December 16, 2018, 09:56:21 AM

Blind obedience

Started by Bryan, May 01, 2018, 10:43:58 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Bryan

Should Pastors receive blind obedience from their parishioners/congregations?
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Bryan

I ask only for conversation sake, nothing happened to provoke this topic.  I know some who are under Pastors that will threaten and abuse if they are not followed completely and rather sheepishly.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

jiminpa

May 01, 2018, 12:44:57 PM #2 Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 12:55:07 PM by jiminpa
God Himself is worthy of blind obedience, the rest of us, definitely not! I would go even further. If I were sitting under a "pastor" demanding blind obedience, I wouldn't stay under that pastor. I would consider it my duty to my walk with God to not just leave the situation, but to flee it. I've been in that position. I didn't run around gossiping about it. I just left. When friends from the church called to ask, I told them that we just didn't think the church was right for us any longer, and left it at that. 

Bibllically, we can look at the first disciples in the book of Acts. When the pastors of the day told them to stop speaking of Jesus, they asked if it is better to obey man or God.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

flaglady

[QUOTE=jiminpa]I've been in that position.  When friends from the church called to ask, I told them that we just didn't think the church was right for us any longer, and left it at that. [/QUOTE]
Me too. There's nothing so miserable as being held back from your calling by a pastor. That's why I don't church any more. I was never able to find a church that wasn't like that much as I would love to.

Go Up