Is it possible to love God but not believe in him

Started by Bryan, January 25, 2019, 03:54:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

Something I was just thinking about is what my OP title suggests.

Is it possible for a person to love God and yet not believe in him in a saving sort of way.

Really just thinking back about some things in my own life got me wondering what kind of relationship I have/have had with God.  So what do you folks think?
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

flaglady

I'd put that in another tense. Would it be possible to love your brother or sister without believing in them?
I think the clear answer to that is no.

Optimax

John 14:15
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
KJV

John 14:21
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
KJV

flaglady

LittleRocketBoy

Well 1 Cor 13 says love believes all things. I read that to mean that if you believe something,it is because love is there. No love, no belief. If you need to believe something, throw some love in there.
Just some thoughts.

Foadle

This caught my attention as I was reading through some of the posts I have missed in my prolonged absence.  In fact I just started a thread regarding what God has been showing me about relationship (See Deeper Fellowship).

In a literal sense I would say it is impossible.  Having said that there is another level which makes no sense to the logical brain; and here I am coming from my own experience.

There is a point at which we want to love God.  We know, and to some extent believe in His goodness and mercy.  But the truth is that we don't necessarily trust Him, and this is where the unbelief comes in.  It is not that you don't believe He exists, you do.  In accordance to the OP though, it is more that you're not so sure about reaching out your faith to believe all that He says, in this case, salvation.

Yes there is a point at which, out of our own will power we do love Him as much as we know how, but for whatever reason, we still don't necessarily trust.  The thing to realise though is something that I am learning...I CAN'T do it.

1 John 4:19 We love Him because He first loved us.

I have discovered I have some major trust issues.  And as much as I would not have liked to admit this, they have extended to God in a major way.  So as much as I knew how, I loved God.  But I still didn't really believe that He had my best at heart.  I kind of knew it in my head, but I never really believed it.  But I know that as I allow God to love me, then I will learn to love Him, not out of what I think and how I feel, but out of His heart of love for me, I am just giving it back to Him.  Just a thought I had as I was writing that...It is kind of like we are tithing on the love He has given us, and we are returning some of that to Him.

Bryan, all I can say is it is a journey.  Don't beat yourself up.  And allow God to do it in you.  It is a journey I also am on.  Not easy, but God knows how I function.  As I focus on building relationship with Him, scripture says that He will build the others stuff in me.