August 12, 2020, 10:10:29 pm

Hey Everybody :D

Started by Hisforever, July 03, 2020, 04:44:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Foadle

God has forgiven you.  That is what His word says: if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

But have you forgiven yourself?  All to often we question God's forgiveness of us, because we don't think we deserve it, and we don't forgive ourselves because we think we should be above that.  But even Paul said:

Romans 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

It is recognising that we are not always the people we think we should be, but that that is the very reason God sent Jesus: because our physical being does not allow us to be who we ought to be.  His forgiveness is what allows us to get up and keep going.

Hisforever

Quote from: Foadle on July 04, 2020, 09:03:47 pmGod has forgiven you.  That is what His word says: if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

But have you forgiven yourself?  All to often we question God's forgiveness of us, because we don't think we deserve it, and we don't forgive ourselves because we think we should be above that.  But even Paul said:

Romans 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.

It is recognising that we are not always the people we think we should be, but that that is the very reason God sent Jesus: because our physical being does not allow us to be who we ought to be.  His forgiveness is what allows us to get up and keep going.

No to answer your question. I usually have an easier time forgiving others more than myself. And yeah,.. with all the stupid things I've done,.. I don't deserve any of His love and forgiveness even though He's given it to me anyways.
Without actions to back them up, the words I love you are nothing but air coming out of your mouth.

Foadle

LOL.  That is the point: none of us deserve his forgiveness.  Why would a purely Holy and perfect God, want anything to do with any of us?  But He does?  I don't understand it, and it took me a very long time to truly believe it and receive it.  God want's to know me, who has walked contrary to Him in so many ways, even though I didn't want to and I confessed Him as Lord.

I am still putting that Lord bit into place.... :hugegrin:

jiminpa

I don't have anything to add to what Foadle is saying, but I did want to say that this site isn't just for those hurt on other forums, but it is a good place to run to.

my name is Jim, BTW.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

jiminpa

And it's nice to have new people on the forum.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Bryan

Quote from: jiminpa on July 06, 2020, 04:16:33 pmAnd it's nice to have new people on the forum.

That it is
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Foadle

Quote from: jiminpa on July 06, 2020, 04:12:22 pmI don't have anything to add to what Foadle is saying, but I did want to say that this site isn't just for those hurt on other forums, but it is a good place to run to.

my name is Jim, BTW.
Very true Jim.  Yes it started with hurt people, but lots of people have been here that have never been in those other forums.  It is just a generally peaceful place to be.  A place to be challenged, and to grow, but to know in all that that every one here is on a journey and they are seeking to help each other along the way.

Pete

Hey everyone!

So I am the much hyped, rarely seen "Pete" you've heard spoken of. 

It's nice to "see" new people here. This forum, as its name would imply, is all about God's Grace. I welcome challenging discussions and varying viewpoints so long as those discussions are kept kind and respectful. 

Now that I know there are actual, real people here, I will make it a point to log on and join in the discussions more. I look forward to getting to know you all better.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

jiminpa

Quote from: Pete on July 07, 2020, 08:17:59 pmNow that I know there are actual, real people here, I will make it a point to log on and join in the discussions more.
'scuse me? I know that I am an actual, real, person, with a pulse and everything. You've met Flaglady, and I'm pretty sure Bryan is quite real too. ;)

Bryan

Quote from: jiminpa on July 07, 2020, 09:44:15 pm'scuse me? I know that I am an actual, real, person, with a pulse and everything. You've met Flaglady, and I'm pretty sure Bryan is quite real too. ;)

Woah there lets not get carried away.  :)
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

flaglady

I was touched by your posts, Hisforever. Been there, done that! But Foadle it right - there's no point in continually asking God for his forgiveness when you don't forgive yourself. And that's often easier said than done! And forgiveness, whether from God or oneself, means letting go of something both in heart and mind and any other way we can hold onto these hurts. By that what is meant is remembering the hurt, either faintly or specifically, and that is much easier said than done. I've had nasty experiences both online and in real life and have actually even had counselling about one of more of them and the counsellor has, at one point or another, said (well meaning of course) "you just have to let go of these things" like it's decluterring a room but it really just isn't that easy. These bits of canker hang about in your mind and heart for months and years and you know that until you relinquish them - but completely - you'll never, ever be able to be free of them. I know this because, to quote the old saying "been there, done that" scores of times!

But now look at it from God's point of view: He grants forgiveness when it's asked for. He really, truly does. But if we don't a) forgive ourselves, b) don't let go of the experience, c) get rid of things that remind us such as letters, photos and mementos, then what good is His forgiveness? It's rather like blowing a raspberry in His face, you know?

No, we HAVE to accept the forgiveness, HAVE to believe in it and HAVE to trust that when God says he'll do something He really, truly means it. And it actually just takes a certain action from us to complete the 'contract' which is for us to grasp the gift with both hands and clear out all our clutter and debris that keeps this issue alive in our hearts and minds.