October 28, 2020, 12:34:13 pm

Fun story.

Started by jiminpa, July 18, 2020, 02:27:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jiminpa

Here's a story about me and my late wife. My grandparents used to own weekend/summer camp on the Allegheny River in the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains. Pete and Sarah, it's about a mile north of the north end of the Kennerdell tunnel. The normal depth of the river in the summer is about 9 feet at the deepest point with shallow whitewater downstream. One day I borrowed a canoe from a friend of my dad in Washington, Pennsylvania, about 2 hours from their camp, and we hauled it up tied to the top of a compact car. When we got to camp the river was high and fast. I knew better than to go out under those conditions, but we hauled the canoe up that far and I was determined to get it wet. That was not the best decision I ever made in my life, (also not the worst). My wife had never been in a canoe before in her life.

The current was fast enough that I had a hard time going straight across the river, but I was determined. I wanted to take Bess to an island in the middle of the riffles that were downstream from camp but with the current we had to be careful not to hit any large rocks. I had Bess watch for current patterns for the dangerous rocks, and this is actually important to the story because as we went along I realized that the rocks we were watching for were the ones that are usually about 6 feet above the water, but onward we went. I usually approached the island at it's point letting the current pull the canoe in while I paddle to stay inline with the point of the island. It was when the current was stronger than I could paddle that I realized we were in some real danger. My family is in the habit of carrying an anchor, even in a canoe, and, thankfully, I kept to that tradition this time. Even with the river high and the current swift the riffles can be waded, so when we got just below waist deep I grabbed the anchor rope, jumped out and pulled the canoe to the island. Bess and a walked around island, and did a few things, like examining some of the river mussels, for a little while. When it was time to go back I forded the narrow side, which is also the side our camp is on, and paddled up the eddy currents to camp. I could never talk Bess back into a canoe again, even under normal circumstances. The funny thing is that I could get her into a rowboat taking the same course, and I have a harder time with a rowboat in heavy current.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

flaglady

Quote from: jiminpa on July 18, 2020, 02:27:58 pmriffles
Hi Jim - this word is new to me. But I Googled it and found this definition a rocky or shallow part of a stream or river where the water flows brokenly.  "the river's sweeping riffles and deep pools provide a superb habitat for salmon". Would this be correct?

jiminpa

If "flows brokenly" refers to mild whitewater then yes. If not, I may be using it wrong.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

jiminpa

I found someone else's photo of the area on the internet. This photo is taken from the old railroad bed, now maintained as a bike/hiking trail. It is the downstream side of the island. The photographer is on the same side as our camp. https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-qaEtji0wgi4/VDnuD9ubgoI/AAAAAAAAJkY/Sf6NjkzwY3A/s1600/IMG_0691.JPG. For copyright and credit purposes the link to the page is https://coalandcoke.blogspot.com/2014/10/allegheny-river-trail-emlenton-to.html. The far side is the riffles.

flaglady

What gorgeous pictures!

jiminpa

It's still one of my favorite places, but I don't have anywhere to put a canoe in near there.