Overwhelmed by The Holy Spirit

Started by Yitzchak, February 10, 2014, 06:02:52 PM

previous topic - next topic
Go Down

Yitzchak

I think a lot of Christians have experienced this. Sometimes , The Holy Spirit sort of overwhelms me. It can be in worship or during prayer . But sometimes it is just seemingly random. I am not sure what that means exactly. But lately has been a season where it has been happening a lot again.

The thing that always surprises me is how important it is to God that I have a soft heart. Not like he hasn't already told me that many times. But I move on with life and sometimes sort of forget.

Anyway , these past few weeks have been a time when God is drawing near. 
To know him and to make him known

Foadle

I think as Christians one of the things that can harden our hearts most is familiarity, we start taking things for granted.  I believe this is possible why we see it happening in waves.

Pete

I lead praise and worship at our church, and there are times when I just start crying while worshipping, overcome by the unconditional Love of God and awed by His faithfulness, grace and mercy towards us.

It usually happens to me when I've been worried or anxious about something. It's like God is reminding me that the thing I think is such a big deal is nothing compared to His power.

God is good!

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Andy S. Wright

It has been my experience that anytime I embrace the illusion that I have any power or control over any aspect of my life is when God becomes marginalized and distant. I lived under that illusion for a large portion of my adult life (especially when I was a pastor, ironically) which had negatively affected my walk; crippled me, actually. It has taken an extremely difficult and extended wilderness season as well as several "wrestling" sessions with God to bring me to my knees again.

But, it is on my knees in the middle of one of the most difficult seasons of my life that I have experienced the God that David wrote about in Psalms. It is in this wilderness that I, like Job, have seen God with my eyes instead of just hearing about him with my ears. It is here in the hottest heat His kiln can produce that the Potter has been working my stubborn, pride-filled clay to produce what I hope and pray will be a consistently Spirit-filled, Spirit-led, and wholly submitted vessel of honor.

In my 44 years of life, I've never been in a more desperate set of circumstances and I've never been more overwhelmed by the presence of God...
Whatever doesn't kill you may make you stronger, but whatever does kill you will make you invincible. - 1 Samuel 17:37

bill16652

God works when we are weak, guess that keeps us humble so we dont take credit for what He does.  I have had many wilderness experiences and I thank God for His grace and mercy

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Quote from: Yitzchak on February 10, 2014, 06:02:52 PM
     I think a lot of Christians have experienced this. Sometimes , The Holy Spirit sort of overwhelms me. It can be in worship or during prayer . But sometimes it is just seemingly random. I am not sure what that means exactly. But lately has been a season where it has been happening a lot again.

The thing that always surprises me is how important it is to God that I have a soft heart. Not like he hasn't already told me that many times. But I move on with life and sometimes sort of forget.

Anyway , these past few weeks have been a time when God is drawing near.

i think based on my own experience that the variable is me; that i can enter into that state of being overwhelmed by the comfort of the Holy Spirit any time i want to, but rather i usually don't, being distracted by the world.  the times it has happened to me were those times when i yielded to His leading in ministering to someone else, and heard that quiet 'thank you' from Him; it brings shivers up my spine and tears to my eyes just to think about that even as i type this.
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Yitzchak

Quote from: Andy S. Wright on February 13, 2014, 10:12:22 AM
It has been my experience that anytime I embrace the illusion that I have any power or control over any aspect of my life is when God becomes marginalized and distant. I lived under that illusion for a large portion of my adult life (especially when I was a pastor, ironically) which had negatively affected my walk; crippled me, actually. It has taken an extremely difficult and extended wilderness season as well as several "wrestling" sessions with God to bring me to my knees again.

But, it is on my knees in the middle of one of the most difficult seasons of my life that I have experienced the God that David wrote about in Psalms. It is in this wilderness that I, like Job, have seen God with my eyes instead of just hearing about him with my ears. It is here in the hottest heat His kiln can produce that the Potter has been working my stubborn, pride-filled clay to produce what I hope and pray will be a consistently Spirit-filled, Spirit-led, and wholly submitted vessel of honor.

In my 44 years of life, I've never been in a more desperate set of circumstances and I've never been more overwhelmed by the presence of God...

I can identify with this....
To know him and to make him known

Go Up