are cessassionist modern day Pharisees?

Started by Bryan, April 16, 2015, 02:14:06 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Bryan

So two BIG doctrines of most cessassionist are:

The scriptures are enough for any believer to know God and discern his will for any situation so we should not seek his voice any further for he does not speak outside of "the Book".

Those who operate in "the gifts" are really demon possessed for the gifts stopped ages ago when John died.

So my question has to do with that, are cessassionist modern day Pharisees?

Pharisees and Jewish leaders openly accused Jesus of operating under demonic influence.

Jesus in turn accused the Pharisees and leaders of studying the scriptures yet not coming to him for life...

I can delve into this later, but wanted to hear the thoughts here
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

jiminpa

The short answer is yes.  I've been in numerous discussions with cessationists even before the advent of the publicly available internet, and they don't have a single scripture, in context and as written, to stand on.  Some of them are just completely ignorant of scripture, but others can quote it better than I can, but either they don't understand it, or in most cases don't care what it actually says.  They idolize their powerless academic heroes, and not even God is allowed to get in the way. 
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Bryan

Quote from: jiminpa on April 17, 2015, 01:17:28 AM
The short answer is yes.  I've been in numerous discussions with cessationists even before the advent of the publicly available internet, and they don't have a single scripture, in context and as written, to stand on.  Some of them are just completely ignorant of scripture, but others can quote it better than I can, but either they don't understand it, or in most cases don't care what it actually says.  They idolize their powerless academic heroes, and not even God is allowed to get in the way.

The thought for this post came yesterday as I was driving.  I have known John 5:39-40 for some time, but the interesting thing about that verse is what Jesus says.  Not just his words but the meaning behind them:

John 5:39-40 ESV
You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

To me (I stress my understanding here), Jesus is telling the leaders (Pharisess, lawyers, etc) that they knew the scriptures well but had not allowed that knowledge to guide them to himself (Galatians 3:22-26).

I cannot tell you how many times as a young Baptist I was told the Bible was everything.  Sola Scriptura to the extreme.  So apparently knowing a lot of scripture is even in itself not enough to truly know Christ.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

jiminpa

Quote from: Bryan on April 17, 2015, 07:52:13 AM
The thought for this post came yesterday as I was driving.  I have known John 5:39-40 for some time, but the interesting thing about that verse is what Jesus says.  Not just his words but the meaning behind them:

John 5:39-40 ESV
You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me, yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

To me (I stress my understanding here), Jesus is telling the leaders (Pharisess, lawyers, etc) that they knew the scriptures well but had not allowed that knowledge to guide them to himself (Galatians 3:22-26).

I cannot tell you how many times as a young Baptist I was told the Bible was everything.  Sola Scriptura to the extreme.  So apparently knowing a lot of scripture is even in itself not enough to truly know Christ.
How many times does Jesus say to "keep His commandments" or "do the will of His Father" (now our Father too, if we do His will), and in James it says that one who reads the words and doesn't live them is like who looks in a mirror and forgets what he saw, and that faith without action is empty. 

Yes, the Pharisees knew the scriptures, by heart, but few of them took them to heart and applied them, or they would have seen it when the very embodiment of those scriptures was standing right in front of them.  It turns out that they hated the very scriptures that they idolized.  Does that apply today, probably.  How do you love the scriptures and actively refuse to follow them?  How do you love God's words and hate the actions of His Spirit who inspired their writing? 
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Go Up