December 17, 2018, 05:49:49 AM

Strongholds

Started by Yitzchak, February 12, 2014, 10:38:29 AM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Yitzchak

This verse is pretty well known in many Christian circles. So much so that any time there is a spiritual warfare teachign , it is brough up as a proof text.

Quote2Co 10:3  For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Co 10:4  (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2Co 10:5  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

I do believe that tearing down strongholds is a part of what we do as Christians. They can be in the mind as this passage indicates or they can be a more tangible stronghold of evil.

But I also believe that a stronghold can be for evil or for good. The thread on Zion made me think of the good strongholds which God has built to help us. Strongholds like good churches , families , etc.  A stronghold is a fortified position that is a difficult place for an enemy to get to. I think that even a message board like this can be a stronghold for the Lord.

WE are called to attack and tear down the enemie's strongholds , but I think we are also called to build strongholds for the Lord.

To know him and to make him known

Stratguy

Yea a Godly and peaceful family unit is one stronghold that's really under pressure these days....

Yitzchak

Quote from: Stratguy on February 12, 2014, 03:06:30 PM
Yea a Godly and peaceful family unit is one stronghold that's really under pressure these days....

It sure is. I think that there are things that we can do to build our families stronger , In Christ. Now that my children are all grown up and have children of their own , I am often surprised to see what they actually were paying attention to earning when they were younger. They often played it off as though they did not care , at the time. Especially when they were teens. But now they are doing those things with their children.

One of the things was a weekly bible reading which we did not always stick to perfectly , but we did it often enough that it had an impact.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Quote from: Yitzchak on February 12, 2014, 10:38:29 AM
This verse is pretty well known in many Christian circles. So much so that any time there is a spiritual warfare teachign , it is brough up as a proof text.

I do believe that tearing down strongholds is a part of what we do as Christians. They can be in the mind as this passage indicates or they can be a more tangible stronghold of evil.

But I also believe that a stronghold can be for evil or for good. The thread on Zion made me think of the good strongholds which God has built to help us. Strongholds like good churches , families , etc.  A stronghold is a fortified position that is a difficult place for an enemy to get to. I think that even a message board like this can be a stronghold for the Lord.

WE are called to attack and tear down the enemie's strongholds , but I think we are also called to build strongholds for the Lord.

the context of these scriptures is what's in our own minds (imaginations and thoughts); tearing down the wrong thinking in our minds ('renewing' them) affects physical strongholds such as disease and poverty.  much of what is called 'spiritual warfare' is error IMO though.

great point that there are good strongholds as well!!! 

Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

bill16652

We are called to fight a warfare against the powers of darkness and it is not error to fight with our weapons as laid out in scripture.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Quote from: bill16652 on February 16, 2014, 01:00:54 PM
We are called to fight a warfare against the powers of darkness and it is not error to fight with our weapons as laid out in scripture.

i agree - the error arises from what  is not laid out on scripture :)
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Yitzchak

I have seen spiritual warfare that seemed flaky and I have seen spiritual warfare that was very real.

One example of the flaky was a woman who used to attend our home group. One night she showed up an hour late and said she was delayed because of Halloween decorations in the neighborhood. She had to stop and pray against the demon spirits behind every lawn decoration on our block. It took her an hour to make it down the block. I considered that flaky.

But I have also seen spiritual warfare done that seemed a little flaky and it had great results.

Go Up