How to break the cycle of manipulation?

Started by Bryan, July 08, 2020, 11:15:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

I know first hand quite a few people who feel like they've been manipulated by overly zealous parents or the church in general and absolutely despise church and christians because of this.  The human psyche is not something that easily changed and so I'm just curious what others think or feel is most appropriate in handling people that have been manipulated by the church?

The obvious answer is pray for them, so I'm not really looking for that necessarily.  Once I had a friend who went to combat with me in Iraq that turned to atheism and he would always say very satanic things to me.  I just always responded with "Jesus loves you".  It took years but he called me one day and said that the patience I showed him and the love I gave him opened his heart and he had accepted Christ and even went a nationwide street preaching tour with another Iraq friend.

So answers like that just to garner a discussion.  What are some testimonies or examples you may have?  How can we reach people who have been deeply hurt due to manipulation?
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.