• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
February 20, 2020, 06:54:48 pm

The Line

Started by Pete, August 28, 2008, 11:59:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I've been seeing something happening, both IRL and in my forum conversations, over the past year or so.  I wonder if anyone else is seeing the same thing...

First, some background.

Right around the middle of 2004, a man came to our church and started preaching to us about Love.  This was very shortly after one of the most devastating situations our church family had ever gone through, and our congregation had dropped from a regular attendance of 100 to just a handful, almost overnight.  He began to preach about what he called, a "Love-deficit".

Wounds were still very fresh from what our church had just been through, and it was a hard message to hear.  Immediately, I thought to myself, "I don't have a 'Love-deficit'.  If this guy only knew what we'd just been through, he'd change his tune."  But, nonetheless, we continued to talk about the Love-deficit, on and on (and on), and finally, God began to work on me.

I'll never forget the moment I heard, and I mean REALLY heard, 1 Corinthians 13:5.  Oh sure, I'd read it before, memorized it for my Sunday school classes, I knew it was the Love chapter, but I'd never really "heard" it until that day.  Suddenly, it was as if a light bulb came on in my head, and I could see, so clearly, the Love-deficit that God had sent this man to our churchto help us with.  I could see in every argument, every hurtful word, every "but he did this to me" statement I'd ever made, just how much of a deficit I had, concerning my Love for others.

I'm rambling.... 

Anyway, as you all know (since I've mentioned it like a bazillion times )  this message has made a major impact on my life.  But that's not really the topic of the thread.

The point is, I see a line being drawn, and it's not being drawn straight.  It's not following denominational or non-denominational lines, political lines, or any other kind of line.  In fact, it may well be the most squiggly line I've ever seen, crossing all denominations, political backgrounds, etc.

And that line, is Love.

I see a division occurring in the body of Christ like I've never seen before.  And that division seems driven by 2 things; Love, and doctrine.

There seem to be those that will cling to doctrine, and indeed, try to unite around doctrine.  It won't work.  At some point, you're going to disagree with me or I'm going to disagree with you, and if the only thing we have built our foundation upon is our doctrinal agreement, we're in for some ugly times.

Now, I'm not trying to say that doctrine is not important, because I absolutely believe that it is, but what I am saying is that Love supersedes everything else.  This is something we all "know" from 1 Corinthians, but because of some real life experiences I've had, it's something that I really KNOW now (good thread, lw!)

So what do you think?  Have you been seeing the same thing I have?
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

jeolmstead

I agree.....

John O.

charityagape

Absolutely..........there's probably as many doctrines as there are Christians......I doubt everyone believes 100% the same, but love is something that everyone should be able to agree on.

leadworship

Great post Pete! 

Which of these two sentences don't fit?

1)  God is love.
2)  God is doctrine.

:loveshower::adore:

charityagape

We could learn something about love despite differences from these guys.