When politics and church collide

Started by Bryan, September 16, 2020, 08:41:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

September 16, 2020, 08:41:08 pm Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 10:08:35 pm by Bryan
So Ive never been a huge fan of politics in church.  Either way, last week my pastor crossed a line that still has me wondering if its best to find a new church home.  Given the social upheaval and the tendency of groups to flock towards the populist movement, it shouldnt be a surprise to me but I must say.  I do NOT support BLM and the idea that I have to sit under someone dropping social injustice tidbits during a sermon are a bit much to swallow.

Im still growing in grace but I do not feel at this time such a place is best for me.  But I honestly have no other option.  Id love to go back to the local Vineyad church but they are online only still.  Well maybe if I prayed a bit more about it Id find grace to see a way through
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Pete

So generally, I would agree with you that politics and church do not mix. I would also generally agree that most of the methods of the BLM movement are largely destructive and ineffective. Rioting and violent protests are extremely counter-productive.

That said, I also believe that there is a very real problem with systemic racism in America, and I do believe that should be of concern to Christians. I don't know what your pastor said or how it was said, so I can't comment on your specific situation. However, I found these 2 videos from Phil Vischer on the topic of race in America very eye-opening;

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Bryan

I'm over it now, I was a bit upset about it obviously, but each is allowed their views on it.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.