December 17, 2018, 05:30:27 AM

Abiding in Him

Started by Bryan, April 25, 2017, 12:48:58 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Bryan

John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you.

In this thread, I really only want to talk about things I have learned about abiding in his presence.  This is just my own experience, supplemented by literature on the topic.  I did fall away for a time, but as the fall turns to winter and a barren earth, so too must the ground bear fruit again and life comes back to that which was dead.

So I remember it clearly several summers ago, sitting outside, I had determined I would not get up until the Lord had spoken to me.  What seemed like hours passed.  Asking Him what was he saying, what was he doing, just speaking from my heart and taking long breaks in between just to listen, and then as if almost a whisper "Seek Me, Know Me, Love Me"

I started that night on this journey where I wanted to do nothing more than live in the presence of Jesus constantly.  Now I am not the first to do this, nor do I claim to be.  I have benefitted greatly from Borrher Lawrence, Frank Laubach, Andrew Murray to name a few. I hope this discussion is beneficial as well.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Bryan

Oh God!  Change me!  I am wretched and filthy.  Covered in the muck of this flesh that is corrupted and diseased.  Oh Lord I have failed you and fallen short of what you desired of me.  Without you, I am nothing.  I am nothing.  Left to my own devices I can do nothing but cause mischief and mayhem.  Jesus, I trust you.  I love you Jesus.  I do Lord I really do. It hurts me deeply to know what I have done and how I have acted.  How can you forgive someone as wretched and lowly as me?  I have no other hope for peace than to seek you with a heart full of thankfulness.  I thank you Jesus for loving me.  I thank you Jesus for calling to me and turning me from the darkness!  Thank you Jesus for giving me hope.  For giving me a way out of the darkness that have penetrated every fiber of my being.  Lord, I do not know anything but that I want to dwell in your presence every moment of my life, to gaze upon your glorious face and hear your voice.  Donwith me what you may oh Lord!  What rights does the clay have over the potter?  What ability does the clay have to speak back concerning its formation and existance?  Forgive me oh Lord for abandoning you!  Forgive me for turning my face from you.  Forgive me for hiding from you.  My heart hurts with how awful I have been.  Please Lord, please set me back on the path you ordained for me from the beginning.  I may not know what the path holds for me but I do trust you.  I trust you.  I love you.  I want you!  Change me Jesus!  May my heart be full of love for you!  Change me of Lord!  Change me I pray!  Please oh Lord...  Fill me with your Spirit Lord... Fill me please Jesus.  Change me
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Bryan

So earlier I heard God's voice as I was seeking his guidance on a matter.  I have been seeking God's intent for me regarding possibly getting rebaptized.  Some responses I have received have been interesting at best, but more to the point.

Earlier today I took my eyes off Christ for just a moment and he said to me:

If you cannot obey my voice in the smaller matters, you cannot expect to hear my voice in larger matters.

At least I felt this was God speaking to me.  I also felt he told me the last 2 years were a test meant to try my faith and that he was pleased with my outcome.  I cannot say I am very pleased with how I have been but I suppose if God said he was then I cannot complain.

So it was nice and comforting to hear my Saviors voice once again.  Anyone have any thoughts on if that may or may not have been the Lord?

Bryan

May 03, 2017, 12:10:30 PM #3 Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:54:00 PM by Bryan
So been a rough few days as I have been hammered pretty hard with conviction of some things I knew about but don't honestly think I confessed or even cared about.

So as I have sought the Lord, he has peeled back some layers of myself I just wasn't prepared for I think.

I have always been a very proud person, well since reaching "adulthood".  I was always told when I was younger I was worthless and wouldn't accomplish much.  So as an adult I had to prove those people wrong.  That has caused a lot of pride which has led me to be a "successful" person per se, but that pride has come with a cost.  This was probably the hardest conviction I received.  Still not entirely sure if my repentance was sincere not, I am very confused on this matter.

Living in fear.  God convicted me pretty harshly on this note too.  And for good reason, fear will kill a person just as quickly as pride.  You see I would never admit this until now, but I have always intended to do right by God, but all the good intentions doesn't do a thing if I sit on my rear end with excuses.

I think the hardest one to deal with though was being convicted of my lack of faith in general.  Not necessarily for my previous past, but just in general.  I cannot really explain it other than I knew God was dealing with me pretty severely.  The passage that most came to mind was Matthew 17 when the disciples could not cast out a demon and Jesus sharply rebuked them for their lack of faith.  This was the essence of my conviction.

To say I am confused on just the life of faith in general is a massive understatement.  There is a lot I should "unlearn" but not an overnight process obviously.  I do love Jesus.  I do.  I know he knows that, but my life has been anything but a reflection of that.  I need to stop being such a coward and do what God has called me to do.  Please pray for me about these matters.

How many times have I asked God for more of his spirit only to sit with it and do nothing more?  Why would God give me more if I keep it to myself?  He asked me that earlier, or at least I am fairly confident he did.

Admittedly, being able to accurately discern his voice would do a great deal to help my understanding, because I know myself, that I will try to do things I know God wants to appease him, but that would accomplish nothing if it is done with the wrong motives.  That is my hang up.  Is God calling or am I just trying to impress him?

As I see it, doing things that align with God's word is not bad obviously... *sigh*

I felt at one time God telling me to just wait and abide in prayer for a season until I KNOW he has told me to go.  seems legitimate and scriptural, I am just confused.

Now I know God is not the author of confusion and I rest confident in that so my angst is not my issue

DavidMcClean

Howdy,

I haven't posted in quite a while, but I read your post a number of times over the last couple of weeks and it troubles me.

I want to sound a clear note of caution when I read this :

"I started that night on this journey where I wanted to do nothing more than live in the presence of Jesus constantly.  Now I am not the first to do this, nor do I claim to be.  I have benefitted greatly from Borrher Lawrence, Frank Laubach, Andrew Murray to name a few. I hope this discussion is beneficial as well."

You don't need to strive to live in the presence of Jesus constantly because the Word says that "In Him we live and move and have our being".

The Word says that "And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus".

You either believe this or you don't. If you don't then you will seek after mystical experiences and voices and impressions and feelings.

I say this as a follower that believes in the full supernatural power of God, not as someone that denies the supernatural.

But the way you need to hear God is through his Word, nothing more and nothing less. The Word will never fail, but impressions and "what you feel the Spirit whispering" will. There will be times when you are sure you're listening to the Holy Spirit and months or years later you will realise you were listening to the wrong Spirit.

Bryan I see and admire in your posts a zeal for God. But I would urge you to start and end with the Word of God. Just thank Him and accept that you are in his presence no matter what you may think or feel. The sun is always there, even when we don't feel it's warmth on our skin.

I have come through the charismatic experience and also read some of the books you mentioned. They only lead to confusion and frustration. I still believe in the supernatural but now for me I look to the Word and treat very very cautiously those "words from the Lord" and inner and exterior voices.

Be ESPECIALLY cautions of the mystical movement...it can and will take you down a very dark path.

Be blessed and encouraged.

David

jiminpa

Bryan, I want to go over each of your points, but I can't now, and don't know if I will get to it when I'm home, (single parenting).

You know I highly disagree with David about the written word being the only word. We need the individual guidance far too much, and quite honestly to not follow God's specific instruction for us, is disobedience, plain and simple. Ironically, to follow the Bible means that we must listen for individual instruction, since the Bible says to do so. To say to God, "I refuse to do anything that You haven't told everyone else to do too," is defiance. When Paul was constrained by the Spirit from going certain places at times, he didn't find it in the scriptures, he heard it from the Holy Spirit. In the old testament God promises to direct us by telling us which direction to take each step. True, nothing that God will tell us will disagree with the written word, which is exactly why all of these people telling us to ignore God's individual instruction are wrong, at best. The Bible says that He gives individual instruction. It also says not to lean on our own understanding. To reduce following God to an academic exercise is also a violation of scripture.

It says in Hebrews if you hear His voice don't harden your heart, lest you forfeit God's rest. Bryan, it sounds to me like God is leading you to understanding His rest. Listen to His individual instruction, as the Bible says, and you will find a place where your labors are not arduous. I'm still working on that one myself. 
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Bryan

Well I certainly can appreciate your concern David, and rest assured you are not alone in your words to me.  My family is almost exclusively Independent Fundamental Baptist and as such they steadfastly refuse any and all things Charismatic leaning Holy Spirit.  They have also told me start and end with the Word.

I want to reassure you, any word I get for living I compare to the scriptures and if it aligns with the revealed Word I apply it, if it does not I pray over it, for perhaps I just misunderstood or it could very well be that I heard incorrectly.  I have got to a point where I am very confident in my ability to discern certain voices from others.  The Holy Spirit has a distinct calling that cannot be replicated.

Jesus said His sheep will know his voice, and not follow another.  John 10:3-5

Sometimes I get a word for a very specific thing I have asked for direction on and in such instances I use my discernment, pray over the word I received and when the Spirit tells me go, I go.  Or I try to anyways.  As Jim pointed out there are many times when we will need a word from God that cannot be found in the scriptures.  I have found God is way more willing to speak to me than i am to him and I praise him for that!  My task is to be open enough to receive his word.

I do not see the danger in reading such works as "Abiding in His Presence" by Andrew Murray, or "The Practice of the Presnece of God" by Brother Lawrence.  They encourage all people to pray constantly and expect God to speak back to us each individually.  I pray that more in the church are filled with that desire to know God in a personal and intimate way.  He is such a great God and Father after all!  :)

Thanks for your feedback and thanks for rejoining us here!  Even if only for a while.

DavidMcClean

Thanks Bryan - I've given my warning and it's been confirmed as you say by others in your family.

On a side note - if anyone told me that the Bible's not enough for all our needs, well then I'd question if they even know God and I certainly wouldn't listen to them for any advice other than how to change a car tyre.

Thanks

Bryan

Quote from: DavidMcClean on June 12, 2017, 11:02:26 AM
Thanks Bryan - I've given my warning and it's been confirmed as you say by others in your family.

On a side note - if anyone told me that the Bible's not enough for all our needs, well then I'd question if they even know God and I certainly wouldn't listen to them for any advice other than how to change a car tyre.

Thanks

Well the Bible is God's record of his dealings with sinful humanity.  It is not the means to our end, nor should it be worshipped above the source of its inspiration.   By the scriptures we learn of Christ and should respond by coming to Jesus.  He is the source of our life.  I do not believe anyone here has said or even implied that the Bible is inadequate for our needs, only that we should seek to hear from God personally and individually which is a scriptural principle.  In fact, Jesus said it is natural for his people to hear him.

DavidMcClean

Jiminpa,

I see you've removed a couple of the replies you posted yesterday in my direction, I read them and didn't find them to have been written in a good spirit so that's why I didn't immediately reply.

Suffice to say for the record that I absolutely believe in prophecy, the voice and leading of the Spirit and either deliberately or mistakenly you seem to be accusing me of Sola Scriptura - nothing could be further from the truth.

I have had a number of detailed prophetic words given to me in the course of my life that were accurate, and a lot more that turned out to be just not true.

I have also given prophetic words to individuals and churches. The most notable would have been last year when I brought the pastor from our church to my home and warned him with a "word" and also scripture that unless certain things were addressed in the church, then God would close the church. I made it clear that I wasn't in the habit of telling pastors that their church would close, but on this occasion it turns out I was right. About 2 weeks after this warning he admitted to a long time affair with one of the other leaders wife, and subsequently he lost his position with AOG and the church closed and the building is now up for sale.

My point was that seeking God via emotive / mystical experience is very dangerous ground. Everything must begin and end with the Word - that is not "Bible Worship" but an understanding that the written Word is the expression of the Trinity that we have.

I apologise if I came across in a way that wasn't constructive - from your deleted replies I seemed to have ruffled feathers.

My heart however was to warn a younger brother in the Lord from mistakes that I have seen made, and made myself.

My take-away from this discussion has confirmed to me yet again that I shouldn't spend or waste time on social media as things rarely turn out the way we expect. Bryan has already close family members warning him and he is not listening - why would he listen to a nobody or a stranger like me?

Trust you are blessed and I appreciate you retracting your replies and the accusations that you'd levelled in my direction but I'll end my part in this conversation now and likely give another 18 months before I make an appearance.

Many thanks, and blessings

David

jiminpa

I apologize for any misunderstandings.
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Bryan

so in the process of stating accusations were leveled against you, you level accusations against me with no understanding of the situation other than the few sentences you have read online.  Seems like a good idea

Go Up