Favorite Chapter in the Bible?

Started by Bryan, July 08, 2020, 09:14:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

So I know chapters and verses are modern creations to the Holy Text, but I'm just curious, do you have a favorite chapter in the Bible?  What is it?  Why is it your favorite?
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Foadle

That is actually quite a hard question.  I find it varies according to what God is doing in my life at any given time.

At the moment 1 John in the Book that God has me in; and chapter 3 is probably my favourite if I had to choose but the book at the moment is the thing: it is identifying the truth from the lie, living love, and relationship with God - and that is where God has me at present.

Other times it has been Genesis 1 and in hind sight I would have to say that that is because God was building in me the realisation that as the creator of everything there was nothing to big or small in my life that he was not interested in, and that he wanted to be a part of, and that he could do something with.

Philippians 1, Ephesians 1, Philippians 4 have all at some time played a part in my life

Romans 14 helped me move from a very legalistic church to realising that it is not about the law but where my faith is.

Hebrews 11 grew me in understanding what faith is...I have a feeling I could be going back to this one soon.

So yes...all depends on what God is doing in my life at the time.

Bryan

Quote from: Foadle on July 09, 2020, 04:20:57 amThat is actually quite a hard question.  I find it varies according to what God is doing in my life at any given time.

At the moment 1 John in the Book that God has me in; and chapter 3 is probably my favourite if I had to choose but the book at the moment is the thing: it is identifying the truth from the lie, living love, and relationship with God - and that is where God has me at present.

Other times it has been Genesis 1 and in hind sight I would have to say that that is because God was building in me the realisation that as the creator of everything there was nothing to big or small in my life that he was not interested in, and that he wanted to be a part of, and that he could do something with.

Philippians 1, Ephesians 1, Philippians 4 have all at some time played a part in my life

Romans 14 helped me move from a very legalistic church to realising that it is not about the law but where my faith is.

Hebrews 11 grew me in understanding what faith is...I have a feeling I could be going back to this one soon.

So yes...all depends on what God is doing in my life at the time.

1 John is probably my favorite book alongside of the gospel of John.  The intimacy and depth of feeling you get from the man who was closest to Jesus is just intense.  Of course Psalms is right up there too.  My favorite chapter to answer my own question?

I'm going to go with maybe an unorthodox choice.  I am tempted to say Psalm 103, and you know to be honest Psalm 27 is my go to for just about any occasion and that should be my choice, but I'm going to say Hebrews 11 and just to cheat a little the first 2 verses of 12 as well.

The Hall of Faith is compelling and really majestic to me.  I mean we all know the stories, there's really no surprises there but having the testimonies of Old Testament saints and how through simple faith they conquered life and God himself testifies that the world was not worthy of them, man it gives me chills just typing this now.  Not that I need that about myself but it's compelling.  Then I added the first 2 verses of 12 and I'll just type them in here:

"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God."

Not ashamed to admit I have shed some tears reading those words because they pierce me often.  How many times do I get so entangled in the affairs of this life that I take my eyes of Jesus?  How many times have I let my sins dictate my life course because I felt too ashamed to just ask for forgiveness?  Or because I felt God wouldn't forgive me because this time I've gone too far and surely his mercy has reached it's end?  When the testimonies of those who come before say that we all mess up, we all make mistakes, but what counts is who has enduring faith.  Faith that moves and conquers mountains.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.