• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Hebrew Discussions....Zion

Started by Yitzchak, February 12, 2014, 10:10:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Yitzchak

Eli ("Dr. Eli") Lizorkin-Eyzenberg is a research professor of Early Christian and Jewish Studies. Dr. Eli hosts a free online study group:  Jewish Studies for Christians.

Doctor Eli Lizorkin  says this....

QuoteWe are familiar with the Biblical word "Zion" (in Hebrew "Tzion"). When we delve further into the original Hebrew we are able to see something about this word that just can't be understood in translation.

Did you know that the word "Zion" (Tzion) comes from the verb "letzayen" which means "to mark something" or "to emphasize something"? In fact, in Modern Hebrew when a student brings home a grade/mark from his school he brings back home - Tziun.

Zion (Tzion), therefore, describes God's tremendous emphasis, concentration and impact upon any given place within creation.

I think the first mention of the word Zion , in scripture , is found here.
Quote2Sa 5:7  Nevertheless David took the strong hold of Zion: the same is the city of David.

As this verse in 2 Samuel indicates , Zion is an actual physical place. It is located in Jerusalem.

It also seems to have a spiritual meaning...
QuoteHeb 12:22  But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

QuoteRev 14:1  And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads.

I have also read that Zion means a fortified position or stronghold. But Doctor Eli knows his Hebrew pretty well.

To know him and to make him known