• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
August 20, 2019, 09:26:44 pm

Shooting in El Paso, TX

Started by Bryan, August 03, 2019, 09:26:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Another horrible tragedy, one that hits a bit closer to home for me.  I lived in El Paso for 6 years while in the military.  My wife worked in the mall that this shooting happened in and I still own a few electronic items that I purchased from this Walmart.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

jiminpa

August 04, 2019, 09:13:49 am #1 Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:27:15 am by jiminpa
It's sad. It's one of those things that makes me almost wish I didn't believe that freedom is better than authoritarianism. The facebook meme that points out that when we had gun racks in our trucks at school no one got shot makes me wonder what's changed since I was a teen, and wish that we could change that back.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Pete

My view on this is wildly unpopular, and I'm not speaking to anyone in particular with this post. I'm simply sharing my thoughts.

I'm aware that guns are inanimate objects that can do no harm on their own, but I find that position intellectually dishonest, and I'll tell you why.

It's become the norm now and we've basically accepted that mass shootings are just a horrible unintended consequence of the second amendment. Worse, many people believe there is nothing we can do about it.

I hear things from people like, "We need God!" And we absolutely do, but if you've read even just a little bit of the Bible, you'd know that people are going to move further and further away from God as the end approaches.

This is one topic that genuinely confuses me. It seems there is a very large population that is absolutely unwilling to admit that perhaps the ready availability of firearms is a factor in why there are so many mass shootings in the United States. Additionally, the logic is often quite hypocritical in nature. Guns don't kill people, but apparently, video games do? My mind boggles at such "logic".

I believe that matches don't start fires. Try it. Set a match on the floor and see if it just spontaneously combusts. But that doesn't mean I leave matches just laying around for children to pick up and do with what they please. I practice "match control" by keeping the matches away from children who might not know any better and start a fire with them.

My point is, it seems to me that it is almost impossible to have a rational conversation on this topic. I believe in responsible gun ownership, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't seriously consider limiting the style, capacity and availability of those weapons in light of the times we live in and situations we must deal with. How? I don't know, but I know we can't even start the conversation as long as there are people who refuse to admit the obvious.

Yes, this is a spiritual problem, but I believe there are natural, practical steps that could be taken to attempt to limit the frequency in which these shootings occur instead of just tossing our hands up and saying nothing can be done.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

flaglady

I so agree with what you've said, Pete.

A couple of days ago, PC Andrew Harper, a young policeman in the UK was sent with colleague to investigate an ongoing attempted robbery of a quad bike. It seems the officer, in an attempt to apprehend the perpetrator, he got caught in the car and was dragged along the road for several yards during which the car actually ran over him. He died on site from the injuries he sustained. This young officer was in his early 20s and had married only 4 weeks previously.

God rest his soul