November 25, 2020, 08:21:39 pm

How do we cheapen God's grace?

Started by Bryan, July 03, 2020, 02:07:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Pretty simple question, but an important one I think.  Lord knows I need to be more aware of things like this in my own conduct.  So thus my question: what are some things that we can do that cheapen God's grace?  Or is that even possible?
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Foadle

Absolutely it is possible.  Paul wrote about it aplenty.

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then?  Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?
Romans 6:2 God forbid.  How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

Right there Paul demonstrates how we "cheapen" grace thus stating that it is in deed possible.

We cheapen grace by living a life that in effect says, "I can do what I like, because the grace of God will sort it out."

We need to understand that the grace of God is there as a encouraging provision, not as an entitling license.  The law was there to show us that we cannot get to God on our own merits.  We have at some time broken every single one of the ten commandments (yes, even murder, for Jesus said that if we hate someone we have murdered...and even if it were but for a short time, we have hated someone.) 

Once the realisation came that we cannot live 100% righteous 100% of the time, He showed us His grace through Jesus Christ who became sin for us that we might become the righteousness of God in him (2 Cor 5:21).  Yes, I stuff up.  We all do.  But, the grace of God is there because He knows that in and of ourselves we cannot live perfect.  Not to allow us to intentionally go out and sin.

Also we cheapen the grace of God by living below the standard of life Jesus died to give us: health, prosperity, wisdom etc...and that is something we are all doing and it is only by the Spirit that we move toward becoming more and more each day transformed into the image of God Himself, in all our thoughts, words, and deeds.

Bryan

Interesting thoughts :)

I do agree we can cheapen Gods grace.  I fear my own ability to do so, but I also trust his grace is much larger and more vast than I can experience or honestly believe.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Foadle

That is true for all of us.  We all not only have the ability to cheapen the grace of God but frequently have (be it wittingly or unwittingly). 

Furthermore, as we grow in relationship with Him we learn more and more how far we are living below what Jesus died to give us. 

We are evolving more and more into the disposition of the Messiah - with the comes the painful realisation of how far we truly have stray from what he desires for us; but also the joyful reality of knowing he is working in us to will and to do of His good pleasure (Philippians 2:13) and that is making us more like him.