Why did Jesus curse the fig tree?

Started by Pete, October 01, 2008, 10:18:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jeolmstead

The funny thing is, I was reading the story and asked the Lord why. He is the one who took me back to Gen 3.

It was a total surprise to me.

As best as I can remember, I had never read that anywhere or been told that. Frankly I was surprised to see LB share the same thing.

In any event, God often shares with me things I did not know. There is no end to His depth or the unfolding of His revelation to us.

When someone asks me the question as to why Jesus did this, I will share what I shared here because as best as I can tell this is the answer he gave me when I asked Him.

It is of course an opinion on my part.

I do agree there are often many truths to be gleaned from scripture and also many times when the literal is dismissed as symbolic (by some) and the symbolic is treated as literal (by some more)

The Word of God stands above all and is true beyond question. My understanding of it however should always be questioned. (As should anything I write or share)

John O.

LittleRocketBoy

You are quite right JO.
Matters of faith are, after all, matters of faith. If God speaks a truth into your spirit... then that is what you believe. Thank the Lord for it.
I have wondered how Paul must have felt as the Lord opened his heart and mind to the reality of the word. Paul had been a student of the word for all his life. Apparently he had never seen these things about Christ coming first to suffer and die for us. What a shock it must have been to his religion. As for myself I entered into Christianity with a blank slate regarding these things. It was all new and fresh. But to Paul and the others who grew up in the law... I cannot imagine the total smash job it did to them and their teaching. Much like a carefully pieced together jigsaw puzzel being flipped into the air and those same pieces suddenly coming together with a completely different picture!

Wordsmith

April 09, 2009, 01:02:26 pm #42 Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 01:17:48 pm by Wordsmith
I guess taking the scripture about any one
saying to this mountain be thou removed, be
thou cast into the sea and shall not doubt in
his heart. That mountain will move.

I remember taking it very literal when I was
a young girl, and tried it. The mountian didn't
go anywhere. There was no need for the
mountain to be moved. LOL..but oh, the
possibilites of that kind of faith. Have had
enough "mountains" in my life that have moved
with the understanding it didn't have to be a
leteral mountian.
Be as loving as the Truth allows, even if it's
mis-interpreted,
because everyone  you meet is fighting
some kind of battle.

LittleRocketBoy

Quote from: Wordsmith on April 09, 2009, 01:02:26 pm
I guess taking the scripture about any one
saying to this mountain be thou removed, be
thou cast into the sea and shall not doubt in
his heart. That mountain will move.

I remember taking it very literal when I was
a young girl, and tried it. The mountian didn't
go anywhere. There was no need for the
mountain to be moved. LOL..but oh, the
possibilites of that kind of faith. Have had
enough "mountains" in my life that have moved
with the understanding it didn't have to be a
leteral mountian range.

I guess I had read this verse a thousand times before I actually saw what it was saying.
It does not say that someone with the God kind of faith "believes the mountain would move..."
It says that one with the God kind of faith "believes that whatever he says comes to pass..."
Very big difference.
The God kind of faith is the kind of faith that creates universes. God believes that "whatever He says" comes to pass. When He speaks whatever His words describe comes to pass. Jesus was explaining that this is why the fig tree dried up. It dried up because He knows that whatever He says (and does not doubt in His heart) comes to pass.
People who "test" this and then decide it does not work need to understand that they have to possess the God kind of faith for it to work as Jesus described.
I have spoken things and known that I have what I said. But not everything. But those things that I did say and that did come to pass.. I knew without a doubt that I had what I said before anything actually happened. When it did happen I was not surprized a bit. In my heart and mind I already knew it happened. That is the God kind of faith.

peace
dids

Wordsmith

Quote from: LittleRocketBoy on April 09, 2009, 01:27:14 pm

I guess I had read this verse a thousand times before I actually saw what it was saying.
It does not say that someone with the God kind of faith "believes the mountain would move..."
It says that one with the God kind of faith "believes that whatever he says comes to pass..."
Very big difference.
The God kind of faith is the kind of faith that creates universes. God believes that "whatever He says" comes to pass. When He speaks whatever His words describe comes to pass. Jesus was explaining that this is why the fig tree dried up. It dried up because He knows that whatever He says (and does not doubt in His heart) comes to pass.
People who "test" this and then decide it does not work need to understand that they have to possess the God kind of faith for it to work as Jesus described.
I have spoken things and known that I have what I said. But not everything. But those things that I did say and that did come to pass.. I knew without a doubt that I had what I said before anything actually happened. When it did happen I was not surprized a bit. In my heart and mind I already knew it happened. That is the God kind of faith.

peace
dids

Yes, I agree. I too saw it was the God kind of faith that had to be present. And this is what God possesses. I would say probably only about 5 or  6  times in my life that I knew I had what I had spoken, before it manifested.  It's a wonderful thing when that happens, where no doubt is even present.
mis-interpreted,
some kind of battle.

LittleRocketBoy

Quote from: Wordsmith on April 09, 2009, 02:02:53 pm

Yes, I agree. I too saw it was the God kind of faith that had to be present. And this is what God possesses. I would say probably only about 5 or  6  times in my life that I knew I had what I had spoken, before it manifested.  It's a wonderful thing when that happens, where no doubt is even present.

You are correct. It is a truely wonderful feeling. It is as if life flows through you and out with the words. In a way it feels like you become a different person, as if you are changed somehow. But from that instant you know what you said is going to happen. I would have to say I am more convinced of the reality of it than I am when I see the thing actually manifest. It is very hard to explain. What I currently cannot see is how we "get" the God kind of faith. When Jesus said "Have the faith of God..." it does not sound like a suggestion, rather it seems like He is telling us to do what He did. Now how you get to the place where you know that everything you say comes to pass... that is a hard one! Jesus knew it.
Thanks for the discussion!
Peace
Dids

Wordsmith

April 09, 2009, 02:31:26 pm #46 Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:24:45 pm by Wordsmith
QuoteDids..When Jesus said "Have the faith of God..." it does not sound like a suggestion, rather it seems like He is telling us to do what He did. Now how you get to the place where you know that everything you say comes to pass... that is a hard one! Jesus knew it.

Not to derail this thread..I'll just say this.
It wasn't something I had done. Your right..it was like being in that moment a different person. I know what Jesus said, about us doing what He did. But I can't get over the thought that this was
produced solely by God. Maybe it's given as a look into what having all faith is like. I wouldn't know where to begin on my own,  to produce that again.
mis-interpreted,
some kind of battle.