December 17, 2018, 04:33:33 AM

You are weak...

Started by BryanN84, April 16, 2014, 11:12:12 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

BryanN84

From Andrew Murray, Abide in Jesus, Ch. 28:

Matthew 28:18
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Ephesians 6:10
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

The Christian often tries to forget his weakness; God wants us to remember it, to feel it deeply.  The Christian wants to conquer his weakness and to be freed from it; God wants us to rest and even rejoice in it.  The Christian mourns over his weakness; Christ teaches His servant to say, "I take pleasure in infirmities. 'Most gladly...will I...glory in my infirmities.' (2 Cor. 12:9)"  The Christian thinks his weakness his greatest hindrance in the life and service of God; God tells us that it is the secret of strength and success.  It is our weakness, heartily accepted and continually realized, that gives us our claim and access to the strength of Him who has said, "My strength is made perfect in weakness" (v.9)

BryanN84

How true this is my own life!  So many times I cry out to be delivered from fear, completely forgetting that within me rests and lives the Spirit of power, love, and self-discipline.

The appropriate response in such times is not to despair, but rather glory in God that I am weak.  Thank Him for reminding me I can't do it.  Because only He can perform His work through me.

Thank You Lord for reminding me of my utter desperation for You!  Bring the fullness of the abundance of life you promised to manifest in my life and all your friends.  Jesus thank you!

Pete

I agree with the principle of your OP, for when we are weak, He is strong.

However, for me personally, the focus in the OP title is misplaced. My focus should not be on my weakness, because IN HIM, I am no longer in weak. In fact, IN HIM I have been made more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37). The key here is who I am IN HIM, because I'm not my own anymore; I've been bought with a price (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

I think we're saying pretty much the same thing, just in a different way. But it helps me to focus on the fact that I've been made strong IN HIM.

Years ago I had a Jr. Church teacher who would often alter the words of the last line in the song "Jesus Loves Me" to, "...they are weak but strong in Him..." when she sung it. That always stuck with me. It's absolutely true that in my own power, I'm weak. But I'm not relying on my own power anymore. Because of who I am in Christ, I've been made strong IN HIM.

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Bryan

I think that is what I was trying to convey I just like choosing OP titles that catch attention.

In my own experience, I've begged the Lord so many times to deliver me from my fears of things, "Lord, I'm not strong enough what am I to do?"  The funny thing about that is the response that I should have had, is the very response that I did have, I just didn't complete the picture.  Jesus is so awesome!  He really is. 
All glory to him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by shedding his blood for us.  He has made us a Kingdom of priests for God his Father. All glory and power to him forever and ever! Amen.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Quote from: BryanN84 on April 16, 2014, 11:12:12 AM
From Andrew Murray, Abide in Jesus, Ch. 28:

Matthew 28:18
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.

Ephesians 6:10
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.

2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

The Christian often tries to forget his weakness; God wants us to remember it, to feel it deeply.  The Christian wants to conquer his weakness and to be freed from it; God wants us to rest and even rejoice in it.  The Christian mourns over his weakness; Christ teaches His servant to say, "I take pleasure in infirmities. 'Most gladly...will I...glory in my infirmities.' (2 Cor. 12:9)"  The Christian thinks his weakness his greatest hindrance in the life and service of God; God tells us that it is the secret of strength and success.  It is our weakness, heartily accepted and continually realized, that gives us our claim and access to the strength of Him who has said, "My strength is made perfect in weakness" (v.9)

while i agree that 'in myself i can do nothing', the good news is that i'm not alone and will never be separated from God again...

2Co 12:7-10
(7)  And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
(8 )  For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
(9)  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
(10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

in verse 10, Paul speaks of weakness that results from persecution of his flesh by the jews under the influence of 'a messenger of satan' - not a shortcoming in his abilities, but weakness that resulted from abuse by others - this is why he gloried in these things - because they were the physical result of his faithful preaching of the gospel - the carnal 'proof' that he had been faithful to say what God wanted him to say.

Mar 14:65
(65)  And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him, Prophesy: and the servants did strike him with the palms of their hands.

in verse 7, Paul speaks of a 'messenger of satan' as his 'thorn in the flesh'; and that this 'buffeted' him.  this word 'buffet' is also used of the physical beating that Jesus took; it is not a word for sickness or weakness.  webster (from my e-sword bible) defines 'buffet' as:

begin quote:
BUFF'ET, n. A blow with the fist; a box on the ear or face; a slap.

BUFF'ET, v.t. To strike with the hand or fist; to box; to beat.

They spit in his face and buffetted him. Math.26.

1. To beat in contention; to contend against; as, to buffet the billows.
end quote

the ISBE has this definition:

begin quote (paragraph separators added for clarity):

buf´et (κολαφίζω, kolaphı́zō, "to beat with the fist"): Refers to bodily maltreatment and violence: "Then did they spit in his face and buffet him" (Mat_26:67; Mar_14:65; 1Co_4:11; 1Pe_2:20). Paul speaks of "a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to buffet me" (2Co_12:7).

Used figuratively of self-control: "I buffet (the King James Version keep under, the Revised Version, margin "bruise") my body, and bring it into bondage" (1Co_9:27).

The Greek in this passage reads ὑπωπιάζω, hupōpiázō, literally "to give a blow beneath the eye."

In Luk_18:5 the same word is rendered "wear out": "Lest she wear roe out by her continual coming" (the King James Version "weary me" the Revised Version, margin "bruise me") (see Pape's Lexicon, under the word).
end quote

2Co 11:24-30
(24)  Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one.
(25)  Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep;
(26)  In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren;
(27)  In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
(28)  Beside those things that are without, that which cometh upon me daily, the care of all the churches.
(29)  Who is weak, and I am not weak? who is offended, and I burn not?
(30)  If I must needs glory, I will glory of the things which concern mine infirmities.

in the previous chapter (which is part of the same subject as 2Cor 12:9), Paul lists his infirmities - and all are the result of persecution, not his own lack of strength and/or ability.

Act 14:19-20
(19)  And there came thither certain Jews from Antioch and Iconium, who persuaded the people, and, having stoned Paul, drew him out of the city, supposing he had been dead.
(20)  Howbeit, as the disciples stood round about him, he rose up, and came into the city: and the next day he departed with Barnabas to Derbe.

This letter may have been written after Paul was stoned in Acts 14:19, and this is truly an amazing account!  the jews stoned Paul to silence him; and obviously thought that Paul was dead - yet he gets up and goes back into the same city!

Paul tells us that the reason for this thorn was because he had received an 'abundance of revelations'; God would surely not punish Paul for receiving revelation, but the devil definitely would.  Paul was hated by the jews for these revelations, and given that he was 'buffeted' or beaten for them, i think he is referring to persecution as the 'thorn in his flesh', and those who persecuted him were (obviously) under demonic influence ('the messenger of satan').  Paul was asking God to deliver him from the jews who persecuted him - but God wanted the people of Lystra to hear the gospel; if He delivered Paul from the jews in the city (i.e., allowed the jews to drive Paul out), how would the people hear?  so God tells Paul not that He will deliver him from the people who persecuted him physically, but that His strength would sustain Paul through the persecution that would result from his preaching the gospel, and that His grace (undeserved favor) would be the source of that strength.

i was an old sinner, but i got saved by grace - i am not an old sinner any more

i was weak, but i received grace - i am not weak anymore - to me this is the message of 2Cor 12:9
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Go Up