• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
May 25, 2019, 07:54:26 pm

Why are we here?

Started by Pete, March 18, 2019, 10:26:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I'm sure some of you saw the incident that transpired here over the weekend, so I'd like to take a moment to address it head-on.

For those of you that missed it, there were a number of posts that attacked our small membership group here, accusing the group of exclusivity and only wanting to pat each other on the back. Had the posts not been laden with personal insults and explicit language, I would have left them in place so you could have read them yourself.

It should be no secret to anyone here that I believe very strongly in demonstrating love and grace to everyone, especially to those that most others would prefer to write off.  While it is very easy for us to become offended and upset when someone accuses us, we must not forget that our instruction from Jesus Christ is to Love one another as He Loved us. How did Jesus love? He laid down His very life for our redemption. He took insults, torment and physical abuse, for me. For you. And when I remember that, anything anyone might say that is "offensive" to me pales in comparison.

With all of that in mind, I do not believe that walking in Love means that you must act as a doormat or as someone else's personal punching bag. Loving someone does not mean that you must allow someone to say or act however they please while you just sit there and take it. That is the main reason why those posts have been removed.

So that brings me to my OP. Why are we here? Contrary to the accusation over the weekend, I don't believe that we're here to just sit around patting each other on the back in full agreement with one another. I believe that we are here to challenge one another, to grow together, to learn together. But those things can only happen in an environment of mutual respect and humility.

I don't get to post here as often as I would like, but I do read everything that is posted. I believe that despite the fact that we're down to 3-4 people, the topics raised and discussed are interesting, thought-provoking and meaningful. And while I have not always joined into the conversations, you've all made me think about the things I believe and why. That is why I'm here. That is why HGO is here. And anyone who is on board with being challenged and discussing things in a polite, resepctful manner, even if we don't agree on everything, is more than welcome to join in the discussions.

We are absolutely not perfect. We all have various struggles. We're all human. But Love makes allowances. So for me, HGO is yet another place to practice walking in Love towards others. I don't always get it right, but I'm thankful for God's grace and I try to show the same grace towards others that I want God to show to me.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

jiminpa

Yes, we can often "leave" a little better than when we "came in." Even with the exchanges with Dave, I was able to examine some things about myself. He did make some good points, interspersed with some not so good ones and some serious rage. May he find peace in his life, and we know that there is only one true source for that.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Hisgirl

Whatever happened, I missed it. Was at Disney world with my hubby, visiting an elderly relative whom I love. (the relative wasn't at disney world but what if she WAS? What if disney world had an old folks home where they could hear the parades and watch the children and eat ice cream??) 

Anyway, everyone has a really hard day every now and then and needs to let off steam and sometimes we get the brunt of it. That's okay. Makes my heart hurt though. 

Whomever it was, and I don't want anybody responding to that, but I'd like to sit down with a cup of coffee and talk about good things and say 'hey..its okay'  

Life sure can be hard and it feels overwhelming sometimes. Sometimes I find myself pondering how more folks love me on the other side, than on this side and I long for that grand reunion. But...here I am and we're as close to hell as we're ever gonna be, so we manage.

And sometimes we don't manage well.

So if someone reads this please know that if you ever wanna chat, vent, yell, whatever...I'm happy to listen and I probably have chocolate cake in the freezer (I realize you aren't here to share so I'll have to eat it) 

So Pete...yeah...we're here to be ourselves. The good, the bad, the ugly. Thank you for the venue. And thank God for grace. Lots and lots of grace.
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

jiminpa

Quote from: Hisgirl on March 20, 2019, 09:01:06 amWhomever it was, and I don't want anybody responding to that...

Great attitude about the situation, and that statement challenged me to check my heart about it, since I wanted to say something about the exchanges. Then I realized that it revealed something in me that I can improve on.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Hisgirl

I have to stop and ask myself 'is this person a brother or a sister'? And if so, they are family. And if they aren't, then I want them. As family. Everyone was made in God's image and I believe there is good, sometimes deep down, but good somewhere, somehow and I believe our value is not how we've been treated, or even what we believe about ourselves, but our value is in the price that was paid. I have to keep reminding myself when I get rejected. 
"Hey, you can't reject me! You're not the one who made me accepted!" hahaha, it's a process, right? 

Bless you Jim.
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

jiminpa

...speaking of processes...I've been trying to apply Ephesians 4:29 which says that all of our speech should build the hearer up, since early in 1982. I'm still working on it.