giving it by the direction of God to certain people - maybe these people would never benefit from the 10% given to the church - but as God directs people out of the church to give - it takes care of all of God's children - so the ones that give in church helps those that are covered there - people who give like I do helps people that are not sitting in the church - so it is all in God's plan.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

Hisgirl

Hahaha!  Pete....you crack me up!

Sharon, that is awesome!  What amazing creative ways to give!! 

I DID add it up once and we had given waaay more than ten percent.  Like thousands more.  It sorta freaked me out but God continued to provide for what all He called us to give.  I know this is a touchy point in most churches and I surely wouldn't want to judge someone if they feel called to tithe.   Or..if someone doesn't want to give anything, then that's between them and God.  He may or may not be asking them to give.  That's not my business AT ALL. 

I love to see people give.  Wouldn't it be awesome to be a millionaire and bless people all over the place!?!

"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama