December 17, 2018, 04:33:27 AM

Follow the way of love

Started by Bryan, April 21, 2014, 10:25:49 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Bryan

April 21, 2014, 10:25:49 PM Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:05:10 AM by Bryan
Mar 1:17  And Jesus said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you become fishers of men."

Luk 9:23  And he said to all, "If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.

1Co 14:1 Follow the way of love...

Jesus said for us to follow Him we must deny ourselves first then take up our cross. Sounds a lot like the Christlike love we are all to have:

Joh 8:31-32  So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Joh 13:34-35  A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

Matt 7:12 So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you...

1Jn 3:16-18 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth.

1Co 13:4-8 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. (Deny yourself)

Jesus even told us the ultimate expression of love is to surrender one's life for someone else, just as He did.

Joh 15:13  Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. (Take up your cross)

Now Jesus in Mark 1:17 said to follow Him and He would make us fishers of men. He will make us fruitful in His service.

Joh 15:5  I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.

Abiding in Him/Following Him; what does that look like? We have already discussed love and it's application.

1Jn 3:23-24  And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. Whoever keeps his commandments abides in God, and God in him. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit whom he has given us.

Believe and love. The two are virtually synonymous though, for love comes naturally from genuine belief.

Believe (Gr 4100 pisteuo, verb) is the action of faith (Gr 4102 pistis, noun). It is being like Jesus and living like Him: BE-LIVE/BELIEVE.

1Jn 4:16-17  So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world.

1Jn 2:6  whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.

To abide in Jesus, to follow Him and bear fruit, all one must do is believe. Love will flow naturally from that!

Joh 7:38-39  Whoever believes in me, as the Scripture has said, 'Out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.'" Now this he said about the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were to receive, for as yet the Spirit had not been given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Eph 1:13  In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,

Rom 5:5  and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Col 2:6  Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him.

Gal 5:6  For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

Lord yourself to us so that we know you better.  Empower us to love others as you love us Jesus!
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

Foadle

We are to follow the way of love but I believe it goes deeper than that.  We are to become love. By following we gradually get to.  We need to change the concept of love being something we do to being who we are.

1 John 4:17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.

This made a difference in my life.  When I stopped trying to be lovely by doing good things for people and stuff but started being love the burden was lifted somewhat, I know longer felt like I was trying to walk through a swimming pool of honey.

The other thing to be aware of is:
Matthew 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

I don't know what culture is like much outside of Australia but I know here I have regularly heard the comment "S/He loves themselves" and it is meant to be derogatory.  Most of the time what they are actually saying is the person is proud.  It has nothing to do with love.  Unless we truly love ourselves we are in no position to love other.  I can't give to others what I don't have.

A friend once had me read 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 using my name.  Leah is patient, Leah is kind...Leah is a blubbering mess.  I couldn't see myself like that.  I saw myself as a horrible person with nothing to offer.  But as the revelation of this grew in my life so did my ability to love others, because God is love (1 John 4:8:16) so it was not my love which is what I was trying to work with before based on what I did, but his love in me overflowing because it was not becoming a heart attitude.

Pete

Amazing Foadle! This is almost exactly what our message was in church this morning. You even used the same scriptures! Great post!

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Foadle

I think God is talking to you Pete, getting you ready for something a head maybe  ;)

Bryan

All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

bill16652

Confirmation is always good

Foadle

I love a line from a Shakespearean Sonnet
"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds"

Oh how week our love so often is, because we declare our love ... and then second think it when things seem to have changed (like in my case God not giving me what I want ;))

Bryan

I know I look at it like this:

If I have to remind myself that God wants me to love people so I can't do this or that, I'm straddling the fence on the issue

When I can just act in love naturally, without second thought or impasse.  When someone wrongs me and I forgive them or turn the other cheek without wishing I hadn't, then I'm where Jesus wants me.

I don't think the command to love is one of those where Jesus wants us to stew over issues and then only out of obligation to Him do we say I'll forgive you because Jesus wants me too.

Foadle

You are right.  God is looking at our heart motives not our physical actions.  So physically I may show all the signs of having forgiven but deep down, my heart is pretending to forgive because I should.  There is no love in forgiving because we should or anything that is done because we have to.  A friend at uni once shared this with me:

Love that goes up is adoration
Love that goes out is relationship (I think that was the word here can't remember for sure)
Love that goes down is grace
Love that is convenient isn't.

Love costs us something.  To forgive costs.

This morning on the plane from Malaysia to Cambodia I got on the plane to find another woman in my seat and I wanted the window!  I briefly addressed it, and her ticket showed she should be in the middle but she made no effort to move and I figured I'd put up with it.  Then the moment the plane started moving she went to sleep!  Finally I made the choice in my heart to give her the seat.  Now we could argue that really I had little if any choice as I wasn't going to make a big commotion over it but it certainly released me from the frustration.  And seriously, how important was it to my eternity that I look out the window on the flight? 

About 10minutes later the guy whose seat was in front of mine returned to his seat.  He had gone to the three seats across the isle and down one from mine to try and lay down and get some sleep (it was an early flight) but evidently found it too uncomfortable.  So I crossed the isle and sat there for the rest of the trip.  And what do you know, from there I got a view of the sunrise, the first glimpse of the Cambodian coast and I believe saw some other things I would not have seen from that former side of the plane!  And the woman woke when we landed.  But making the choice to give her the seat meant that there was nothing for me to forgive.  I had given it to her and in that I was able to love her better (if not quite as well as Jesus does or would have in the same situation)

DiscipleHeLovesToo

that's a GREAT testimony!

yes; love does cost a lot - strife, selfishness, hatred, depression, sickness - the price of love is sin and death - there's no better deal around!!!
:)
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Go Up