December 17, 2018, 04:55:13 AM

Sin and Death

Started by Foadle, May 11, 2014, 08:28:24 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Foadle

I was doing some study Saturday morning when I suddenly had a revelation, which you all may have had ages ago and I've just been slow on the uptake, but I thought I would share it anyway.

Revelation 1: Sin is not us doing wrong but thinking wrong
Revelation 2: Death can happen long before we die.

Let me explain:

In regards the first revelation:
If I broke my leg, my leg might be in a lot of pain.  The pain is not the problem but the break.  Pain simply tells me that there is a problem and where the problem is.  A couple of years ago I passed out at a restaurant.  I was admitted to hospital overnight where for a few hours I felt week, dizzy, and needed to go to the bathroom literally every half hour.  None of these things were the problem, but there were warning posts that a) there was a problem and b) what the problem was.  It turned out I had a urinary tract infection. 

In the same way what we do is a) a reflection we think and b) the manner in which we think about it.  When we do the wrong thing it highlights that a) there is an area in my thinking and b) indicates where that problem is.

The Bible says that we are made in the image of God (Gen 1:27) and originally created very good (Gen 1:31).  God is spirit (John 4:26) and it is our mind which chooses to go with either or flesh (carnality) or our spirit
Romans 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
So if we are minding the things of the spirit our mind is fixed on God/Jesus/Holy Spirit (the holy trinity).  If we are minding the things of the flesh our mind is fixed on Me/Myself/I (the unholy trinity).

If my mind (or thinking) are wrong in some way then my actions are going to become flawed and not function "very good".  I need a maintenance check.  I started studying this through scripture and even the very first case of sin demonstrates this.  Adam and Eve took of the forbidden fruit but why?  This can be seen by looking at where their mind (or focus) was.
Adam was focused on Eve
Genesis 3:6 And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did east, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
Genesis 3:12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he siad, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it....
Adam's focus was Eve.  He loved and trusted what Eve said to him more than he loved and trusted God.

Eve's focus was herself.
Genesis 3:6 (as above).  Based on what the serpent had said to her, Eve believed that God was holding out.  She could be like him! She could be wise! She could not good and evil!  The tree looked healthy! The tree had heaps of fruit!  The tree could give her what God wanted to deny her!

The common thread: Their focus was off God. This is sin.  What they did resulted from the sin but it was only a symptom.  In the same way when we do something wrong it is because we are relying on ourselves rather than the direction of God.

Revelation 2:
Genesis 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Adam and Eve did not die physically when they ate of the tree.  So did God lie?  It is impossible for God to lie (Numbers 23:19) so God was not talking physical, and why would he?  We are spiritual beings not physical.  We have a physical body but it is not who we are. 
Genesis 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the lOrd God amongst the trees of the garden.
Genesis 3:10 And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.

One sin action had led to a mindset that was setting them up for further sin actions.  Their mind had become separated from the spirit.  They became aware of themselves and this awareness left them wanting to hid from their awareness of God.
1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment.  He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
Adam and Eve had become separated from God.  This is death.  Adam and Eve did indeed die that day.

So what I learned:
1. Sin is taking out focus off of the Godhead.
2. Death is separation from God.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

i don't know how i missed this in the past; it's AWESOME!!!

Rom 14:23
(23)  And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

faith is 'believing God'

whatsoever is not of believing God is sin

sin is not believing God

Adam heard God's warning about the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, and Eve knew this from Adam; so in order to be tempted, they each had to first stop believing God in order to believe the serpent.

that's why transgression of God's law is also sin - wrong thoughts and actions ('sins') are the birth of the conception of not believing God ('sin').

knowing to do good and doing it not is also sin - we know good from God, so the first step in this also is to stop believing God about something.

God is the source of all life; to be separated from Him is to be separated from Life; death is the only possible result

well done Sister!!!

Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

jiminpa

Kind of puts a new light on and completely refutes the Christianese cliche, "so Heavenly minded that you're no Earthly good." 

Colosians 3:1-7 is all about keeping our focus on things above: https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Colossians+3%3A1-17&version=AMP .  Also consider Peter on the water and the rest of the disciples in the boat.  Peter sank because he saw the very real and very frightening circumstances around him, and the rest were afraid in the boat, even thought they had just witnessed the feeding of the 5,000 families.   

I know I have been seeing my own circumstances too much lately. 
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Bryan

Good stuff!

For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God. (Romans 8:5-8 ESV)

If I may say that we must be careful labeling all thoughts as sin if they are contrary to God.  Temptation is not sin and often passes through the thought process.  Only when we give in to it is it sin.
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Foadle

Your right Bryan, it is not thoughts that are sin but thinking wrong.  Thoughts come.  What we do with those thoughts are the determining factor.

Jim I have hated the saying of being so heavenly minded that we are no earthly good for a very long time because it is not truth.  The truth is that if we truly were heavenly minded we would be as Jesus and of every earthly good.

bill16652

Exactly but those who choose to stay as they are when saved and will not change to become spiritual and kill and deny the flesh wish to bring everyone else to their level so they do not have to change, sadly I think most of the church today is in that state.  There is a big difference between Chriist coming into you at salvation and you being in Christ and sitting in heavenly places by being in Him

DiscipleHeLovesToo

yes, many seek Him as Savior, but few make Him their Lord

Go Up