December 16, 2018, 09:56:25 AM

Terror of God and grace

Started by jiminpa, April 22, 2018, 03:11:05 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

jiminpa

I can't really develop this at the moment, but if anyone wants to jump in, have at it.

Do we shortchange God's grace by not fully understanding how heart-meltingly terrifying He really is? I think so.
2 Cor 5:11, PS 47:2
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Bryan

April 23, 2018, 04:35:10 PM #1 Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 11:07:04 AM by Bryan
So I had a different response originally, but I think this is more appropriate.

Do we shortchanged grace but failing to fear God?  Yes, undoubtedly.  There is a reason all scripture speaks of "fearing Yahweh".  And it doesn't mean just to reverently honor him.  If we see Yahweh as the truly powerful and consuming God he is, then our fear will lead us to grace.  For we will then know that despite our fear he gives grace.  Our fear will cause us to tremble, his grace will enable us to stand.  Having a false view on his presence and being will inherently cause a false view of grace.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

flaglady

I remember once reading that if we really had any idea how truly, infinitely powerful God is, we'd be far too terrified to even think of trying to communicate with Him. He's bigger than the universe, stronger and more powerful than the gravity of all the planets in the universe. That we can communicate with Him anyway gives testimony to His mercy and grace. I often think about that when I am praying.

jiminpa

Quote from: flaglady on April 26, 2018, 07:28:08 PM
I remember once reading that if we really had any idea how truly, infinitely powerful God is, we'd be far too terrified to even think of trying to communicate with Him. He's bigger than the universe, stronger and more powerful than the gravity of all the planets in the universe. That we can communicate with Him anyway gives testimony to His mercy and grace. I often think about that when I am praying.

That's very close to what I'm thinking. I think too, that we forget that the God who is love is also capable of wrath beyond our comprehension. Then consider His sacrifice to satisfy that wrath, and that we can not only be exempted from the wrath, but we can go to Him for the ability to overcome all obstacles.

It's become popular to focus on a redefined "grace" to the extent that God becomes a sickeningly sweet old grandparent with no capacity for judgement or even correction, and I think we do not only God, but ourselves too, a grave disservice in forgetting what we are saved from and how high the price.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

flaglady

Go Up