October 21, 2020, 09:53:44 am

Dead Forum

Started by Hisforever, July 05, 2020, 12:08:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hisforever

Why is this forum like a ghost town anyways? Is there a way to liven it up a bit?
Without actions to back them up, the words I love you are nothing but air coming out of your mouth.

Foadle

It is very much a ghost town to what it used to be.  I asked Pete what had happened, and it was just that people (including myself) had drifted away over time, and now they could go for weeks at a time without a post.  Would like to see it revived though.

Hisforever

Yeah me too,.. I'm also currently on christianforums.com,.. just signed up there. Seems to be a LOT more lively there. Hopefully things will liven up here as well though. :)
Without actions to back them up, the words I love you are nothing but air coming out of your mouth.

Foadle

Christian Forums is where most of us came from

Hisforever

Oh,.. well maybe it's changed since you guys were there I hope.

JakeELee

Forums are no longer "a thing".

If you want to stay in 2005 then that's fine, but 2020 means Facebook, social media, instagram, twitter, discord, zoom and other more instantly accessible platforms.

Foadle

If you read some of our other posts you realise that we have discussed this also.  Sometimes the modern technologies such as you mention give the illusion of discussion in that there is a platform presented, but there next to no true discussion.

Pete

Forums are a "thing" if the community participants make them a "thing".

While there is no doubt that social media is far more prevalent, forums are still an excellent way to have prolonged discussions. However, with all online interactions, there is the 90-9-1 rule in play. 90% of people will lurk and may never post anything. 9% of people will contribute to what is already posted. Only 1% will actually generate new content and start new discussions.

Since we have so few active members, very few new discussions get started. So that's why there's not a lot of activity around here. Every once in a while a single member will get pumped and try to generate new discussions all on their own, but it takes the rest of the community to participate. Schedules conflict, people don't have the time to participate, different time zones, other priorities in life...  all of these things limit the activity on this forum.

But I'm game. While I can't spend tons of time, and right now probably can't be in the 1% that starts new discussions, I can contribute.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

JohnDB

Yeah...
And Reddit came into existence and sucked all the oxygen out of the room too.

But I like making more personal connections with people. Getting to know others on an individual basis.

My opinion is ok...but it isn't as interesting as other's is.
I wanna die like grandpa, peacefully and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car...they were all screaming and panicking.

JakeELee

July 15, 2020, 03:04:54 pm #9 Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 03:21:32 pm by JakeELee
Quote from: Foadle on July 11, 2020, 05:30:32 pmIf you read some of our other posts you realise that we have discussed this also.  Sometimes the modern technologies such as you mention give the illusion of discussion in that there is a platform presented, but there next to no true discussion.

Then the issue isn't one about forums, it's about the fact that the members don't want to post.

I am part of a number of alternate platforms (as well as traditional forums) and there are many discussions. Not spiritual ones, but gaming forums or music forums and at times it's hard to keep up with the posts.

Perhaps it's just the fact that the members don't want to discuss matters no matter the medium?

Foadle

July 17, 2020, 08:16:53 pm #10 Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 08:30:17 pm by Foadle
I can only agree with that to a point.  Every one has their own lives and certainly there are things that will grab people's attention more than others.  However that does not make a subject any less important.  Sadly, it is often the more important questions that people are reticent to discuss.

Music and gaming forums certainly have seen a surge, yet how do they impact real life?  You start trying to discuss real issues and people are less willing to come forward because attacks on those who do not believe what another does can often turn into a mob mentality and so people begin to feel it is not safe to discuss anything that does not fit in with new ideals about WOKE culture.

Another problem here is that Pete had inadvertently stopped new people joining this forum...with a lack of new blood it was bound to die.  Now that that has been rectified the forum is starting to get a little more life.

Pete

Actually to clarify, shutting off new registrations was intentional. After months of no new members and very little traffic, it became an immense burden dealing with the spambots. Every day I'd have dozens of registrations sneak through, with all sorts of spam. So when there was next to nothing going on here, I shut off registrations so I didn't have to spend a half hour each day cleaning up the spam. 

I've re-enabled registration with some new measures in place to thwart the spambots, which is working relatively well now. A few still manage to sneak through, but it's manageable. 

O0

Foadle

Thanks Pete.  Appreciate the work you put in here.

flaglady

I fully understand that, Pete. I'm having the same issues with my Buddy Holly archive/forum and since I stopped spammers posting I'm now getting emails from them instead! But I'm okay with the block on registrations because it was never really meant to be a discussion board (not a lot you can say about a singer who's been dead nearly 70 years!). But I just wanted to have a platform for all my archive material that I wanted to share with people, newspaper cuttings from 1958 and such.

Buddy Holly Forum

JakeELee

Quote from: Pete on July 17, 2020, 09:33:31 pmActually to clarify, shutting off new registrations was intentional. After months of no new members and very little traffic, it became an immense burden dealing with the spambots. Every day I'd have dozens of registrations sneak through, with all sorts of spam. So when there was next to nothing going on here, I shut off registrations so I didn't have to spend a half hour each day cleaning up the spam.

I've re-enabled registration with some new measures in place to thwart the spambots, which is working relatively well now. A few still manage to sneak through, but it's manageable.

O0

Out of interest are the bots smart enough to get a confirmation email and "reply"? I'm not much up on technology, just interested.

JakeELee

Quote from: Foadle on July 17, 2020, 08:16:53 pmI can only agree with that to a point.  Every one has their own lives and certainly there are things that will grab people's attention more than others.  However that does not make a subject any less important.  Sadly, it is often the more important questions that people are reticent to discuss.

Music and gaming forums certainly have seen a surge, yet how do they impact real life?  You start trying to discuss real issues and people are less willing to come forward because attacks on those who do not believe what another does can often turn into a mob mentality and so people begin to feel it is not safe to discuss anything that does not fit in with new ideals about WOKE culture.

Another problem here is that Pete had inadvertently stopped new people joining this forum...with a lack of new blood it was bound to die.  Now that that has been rectified the forum is starting to get a little more life.

What is WOKE culture? Not heard that one before....

Pete

Quote from: JakeELee on July 21, 2020, 01:13:07 pmOut of interest are the bots smart enough to get a confirmation email and "reply"? I'm not much up on technology, just interested.
Some are.

Ever heard of a honeypot? That's been our most effective measure for stopping bots.

O0

JohnDB

Quote from: Pete on July 21, 2020, 05:53:00 pmSome are.

Ever heard of a honeypot? That's been our most effective measure for stopping bots.

O0

Most of the ones I've seen are coming out of India lately...used to be Nigeria but then they got cut off.
It won't be long before they get cut off too.
I wanna die like grandpa, peacefully and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car...they were all screaming and panicking.