• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
February 20, 2020, 07:06:45 pm

My sheep know My voice

Started by Pete, September 24, 2008, 10:30:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Recently, we had a post here about Mike Guglielmucci, who wrote the song "Healer", but who also lied to people and told them he had cancer.

You've probably all heard the song "Thank You", which has been sung at funerals and as an anthem to church workers for years, and yet Ray Boltz, who wrote this song, has now come out of the closet and is living an openly gay lifestyle, "accepting who he is".

The question is, are these songs any less powerful, or any less worthy, because of the lifestyles of the people who wrote them?

If the song "Thank You" blessed us 10 years ago, why can't it still bless us today?

I am a firm believer that everyone, EVERYONE has something for me from God.  I'm really just beginning to LIVE that way, but I'm slowly realizing that God speaks to me in the most unlikely of ways.  People that I am diametrically opposed to doctrinally have shown me some powerful Truths in the past few years.  God has spoken to me through the lyrics of secular music.  You get the idea...

There are times when I am just happily posting along on the forum, and someone will post something that just pierces my heart.  It doesn't really matter who they are, what they believe, or how they live.  Those are the times I stop and take note, because I recognize and honor that God has chosen, for whatever reason, to use that person as a vessel to minister to me.

I submit to you then, that the lyrics to Ray Boltz's song "Thank You" are not Ray Boltz's lyrics at all, but rather he was simply an imperfect conduit for which God chose to speak forth those words.

That is what I believe that scripture means.  "My sheep know My voice."  Knowing when He is speaking, no matter where it is coming from.
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Wordsmith

September 25, 2008, 12:38:12 am #1 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 12:56:43 am by Wordsmith
Quote from: Pete on September 24, 2008, 10:30:08 pm
Recently, we had a post here about Mike Guglielmucci, who wrote the song "Healer", but who also lied to people and told them he had cancer.

You've probably all heard the song "Thank You", which has been sung at funerals and as an anthem to church workers for years, and yet Ray Boltz, who wrote this song, has now come out of the closet and is living an openly gay lifestyle, "accepting who he is".

The question is, are these songs any less powerful, or any less worthy, because of the lifestyles of the people who wrote them?

If the song "Thank You" blessed us 10 years ago, why can't it still bless us today?

I am a firm believer that everyone, EVERYONE has something for me from God.  I'm really just beginning to LIVE that way, but I'm slowly realizing that God speaks to me in the most unlikely of ways.  People that I am diametrically opposed to doctrinally have shown me some powerful Truths in the past few years.  God has spoken to me through the lyrics of secular music.  You get the idea...

There are times when I am just happily posting along on the forum, and someone will post something that just pierces my heart.  It doesn't really matter who they are, what they believe, or how they live.  Those are the times I stop and take note, because I recognize and honor that God has chosen, for whatever reason, to use that person as a vessel to minister to me.

I submit to you then, that the lyrics to Ray Boltz's song "Thank You" are not Ray Boltz's lyrics at all, but rather he was simply an imperfect conduit for which God chose to speak forth those words.

That is what I believe that scripture means.  "My sheep know My voice."  Knowing when He is speaking, no matter where it is coming from.

The songs are just words. And everybody uses words. But there are words put together that touch the soul, and magnify the Lord, because our souls are Gods.  Right now, I'm hooked on 'Your Raise Me Up", by Josh Groban. But that song has been used in commercials, and lot of different venues. But when our focus is on Christ, it brings our soul in touch with God. I don't think being gay makes one bit of difference if words sung seem to touch the soul of us.
Be as loving as the Truth allows, even if it's
mis-interpreted,
because everyone  you meet is fighting
some kind of battle.

Stephen Worrell

September 25, 2008, 05:39:19 pm #2 Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 05:49:54 pm by Stephen Worrell
I still have music from people who "messed up", and I have no intention of getting rid of it.

Amy Grant - she "sold out" to secular music
Sandi Patti -  she left her husband for another man [I think this was her who did this]
Carman - Got married, then divorced secretly to cover up the divorce

There are lots of examples like this in Christian music [in ministers as well].

One of the saddest problems is that these people don't have too many options. 

Who is a Christian singer going to go to and say "hey guys, I've been gay since 1969 - somebody help me" ??

Can you imagine what would happen if a preacher walked into his church, put his Bible down on the pulpit, and started the church service by saying, "Dudes, I need some serious help; I got a hooker last night!!"

Or what if the youth leader went and told the pastor he was outside the building hitting the bong right before youth church?

Because they can't go to anyone in the church, they don't have anywhere they can take the problem.  So it festers inside them, and what could have been settled in 12-18 months of counseling and accountability turns into a problem that sends them to jail for child molestation, gets them AIDS, causes them to run around on their wives and lose their families, or whatever other catastrophe they happen to bring on themselves through poor choices.

I think that the church bears some guilt in the failure of its ministers, mind you, not the 90 or 95 percent the minister himself/herself bears, but at least 5 or 10 percent of that guilt, by not providing a safe haven where real people in a real world can go to fix their real problems with real solutions.

One day, when Grace and I get enough money, our vision and dream is to have a resort somewhere on an island where ministers can go to rehabilitate, relax, de-stress and confess in an atmosphere where they will not be judged, nor will the media be told, where they can get real, personal, and private counseling for their situation and help to set them on their way.  After all, church members have a place they can go [the preacher], so why can't the preacher have a place he or she can go?

Pete

This thread really isn't meant to discuss any of the people in the OP, so those posts have been moved to their own thread here for further discussion;

http://www.hisgraceoasis.com/index.php?topic=793.0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."