Why do the wicked prosper?

Started by Alpine, October 08, 2008, 09:03:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Alpine

This story reminds me of many of the Psalms where the question is asked about injustice and the prosperity of the wicked.

GREATBEND, Kan. --  A Kansas man whose girlfriend was physically stuck to thetoilet in their home wins $20,000 in the state Lottery -- for the secondtime this year.

Kory McFarren ofNess City cashed in his winning $2 Bonus Crossword ticket in Great BendMonday. On July 29, the 37-year-old McFarren received six months ofprobation after pleading no contest to misdemeanor mistreatment of adependent adult.

McFarren called Ness Countydeputies in February to report that his girlfriend, Pam Babcock, hadrefused to come out of the bathroom for two years. Authorities foundher stuck to the toilet.

Medical personnelestimated Babcock had been on the toilet for at least a month and saidthe seat had adhered to sores on her body. She was released from aWichita hospital after several months of treatment.

As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

sharonl

Quote from: Alpine on October 08, 2008, 09:03:12 am
This story reminds me of many of the Psalms where the question is asked about injustice and the prosperity of the wicked.

That is the $64,000 question - or maybe I should say the $750Billion dollar question - look at all the greed that has brought down our country - greed, and only greed is what has made our system fail - I would never have thought that greed by a few would ruin our country and they are still prospering - still have their jobs and now have control of another $750 Billions dollars to have more greed set in. Unbelievable.

Even after the $85 billion dollar bailout - all the big wigs at AIG went to a spa in CA and spent $450,000 - and they are still in their jobs and laughing all the way to the bank. I am so mad I could throw something at the TV everytime I see some of these crooks getting away with soooooo much.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

Alpine

Yeah.

And I think some executives took out $20 million the day after everything went kaboom or something like that.

Really sad. Reminds me a lot of Enron, but much worse.
As long as the Steelers themes smileys exist so shall my protest last!

LittleRocketBoy

Prosperity

Luke 16:8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

David

The wicked only seem to prosper.  In the end, we know they do not.

Dave
God is good, all the time!

Pete

Quote from: David on October 09, 2008, 02:47:43 am
The wicked only seem to prosper.  In the end, we know they do not.

That's a good point.  The wicked may have some financial prosperity in this life, but the only True prosperity is found in Christ.
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

GiantSlayer23

I have often struggled with this idea too.   I watch my own family members, as my family struggles, they seem to be able to do as they please, financially.  But when I take a closer look, I realize that my family has something they do not, a future that is grounded in God through Christ.  All of the material things will pass away, buying the right books, or the right movies won't get you any closer to God. 

The wicked may prosper for a season, but that season will end.  They will learn the hard way what true prosperity is.
May His Grace surround you and His Love keep you!

Sarah

As we continue to shine our light by the way we live, those who are in the darkness will seek us out.
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

LittleRocketBoy

The fact is, while we consider our personal "righteousness" far greater than those wicked wretched and unworthy ones, the reality is our "personally righteousness" is only a tad bighter than theirs. Truth is, we with our holy ways are no more worthy of blessings than they.
When the scriptures say that he sends rain upon the good and bad alike; "rain" was meant to represent "good" things not bad.
God sends good things upon the wicked and the righteousness simply because He is good and kind, not because we are worthy.
I know I do not deserve any good thing.
But I am blessed beyond reason and ciircumstance.

David

However there are several scriptures that speak of the blessings and rewards that come upon the righteous ones.   Just a few here.

Light is sown for the righteous.  Ps 97:11
He lays up sound wisdom for the righteous.  Prov 2:7
The paths of the righteous are kept.  Prov 2:21
God is a buckler to those who are righteous.  Pro 2:7
His secrets are with the righteous.  Prov 3:32
The labor of the righteous tends to life.  Prov 10:16
The lips of the righteous feed many.  Prov 10:21
The righteous are delivered out of trouble.  Prov 11:8
The righteous flourish.  Prov 11:28
The righteous have favor.  Prov 14:9
Wealth and riches are in the houses of the righteous.  Prov 15:6
The path of the righteous is made plain to him.  Prov 15:19
God hears the prayers of the righteous.  Prov 15:29
The righteous are bold as a lion.  Prov 28:1
Dave
God is good, all the time!

DianeL

October 13, 2008, 02:16:07 pm #11 Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:27:38 pm by DianeL
Psalm 37:6-8 (New King James Version)

He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light,
       And your justice as the noonday.
Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for Him;
       Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
       Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.
Cease from anger, and forsake wrath;
       Do not fret--it only causes harm

All in my family know Jesus as Savior, my two sisters have salaries in the 6 figure, my brother if he can sell his fitness centre in Holland will retire a millionaire, he's under 50.  For myself, I'm working for 11.00  an hour right now.

Sometimes it's about decisions we've made, perhaps I should have gone to university, perhaps I should have been wiser in who I married......., life choices.

I had to come to grips with a few things myself, not as much asking why unbelievers have so much wealth, but even why believers do and I don't. ........ Go figure.

All in know is I love Jesus, He is my refuge in times of trouble. He meets my every need.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

sharonl

Hi Diane:

I am really asking this question today.

My friend called me - she is such a faithful Christian - has faith beyond any question - faces such awful circumstances right now - no place to turn - her life has been in such a mess for so long and she keeps saying it will be alright - God promised us.

Her husband has Alz. she lost her job because she can't leave him, no money, no place to turn, rent due, son in jail in CO - was due in court tomorrow to take care of the last issue, somehow ended up back in jail last night,  doesn't know if he will be in jail any longer, makes $200 to much in social security and cannot get food stamps, husband does not qualify for any help from Alzheimer's association - no money for rent or gas or food.
She could be arrested if she goes to work and something happens to her husband because she has to leave him. She has no place to turn.

I know that God has everything in control but I can't help but say why does she have to suffer so much, she is such a strong believer - in all this - she says God will provide. Breaks my heart that I can't help more than I do.

So I can understand how you feel about your sisters and brother raking it in while you struggle.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

DianeL

Sharon, thanks.

I guess it's a question we all ask at some point, John the Baptist might have asked it too when Jesus showed up on the scene publicly. and he remained in prison.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13