How to approach the Coronavirus

Started by LittleRocketBoy, March 03, 2020, 02:27:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Foadle

Thank you Pete.  I have no doubt that for you it was just that, and ... until I was convicted I would have asserted the same.  But as God talked to me I found that though your motives were kosher, mine were not.  It is something God has been addressing with me on and off for a little while now.  I know that you have always shown yourself to be a man of integrity and have acted accordingly.  In this case, I was not.

cheers

BTW: We are still under level 3 lockdown for the next 4 weeks but after that they should have put some things in place and they should start lifting some of the restrictions here...not sure what or how yet though.

Pete

We're supposed to find out "the plan" for Pennsylvania  next week. No timetable is set. They say it will be "data driven". I'm giddy with anticipation.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Foadle

I wouldn't get to excited...we were waiting for that for a month!

Pete

So I have another question for Jo and Foadle; are your citizens protesting the lockdown orders? We're seeing a growing number of people who are growing wary of being quarantined and are demanding local governments get things open again. Is that happening in your countries as well?

O0

Foadle

I saw that on one of the news reports.  No we haven't had that here, but I don't think our lockdowns are as severe as yours.  I think people are getting restless though

Pete

So we just heard today that our stay at home order is being extended by 8 days until May 8. That is when the reopening will begin, but we don't know exactly what that means or how it will happen yet.

O0

Foadle

Is this just on a regional basis or for the States as a whole?  Not wanting to put a dampener on things but I have seen the numbers coming out of the US. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
They have extended ours until about the same time and we have had less than 50 cases/day for a couple of weeks.  In fact the last couple of days has been less than 20.  I am not your government (thank goodness I am not any government in this situation; I would not want to be calling the shots) but with the figures coming out I would be wary of lifting restrictions too soon and making the problem worse.

BTW: I forgot to reply about the homemade face masks.  I agree with you.  At best all they would do is perhaps give people a sense that they were protected without really protecting them.  My mother has sent me a few links to the like but they really would do nothing unless they were hospital grade.

Pete

Unfortunately, there weren't really a lot of details. My guess is they will re-open county by county. That's how the stay-at-home orders started until the entire state was shut down.

Current data for my county has 59 confirmed infections, but we've also only tested about 550 people out of around 100,000. Can't really tell with such small testing numbers how widespread it might be.

They also started reporting by ZIP code today. My ZIP code has 1-4 confirmed cases according to the map. Surrounding ZIP codes have no more than 10-20 confirmed cases. But like I said, it's impossible to know if it's more widespread than that since so few tests are being done.

From what I can tell, they hope to ramp up the testing by May 8, which is why they're setting that as the target date to start reopening. More details are supposed to come out this week.

Also about the masks, it gets stupider every day. Now they are mandatory in stores, but not mandatory on public transportation. People are in much tighter quarters on a bus or a train than in a store, but face coverings are only mandatory in the store. Makes no sense at all.

:afro:

Foadle

:doh:  no logic to that at all.  We have had the opposite here where they have been telling us that the masks are more of a protection if worn by the one who has the virus than those who don't; and that they are better left for medical teams who are in extreme close proximity to patients (not just those with the virus).  That makes a lot more sense to me.

Having said that we certainly have had our share of illogical legislations around all this.  :shrug:

Just take precautions Pete.  It only takes one infected person and the whole thing could take off again.  Make sure you go in the protection of our Lord Jesus Christ...and pray Psalm 91 over yourself ;).

Off topic but an aside...how many people actually do come to this site now?  The last few days it has seemed like just you and I.  The only other I have seen has been Flaglady and even her only once.

Pete

Sadly, almost no one posts on HGO these days.

Jim, Jo, Bryan, and LittleRocketBoy post occasionally. We can go weeks at a time without any posts. I think in general, people just don't post on forums like they used to. Even Christian Forums, where I'll lurk every once in a while, is pretty dormant.

O0

Foadle

:cry: certainly lacks the vibrancy it once had here.  Times change though I guess.  Really it is only within our life time that communication like this has even be possible.  Still it is sad...and I helped it along, for I have not been around for a long long time either.

flaglady

Quote from: Pete on April 19, 2020, 01:14:14 amare your citizens protesting the lockdown orders?
No, we've had no campaigns against it and I was shocked to see the news reports from the US. But Pete, you know us Brits - we just LOVE an excuse to queue!

Quote from: Pete on April 21, 2020, 11:00:59 amJim, Jo, Bryan, and LittleRocketBoy post occasionally. We can go weeks at a time without any posts.
Quote from: Pete on April 21, 2020, 11:00:59 amI think in general, people just don't post on forums like they used to
I think those are very sad truths. This was such a lively forum (as was CF). I keep hoping and praying but no good.

Foadle

I guess now with facebook and twitter and the like, that has become the preference.  I have just got back on facebook, and I must say that there is no real discussion like you get here.

Pete

Quote from: Foadle on May 17, 2020, 04:36:33 pmI guess now with facebook and twitter and the like, that has become the preference.  I have just got back on facebook, and I must say that there is no real discussion like you get here.
That's true, but I honestly think that's the way many people prefer it. Facebook is rife with memes and one-liners that don't require any real thought. But it's remarkably intellectually lazy, IMHO. It's much easier for someone to repost something someone else said than it is to formulate one's own thoughts and practice some critical thinking skills. Ironically, those same people reposting other people's thoughts are often telling others they need to think for themselves. You can't make this stuff up...

O0

Foadle

Exactly right.  It comes back to something I have thought for a long time: Our world is living in an age of a progress illusion.  We live in a world where (for the west at least) there is little to no excuse for lack of communication, yet communication has been diminished to the levels of reposting and sharing memes and videos.  I have people who are confused when I say I have had no contact with them in a long time because they have been texting me YouTube videos or pictures or whatever...THAT IS NOT COMMUNICATION. 

Further we are in a world where with all the technology we are supposed to have had our time freed up, yet people are busier than they have ever been.  Why? 

No progress is not what we have been lead to believe...

Bryan

I'm sorry I've been distant.  I visit semi regularly, but just don't seem to be able to add any depth to the conversation.  That and I'm still struggling just to find some real meaning to my faith.  I do have a rather interesting question I'll ask on a new thread.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Bryan

I hardly ever visit CF anymore.  The last few times I did it seemed my normal spots have been overrun by rather radical posts.  Not all but it seemed like more than most.  I don't have the patience for it.  Which is funny because I am sure when I started there I could have easily been considered "a radical".

This coronavirus really ended up more prevalent than I first imagined it being, although if I'm going to be blunt I think it's still blown out of proportion.  I think the last statistics I saw were something like 90% of those who got it never even saw the hospital and out of that 10% who did get it on a serious level, only 10% of that number lost their life.

Now I'm not belittling any loss of life, but my point is society is reacting as though contracting the virus is a death sentence for anyone who contracts it when that's just not true.  Actually I remember when the panic first started in earnest, a very high profile politician said just that.  Fear mongering and it's despicable.

Here in the states most states are seeing a downward trend of cases and such and yet several are still in some type of archaic lockdown.  I know people are trying to be wise and we are all doing what we believe is right, but people have lost jobs, businesses, years of dreams and planning that this virus (and the response to it) has ripped away.  The anger is understandable.

I just hope and pray those who have lost something during this time can find some type of recompense at the back end.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Foadle

I am agreeing with you. Here in Australia we have not had anywhere near the number of cases you have had in the states.  We have had less than 30 new cases a day for weeks (normally less then 10 but there have been a couple of cluster outbreaks).  Despite this there are still restrictions across the country.  Some states (my own included) have still got there borders shut to other states, they are starting to open some restaurants and cafe's but only a maximum of 10 customers at a time inside! 

In many ways this whole thing has been overplayed...or was it.  It is seeming more and more like a practice run project to see how well the masses can be controlled, which in itself is concerning.

JohnDB

Quote from: Pete on May 18, 2020, 12:46:01 pmThat's true, but I honestly think that's the way many people prefer it. Facebook is rife with memes and one-liners that don't require any real thought. But it's remarkably intellectually lazy, IMHO. It's much easier for someone to repost something someone else said than it is to formulate one's own thoughts and practice some critical thinking skills. Ironically, those same people reposting other people's thoughts are often telling others they need to think for themselves. You can't make this stuff up...

O0

You aren't kidding.
Posting on forums goes up and down according to seasonal highs and lows.
The trend I'm currently seeing is that many people (like you and my wife) is working from home means that you have to show somewhat of an increased production to prove to the bosses that you are indeed actually working even though you aren't in the office at the time.

People used to peruse social media while at work...now with the added work they aren't.

And with the added isolation people aren't getting any real stimulation like they used to from work colleagues and others from face to face contact.

Which brings up the point that so many people aren't really living. They don't work towards things. I'm a bit different than most with my mechanical aptitude...but usually we all do something.

I've built a new cherry dining room table, two different jigsaw puzzles and now am starting on a new leather tool bag.
And as I do my various projects I come up against obstacles that I need to overcome...so I talk about them. Like a normal person.
Currently with people no one has a relationship providing an obstacle, tasks creating problems, or concerts or traffic or much of anything else going on.

Where these things are challenges that we overcome on a regular basis...they provide fodder for discussion and commiserating with friends. We don't even have daycare or schools.

It's killing our society in a lot of ways.

So between the mentally exhausted and the lack of interaction with the mentally proficient... social media is in the doldrums.

I'm personally irritated with it all as the arthritis in my knee (complete with a serious bone bruising) has me laid up for most of this quarantine. We came out of quarantine but we had to go back because the numbers balooned again.

I could go back to work if I was able...(got an appointment with the doctor next week)

I've seriously missed the birthday celebrations, Easter, Mother's Day, Father's day...my anniversary. The BBQ in the park and etc.

I know people are sneaking around and doing some of this...but it is a huge risk.

But as the summer gets too hot... people will come back with tales to tell.
I wanna die like grandpa, peacefully and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car...they were all screaming and panicking.

Episcopius

We should avoid it, not approach it.