• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Why have I heard Acts is not for theology/doctrine

Started by Bryan, August 31, 2019, 01:10:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

So simple question really.  We believe all 66 books of the Bible were inspired by the Holy Spirit and as such every word therein is true and accurate.

Yet, when it comes to the book of Acts I have heard people state, "Acts is just a church history book, not meant for doctrine."

Now I know the scope and tone is different from the Pastoral Epistles and really the Gospels, (although if we are going to be technical the Gospels are also "church" history books) but truly why is it that some or most state Acts is not for doctrine and thus the book is dismissed for such matters.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

flaglady

Hmm - can't say I've ever heard of this opinion before, Bryan. But I have heard similar applied to the entire Bible and generally, it's dismissed as not being particularly valid. I prefer to take the Bible as valid from cover to cover but then I'm not really very scholarly when it comes to discussions like this.

Bryan

It's ok, I was just curious really if anyone else had heard of this and if so, if they knew why.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Pete

I think, generally speaking, people tend to pick and choose what they are comfortable with in the Bible. Of course, most people wouldn't readily admit that, because I don't think most people are even aware of it. But make no mistake that our preconceived ideas, our culture, our biases, our blind spots, our personalities, our experiences and our agendas color what we believe.

Acts is where the disciples waited for and received the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in new tongues. Let's be honest here; tongues freaks a lot of people out. But rather than admit that people will say, "Oh, that's just a historical account" so they can convince themselves that they do believe everything in the Bible, but not have to apply all of it.

I think we're all guilty of this to some degree. I am ever aware of my biases and preconceived ideas. It's why I've moved away from saying things like, "The Bible says..." and now am careful to say, "I believe the Bible says..." instead. It's not that I don't believe the Bible is true and accurate. I absolutely do. But I know that my understanding of it is not complete.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

jiminpa

Quote from: Pete on September 03, 2019, 09:21:20 amI think, generally speaking, people tend to pick and choose what they are comfortable with in the Bible. Of course, most people wouldn't readily admit that, because I don't think most people are even aware of it. But make no mistake that our preconceived ideas, our culture, our biases, our blind spots, our personalities, our experiences and our agendas color what we believe.

Acts is where the disciples waited for and received the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in new tongues. Let's be honest here; tongues freaks a lot of people out. But rather than admit that people will say, "Oh, that's just a historical account" so they can convince themselves that they do believe everything in the Bible, but not have to apply all of it.

I think we're all guilty of this to some degree. I am ever aware of my biases and preconceived ideas. It's why I've moved away from saying things like, "The Bible says..." and now am careful to say, "I believe the Bible says..." instead. It's not that I don't believe the Bible is true and accurate. I absolutely do. But I know that my understanding of it is not complete.

O0
That's why I participate in discussion forums. The problem is that it has gotten quite clear with issues relating to the gifts of the Spirit that there are people who just refuse to see what is very explicitly in the scriptures. Those people no longer challenge me to examine my reading of the scriptures, because I just can't see them as anything but wrong, and most of them intentionally so. That makes me sad.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

jiminpa

On a similar note I went to a church last week, (I finally got Sundays off), the service was good, and I ran into 3 different friends who go there, but I checked out the church library and it had "Strange Fire" available for check out, so I won't be going back.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

jiminpa

September 03, 2019, 03:19:49 pm #6 Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 03:33:16 pm by jiminpa
Quote from: Pete on September 03, 2019, 09:21:20 amI think, generally speaking, people tend to pick and choose what they are comfortable with in the Bible. Of course, most people wouldn't readily admit that, because I don't think most people are even aware of it. But make no mistake that our preconceived ideas, our culture, our biases, our blind spots, our personalities, our experiences and our agendas color what we believe.

O0
I don't think it's just tongues, Pete. I find that most churches don't want to have to deal with the results of giving the Holy Spirit free reign among them. so they form convenient doctrines that exclude Him.

I hope that I'm at least a little better by admitting that I am currently struggling to give God free reign in my life. Letting God have control can be quite frightening, and I am far too fear driven right now. But I am working on it.

Bryan

Quote from: jiminpa on September 03, 2019, 02:45:20 pmOn a similar note I went to a church last week, (I finally got Sundays off), the service was good, and I ran into 3 different friends who go there, but I checked out the church library and it had "Strange Fire" available for check out, so I won't be going back.

Was it a Charismatic/Pentecostal church?  Seems like an odd book to have inthe library if so.

Bryan

O0

Pete you are full of wisdom friend.

Pete

Quote from: jiminpa on September 03, 2019, 03:19:49 pmI don't think it's just tongues, Pete. I find that most churches don't want to have to deal with the results of giving the Holy Spirit free reign among them. so they form convenient doctrines that exclude Him.

I hope that I'm at least a little better by admitting that I am currently struggling to give God free reign in my life. Letting God have control can be quite frightening, and I am far too fear driven right now. But I am working on it.
That's a fair point. We recently talked about identifying Jesus as our LORD at church. Many people have no issue with Jesus being their Savior, but it gets a bit trickier when we call Him LORD. Allowing the Spirit to have free reign is definitely an issue. Sometimes it takes us out of our comfort zone and no one likes to be out of their comfort zone.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

jiminpa

Quote from: Bryan on September 04, 2019, 07:44:59 pmWas it a Charismatic/Pentecostal church?  Seems like an odd book to have inthe library if so.
Christian and Missionary Alliance, so it was hard to know until I checked. The denomination gives the individual churches a lot of leeway on those things.

Bryan

Quote from: jiminpa on September 05, 2019, 02:19:38 pmChristian and Missionary Alliance, so it was hard to know until I checked. The denomination gives the individual churches a lot of leeway on those things.

Then I suppose it is good they had a bookstore to browse.

Bryan

Quote from: Pete on September 04, 2019, 10:38:55 pmThat's a fair point. We recently talked about identifying Jesus as our LORD at church. Many people have no issue with Jesus being their Savior, but it gets a bit trickier when we call Him LORD. Allowing the Spirit to have free reign is definitely an issue. Sometimes it takes us out of our comfort zone and no one likes to be out of their comfort zone.

O0

I admit I have an issue with giving the Spirit free reign.  I may like to think I do not, but I can see it looking back on things.

I truly desire a walk with the Spirit that rivals any of those in Acts.  And it is encouraging to know that the key players in Acts started as a fisherman and a waiter of tables (Peter&Stephen).  I just need to be faithful in the things God places before me.

I hope I recognize such opportunities and obwy when they happen