What to make of the hyper political environment that exists today

Started by Bryan, August 28, 2020, 09:14:58 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

So I am solidly in the camp of the less politics I have to listen to the better.  It really makes me sick that I can't even watch a sporting event now without being spoon fed something political, no matter what side of the political sphere it's from.

A positive I am drawing from this is I am spending less time watching adults playing a kids game and being vastly overpaid for it, and more time with more productive and constructive hobbies.  I am back into my music, spending more time with my family, etc.

So while I am opposed to the hyper political nature of the world, it is actually turning out for the better.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Pete

The thing that bothers me the most about politics, particularly Christians and politics, is that the only thing that really seems to matter is whether someone is on "your side" or not. It doesn't matter what they do. It could be completely and totally abhorrent. It could be morally bankrupt and potentially illegal. It could be blatant hypocrisy. As long as they're on "your side", it's all good.

This image illustrates what I'm talking about beautifully. Please forgive the language.

You cannot see attachments on this board.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Bryan

It's certainly true, as far as the partisan nature of things.  I'm not old by any stretch of the imagination, but I can remember when people could work together to get something accomplished.  Now, the weirdest thing is that you can be in conversation with someone and it could be a very jovial and lighthearted thing, but the second politics are mentioned if you are in disagreement there's an issue.  I just don't get it.  Even within a particular sect or party (at least here in the USA) people want 100% compliance, so it's not just Democrat v Republican, it can also be Far Left vs more moderate.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

JohnDB

Some of this is from the way the two debate the issues.
And it's the strategy that is flawed from the get-go.

It's very difficult to get people to like and admire a stranger.
BUT
It takes almost no effort to get people to hate a stranger that they don't know.
AND
Getting an opponent so upset and angry that they can't think straight is a tactic that works.

Both sides have employed this tactic.
And it's destructive and destroying our nation. No longer are the two sides actually interested in what is beneficial for everyone (regardless of politics) they are only interested in themselves and what it is that they want to do.

It's so blatant and obvious anymore.

It's working off of remembered emotions... it's going to be the end of us all at some point.

I wanna die like grandpa, peacefully and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car...they were all screaming and panicking.

Bryan

I've always been a pretty firm believer that Christians (and really any religion) should stay out of politics.  Theocracies of any sort can be destructive.  I actually think this is what Peter & Paul meant when they wrote about honoring the king and praying for leaders, etc.  They didn't say form a local protest group, or get active in politics, but pray and obey (in other words, leave that stuff to God).  God is after all the one who put that leader in that position so in a sense we disobey God when we disobey leaders.

Now that may be an extreme take on that and I respect those who are believers that are politicians, I just don't think it's appropriate.  Politics can be so so toxic

jiminpa

Proverbs 29:2
Amplified Bible, Classic Edition
2 When the [uncompromisingly] righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; but when the wicked man rules, the people groan and sigh.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

jiminpa

Politics in the US have enjoyed a nice unhealthy status quo for decades, but these are people who want to dictate to us how we live our own lives. They successfully closed every single church in America for months. God did not do that. It violates his instruction. Do you think that these power hungry politicians are going to just forget how easy it is to lord over us all? Like him or not, we have a president who is challenging that status quo, and the status quo is doing everything to stay in place.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Pete

Obviously, you and I have very different opinions on this topic, Jim.

Firstly, I don't for a moment believe that the church was successfully closed for months. I can speak only for my church and the other churches here in our small town, but the reach of our ministry was actually broadened more than we could have dreamed possible. Rather than whining about the church closing, we opened up Zoom meetings, which provided a unique opportunity to minister to people who could have never been ministered to otherwise. Upon returning to in-person church services, we immediately started live streaming. Suddenly we're reaching hundreds of people we would never have been able to minister to before, including our very own Jo, thousands of miles away. This has resulted in church growth that we haven't seen in quite some time. Also, our church's income INCREASED pretty drastically during the shutdown. The logic doesn't even follow. If the purpose was to shut down the church, the absolute worst thing you could do is push churches to do online streaming, as that makes it even easier for people to hear the Gospel and for people to support those ministries they follow.

Secondly, there are many data-driven reasons that I believe the lockdowns were overreaching, but "lording it over us" isn't one of them. I think the pandemic is being utilized as a political sledgehammer by all sides of the political spectrum. Opportunist is the word I would use. And whatever is politically expedient for the fleeting moment is what politicians will do.

Thirdly, it's very true that we have a President that is challenging the status quo, but absolutely not in a good way, IMO. This President cares about exactly one thing, and that is his own narcissism. Our President isn't the least bit interested in challenging the status quo in politics. He is interested in whatever benefits him personally at the moment. He'll tell you what you want to hear so long as he thinks it benefits him. As soon as it's no longer politically beneficial, he'll change with the political tides. That should concern people of character and integrity. I don't believe our President has any true convictions. He says what people want to hear when they want to hear it until they don't want to hear it anymore. I suppose you could take the position that even if he doesn't possess a moral compass and doesn't have any real convictions that at least he'll do what you want him to do, but that's some seriously shifting sand to base your hopes on, IMO.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."