September 23, 2018, 08:42:37 AM

Loss of someone important to me.

Started by jiminpa, September 12, 2018, 12:03:50 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

jiminpa

In 1981 when I was about to not have a home, a pastor heard about my situation and stepped in. He could do 2 things for me, the first was announce my situation in church, and the second was take me to a homeless shelter with a work program. I met God at the homeless shelter, and a family with a farm gave me a home 2 weeks later. That pastor was Vern Borchert and he went to be with the Lord a few days ago. For Vern's sake I'm glad that he is where he is now, but my world has a huge hole in it.

And I want to tell Bess about it.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

flaglady

Oh you poor darling! I can only try to imagine what it must be like to lose your mentor like that. It surely must be a big hole. God bless you!

jiminpa

Thanks Jo. One of his sons gave a sermon that was Vern's most important 3 things, but I only remember the first one, which is "you are not a mistake." What I remember about the second one was that it's a natural flow of the first, and the I'm pretty sure the last one was about the importance of showing people Jesus. If you start from the standpoint that the person you are interacting with is God's workmanship the importance of Jesus for them becomes a matter of course. It figures that I would go to Vern's funeral and Dan would speak a message that was both encouraging and challenging. Dan did a great job of holding himself together to give that message too.

Vern really did love everyone he came into contact with, and served everyone in any way he could find to do so. I really want to find my way to do the same, but I've figured out that my way of doing that isn't the same as Vern's. He, with God, pulled solutions out of thin air, and he was good with his hands. I'm not so good with my hands.

He will be very missed.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

jiminpa

He was 75. He wasn't feeling well, skipped dinner and went and lied down. When his wife went to check on him a little later he wasn't breathing, and the EMTs weren't able to revive him, so he went to lie down and went to our true home.

flaglady

That was very moving, Jim. I was really touched by what you said and it's given me thoughts to mull over for quite a while. I was particularly moved by the comment " the person you are interacting with is God's workmanship". Great stuff!

jiminpa

Sounds foundational, doesn't it, but somehow we've forgotten it, and are rarely reminded. I think if we heard a little more of that, and the truth of God's grace, (that it is God's enabling power), balanced with the fear of God, we would be so much more salt and light to this fallen world.

flaglady

Oh I so agree! However, I'm a bit of a hypocrite saying it because I haven't been near a church for years. I really wish I found it easier to make friends because doesn't matter where I go, that's what usually sends me away from the church. People might say 'hi' but that's about it. Still, that's beginning to sound like an excuse for not following that cue for interaction we were talking about!

Go Up