• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
March 22, 2019, 02:22:03 pm

A new thread

Started by DavidMcClean, December 07, 2018, 11:51:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jiminpa

December 12, 2018, 10:06:09 am #20 Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 10:40:20 am by jiminpa
Quote from: flaglady on December 11, 2018, 04:17:25 pmGeeze! For a moment there, I thought I'd gone back in time and was in CF!  Thanks for the memory, guys!  Not very nice but illuminating!
Yes, I can get overzealous at times. I'm working on it.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Bryan

There's a lot tough pack there David and my attention span is short so I'll try to stay focused on your post.

I do honestly empathize with you on a personal level concerning your hurts over family.  My two oldest children are autistic and I have also lost 2 children and I cannot tell you how many days and nights Ive wondered just what it all means in respect to my faith and God.

Now I'm not as zealous or as religious as I used to be (in full disclosure).  I do still believe and do believe that when God is ready for me to do whatever he will lead me to such.  So I havent fully went over that cliff so to speak.

About your faith concerns, these are all valid points.  They really are.  How could God have such standards in the OT and suddenly change in the New.  I would say something you alluded to.  It's Jesus.

Jesus became the living embodiment of the Law, the Law which had such strict and somewhat mind boggling commands.  That when he died, the Law died as well so that God's grace could flow freely to all.  I don't have to fully understand my Creator to know that he exists and has my best interests at heart.  Things may not make sense in this life, to be honest, they may never make sense, but we must believe God is acting according to a plan he has set forth and trust him.

Children may not always understand why their parents say no or even yes to requests but they usually believe their parents have their best interests in mind and are acting accordingly.

Sure God has the power to do anything, heal a sickness, prevent death from a loved one, and he chooses not to do so in a lot of situations, who knows why?  Only He does, we can question why, but shouldn't let that affect our faith.  And to the person that told you to be glad because your loved one was healed completely, that is ridiculous and you were well within your rights to be upset about such a senseless comment.

Lastly, about scriptures being reliable.  I have issues with this too.  I've voiced in this very forum questions about an exchange Paul wrote about in Romans 9:19-20 about how God uses the disobedient to bring grace to others or something to that effect.  When asked why God punishes those who he ultimately uses to bring grace to others, he tells them not to question God.

I have struggled with this and still do.  How can God punish people and never give them the opportunity to be saved.  I don't want to believe Calvinsim but that aspect of it seems more and more likely.  So while those who are saved get to enjoy that benefit those who are forced out have nothing to look forward to.  I struggle with that

So finally, I rabbit trailed off to say I'm sorry things turned out the way they did.  I truly hope you have found some peace in the days, months, years following your loved ones death and just in your struggles.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

DavidMcClean

Quote from: Bryan on December 12, 2018, 01:10:48 pmThere's a lot tough pack there David and my attention span is short so I'll try to stay focused on your post.

I do honestly empathize with you on a personal level concerning your hurts over family.  My two oldest children are autistic and I have also lost 2 children and I cannot tell you how many days and nights Ive wondered just what it all means in respect to my faith and God.

Now I'm not as zealous or as religious as I used to be (in full disclosure).  I do still believe and do believe that when God is ready for me to do whatever he will lead me to such.  So I havent fully went over that cliff so to speak.

About your faith concerns, these are all valid points.  They really are.  How could God have such standards in the OT and suddenly change in the New.  I would say something you alluded to.  It's Jesus.

Jesus became the living embodiment of the Law, the Law which had such strict and somewhat mind boggling commands.  That when he died, the Law died as well so that God's grace could flow freely to all.  I don't have to fully understand my Creator to know that he exists and has my best interests at heart.  Things may not make sense in this life, to be honest, they may never make sense, but we must believe God is acting according to a plan he has set forth and trust him.

Children may not always understand why their parents say no or even yes to requests but they usually believe their parents have their best interests in mind and are acting accordingly.

Sure God has the power to do anything, heal a sickness, prevent death from a loved one, and he chooses not to do so in a lot of situations, who knows why?  Only He does, we can question why, but shouldn't let that affect our faith.  And to the person that told you to be glad because your loved one was healed completely, that is ridiculous and you were well within your rights to be upset about such a senseless comment.

Lastly, about scriptures being reliable.  I have issues with this too.  I've voiced in this very forum questions about an exchange Paul wrote about in Romans 9:19-20 about how God uses the disobedient to bring grace to others or something to that effect.  When asked why God punishes those who he ultimately uses to bring grace to others, he tells them not to question God.

I have struggled with this and still do.  How can God punish people and never give them the opportunity to be saved.  I don't want to believe Calvinsim but that aspect of it seems more and more likely.  So while those who are saved get to enjoy that benefit those who are forced out have nothing to look forward to.  I struggle with that

So finally, I rabbit trailed off to say I'm sorry things turned out the way they did.  I truly hope you have found some peace in the days, months, years following your loved ones death and just in your struggles.
Thanks Bryan! Appreciate your heart felt reply, and your empathy - many thanks! :)

jiminpa

Dave, I want to reiterate my apology for being confrontational. A soft answer was called for. I let me emotions respond and that is rarely good.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

DavidMcClean

December 21, 2018, 05:50:42 pm #24 Last Edit: December 23, 2018, 11:55:38 pm by DavidMcClean
Thanks

jiminpa

December 30, 2018, 08:53:19 pm #25 Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 09:03:24 pm by jiminpa
I've been thinking about how to answer your questions, but I have a problem with that. My way of thinking is a bit different from most people's. My experience with God has taught me that He is absolutely reliable, even when I don't understand or like what happens. Like King David, I would rather trust Him at His "worst" than the alternative. I can't relate to someone who would turn on God just because life in this fallen world is painful, and yes, very painful.

As for God creating evil...I have 3 possible answers.

The first you may consider a cop out, but here goes. The word that is translated "evil" in Old English is synonymous with calamity. God can bring hard times for a purpose.

One that makes sense and allows for God creating all things including evil, but is probably wrong or incomplete, is that without the presence of evil there is no choice between good and evil, so creating evil is a greater good than the lack of all evil.

The final answer I have is that quite honestly, we are not nearly as smart as we think. I would say that compared to infinity we are infinitely stupid--not just you, all of us. God's ways are not our ways. He is higher than we are, on a level we are incapable of imagining. For us to attempt to explain God, by my observation, is ludicrous and would be comical if it weren't for us making life decisions in our inabilities.

In my case, I am God's servant, not the other way around, whether He does what I want or not.

That's what I got, for whatever it's worth.

DavidMcClean

January 12, 2019, 07:49:14 pm #26 Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 08:55:03 pm by DavidMcClean
Thanks for your reply

jiminpa

Quote from: DavidMcClean on January 12, 2019, 07:49:14 pmThanks for your reply

You're welcome. As usual, it's not as eloquent as Pete's but what I can tell you about how I see your questions. I don't view the world the way most people do, at least so it seems.

DavidMcClean

I had a big long reply typed out then thought "what the hells the point?" So I just replied with a one liner.

On a different note I have been offered a really good job today, start date confirmed for 28th Jan and contract in the post, so celebrating with cava, beer and pork rinds. I somehow think the pork will kill me quickest ;)

When I told her, my mum said "if you don't mind I'll say thank you God" and my reply was "I don't mind at all, I'll just say thank you to me for having 20 years experience and doing a blinding interview" - she took it with her usual good humour. My mum's pretty cool - she has a bible on one side of the bed, with a TD Jakes book and an ashtray on the other hehe :)

flaglady

Well that was a good combo David! :cheesy: 

I've had a bit of a faith test this last few weeks. Have two metal knees that have been doing well since 2009 and 2015. Last summer the second one began hurting. I saw the bone doctor and he is investigating me for either a loose implant, and infection or both! Oh joy!

DavidMcClean

January 18, 2019, 06:22:03 pm #30 Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:26:20 am by DavidMcClean
Yea - mums are cool! :)

Hisgirl

David,

Your post struck me hard.

I don't come here anymore as life has caught up with me and I just got busy with other things. But the other day, an email popped up with alerts and I saw your post.  I haven't stopped thinking about one thing you said.

Your daughter.

From the deepest bottom of my heart, I hurt for you. I want to hug you and feed you hot soup. Can you share about her? I wanted to know more. Who your sweet girl was and I wanted to ...I guess...honor her life in any way I can.

You suffered a lot David. More than anyone should ever have to suffer. You and your wife both.

It's not up to me to make judgements on your belief. 

But I wanted to reach out and offer you my very deepest sympathy. 

Dana
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

DavidMcClean

February 01, 2019, 05:09:31 pm #32 Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:58:12 pm by DavidMcClean

Hisgirl

February 01, 2019, 05:30:13 pm #33 Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:35:00 am by Hisgirl
I'm very happy for your new job!

Ya know. People. They sure can change when they grow up and get influenced by all kinds of crapola. And yes, your little girl with the smiles and disney dresses. I love that. And there, under all the yuck, that little girl's heart was still there, it just got, polluted.

You've a good heart David, and a smart mind. I think things are turning around for you. Enjoy your new job and all of the adventures this year will bring. Plant some mint and a tomato plant or two. Life is coming. :-)
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

DavidMcClean

February 01, 2019, 08:16:32 pm #34 Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 09:57:52 pm by DavidMcClean

Hisgirl

Quote from: DavidMcClean on February 01, 2019, 08:16:32 pmDid you listen to the links I posted by any chance?

What did you mean by "honor her life in any way I can"?

TBH it was hard for me to share very personal things about her, and it seemed...I dunno....more about my job.

O well...whatever.

I believe acknowledging someone's life, sharing a memory, remembers that person and honors the good things. And, no, I didn't see any links? 

Hisgirl

Just saw them now! Weird, I missed it first time

DavidMcClean

flaglady

Three in a row, David? Why do you bother in the first place?
Don't you know we'd LOVE to hear from you?

Hisgirl

Hey there David, 

I wanted to say Thanks for sharing. I know that was personal.

You've always been truly welcome here and I, for one, appreciated your sharing. I hope you truly love your job and that days are looking brighter each and every morning.