December 17, 2018, 04:32:21 AM

A word

Started by Bryan, June 01, 2017, 11:55:16 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Bryan

I would like to share this word I believe the Spirit shared with me just now.

Speak and live as though the entire Christian Faith depended upon you.  As if you were the only Christian on Earth.  Will your words and deeds win the world, or will the faith die with you?
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

jiminpa

I completely disagree with you this time. I get that we sometimes need that much motivation to get us out and trying to reach people, but I just don't see that level of importance to any one of us in the scriptures. Paul said, and I don't remember where, something to the effect of, some plant, some water, some harvest. Jesus only did what He saw the Father do. I'm perfectly content with doing what God puts in my path and letting others play the role they are given in the same situation. The only time I've ever "harvested" was with someone else, who had also done all of the watering and cultivating with that person. God has blessed me with later meeting up with 2 people who I got to water and cultivate, to let me know that I don't always see what He is doing through me.

If all of Christianity rests on our shoulders individually, then each one of us has to be more than Superman. That kind of pressure leads to legalism, from my experience. We do need to do everything that God puts in front of us, for our benefit. God is perfectly capable of doing things without us, but lets us co-labor with Him, for our joy. 

That's my view. Feel free to disagree.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Bryan

It's all good.

The implication I got was not stress yourself out because you are the only one, but to watch your manner of conduct and speech.  If you were the last believer on earth would your conduct and speech win the lost or would it drive them away?

No harm in disagreeing.  :)
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

jiminpa

Quote from: Bryan on June 02, 2017, 08:37:03 AM
It's all good.

The implication I got was not stress yourself out because you are the only one, but to watch your manner of conduct and speech.  If you were the last believer on earth would your conduct and speech win the lost or would it drive them away?

No harm in disagreeing.  :)
I have no fear of disagreeing with you. I am fully confident that you know my intent and can hold your own in a disagreement.

I like your elaboration. It makes more sense, and is much harder for the accuser to use as ammunition. We know that he is always looking for well-intended ideas to turn against us.  You may want to add that to your thread "over there," on CF.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

jiminpa

On a side note, Bryan, don't let the accuser tell you that anything that you have done in your grief has disqualified you. I think I'm hearing that you still need time to grieve and heal, and that God has a timetable for you to move in your gift of teaching. It will be frustrating if you jump out ahead, or wait to long. Listen for His "go ahead" and watch for Him to open the door. 

...or maybe He's saying that to me.  ;)

Bryan

As I said in another place you know I love you Jim!

I certainly believe the value of waiting for God to fully develop me for his purpose.  My wife and I were just talking about this actually.  How I know quite a few that are so "go" oriented that they miss the "better" part (Luke 10:38-42).

Moses waited 40 years in Miriam before God called him.

David had every reason to take Sauls life.  David was the anointed, Saul was cast aside.  Yet David said I will wait until God makes the move!

Paul didn't immediately begin to undertake missionary trips, we went off into the desert then spent years in Tarsus/Antioch until the Holy Spirit said "Set aside Saul and Barnabas for the work I have called them" (Acts 13:2)

I do get discouraged when I feel like I should be doing something, but I trust God to reveal his timing and plan when he desires.  I just stay in an attitude of prayer so when he speaks I will be listening.

So don't be discouraged brother, I believe most people he calls he desires this of them.  Very few get a calling and anointing and then are immediately set loose.  Stephen was one such person.

At least that is how I see it, could be wrong.

jiminpa

Quote from: Bryan on June 02, 2017, 10:41:19 AM
As I said in another place you know I love you Jim!
It's mutual.

This is an easy place to love people, all 3 of us. :)

DiscipleHeLovesToo

what is considered 'appropriate conduct and speech' is most often relative to what people have been taught by the world around them.  for example, what would you think of someone who occasionally doesn't wash their hands before they eat a meal where they touch food that others also eat?  or someone with outright and consistent criticism of 'church' leadership?  or someone who implied that a lost person asking for help is a dog?  or someone who provides alcoholic beverage to a group of 'hard-partiers' who have already drunk up all the alcohol available?  or someone who seems to promote cannibalism?  or someone who occasionally spits on people?  or a Christian who occasionally puts lost people out of their presence, and sometimes ignores people pleading for help? or that tells someone who needs money to go fishing?  or that walks into a group of people who desperately need healing and only ministers to one person, and then disappears?  or someone who tells a person that has received a notable miracle to not tell anyone about it?  or rightly tells a man that just walked on water that he has 'little faith' (which was enough to keep him from sinking) and that his own doubts caused him to sink?  or implies that people can command a storm to calm down?  or consistently tells people in desperate situations that what they themselves believe will determine their outcome?  what about someone that occasionally talks to the devil?  Jesus did all of these things, yet His conduct and speech were never inappropriate.

we aren't smart enough to know how to act and what to say at any given time; we should not strive to perfect outward behavior and speech, as this depends on our own puny and grossly inadequate wisdom - we should strive to be led by the Holy Spirit as our example Jesus did.  remember that it isn't how people see us that brings them to change - it is the ridiculously excessive goodness of God they see coming through us in spite of our flaws that brings people to seek the same God that shows us such great mercy and grace.  our job is to keep our joy level high, because the joy of the Lord is our strength; to be happy and trust God in spite of our mistakes and flaws and circumstances; to stay so full of God's word that when we get 'poked' by the devil, God's word gets squeezed out of us - this is what attracts people to God - the Goodness He shows us that we don't deserve any more than they do. 

if you're led by God, you'll find yourself doing and saying things that don't fit with what the world considers 'appropriate conduct and speech', but that's usually when miracles occur :)
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Go Up