• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever

Started by DiscipleHeLovesToo, April 07, 2013, 07:56:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DiscipleHeLovesToo

(Mar 11:12 KJV)  And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:
(Mar 11:13 KJV)  And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
(Mar 11:14 KJV)  And Jesus answered and said unto it,
No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

(Mar 11:20 KJV)  And in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.
(Mar 11:21 KJV)  And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.
(Mar 11:22 KJV)  And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
(Mar 11:23 KJV)  For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
(Mar 11:24 KJV)  Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
(Mar 11:25 KJV)  And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
(Mar 11:26 KJV)  But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.

every time i read this account of the fig tree and what Jesus said to it, it stands out to me that He didn't tell the fig tree to die; He proclaimed that 'no man eat fruit' of it.  yet the fig tree died as a result, and Peter recognized what Jesus said as a curse.

next He gives us the great faith lesson of speaking to our mountains, with the fig tree as an example. 

God gave man the fruit of trees for food, and Jesus took this role away from that fig tree - could it be that removing its purpose was what killed it?
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Yitzchak

I can give you the interpretation which was taught to me.

The context is Jesus heading for Jerusalem for the Passover season which will end his earthly ministry with his crucifixion as the passover lamb.

QuoteMar 11:1  And when they came nigh to Jerusalem, unto Bethphage and Bethany, at the mount of Olives, he sendeth forth two of his disciples,
Mar 11:2  And saith unto them, Go your way into the village over against you: and as soon as ye be entered into it, ye shall find a colt tied, whereon never man sat; loose him, and bring him.
Mar 11:3  And if any man say unto you, Why do ye this? say ye that the Lord hath need of him; and straightway he will send him hither.
Mar 11:4  And they went their way, and found the colt tied by the door without in a place where two ways met; and they loose him.
Mar 11:5  And certain of them that stood there said unto them, What do ye, loosing the colt?
Mar 11:6  And they said unto them even as Jesus had commanded: and they let them go.
Mar 11:7  And they brought the colt to Jesus, and cast their garments on him; and he sat upon him.
Mar 11:8  And many spread their garments in the way: and others cut down branches off the trees, and strawed them in the way.
Mar 11:9  And they that went before, and they that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna; Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord:
Mar 11:10  Blessed be the kingdom of our father David, that cometh in the name of the Lord: Hosanna in the highest.
Mar 11:11  And Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple: and when he had looked round about upon all things, and now the eventide was come, he went out unto Bethany with the twelve.
Mar 11:12  And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:

Many scholars say that the fig tree represents Israel , but I think in the context , we can narrow it even farther to say that it represents the leadership of that day , the Pharisees and Sadducees. Also , there were a couple well known Rabbinical schools , in that day. One was Hillel and one was Shammai. Hillel was liberal ( or moderate depending upon whom you talk to ) , but Shammai was strict. They were opposing viewpoints.

Similar to nowadays , when a question came up about divorce and remarriage or tithing , or whatever , there were certain Jewish schools of thought. the prevailing opinions. So for example , the passage in Matthew about divorce ,

QuoteMat 5:31  It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
Mat 5:32  But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Whenever Jesus answered these types of questions and used the phrase " you have heard it said " , he is often referring to one of the commonly known viewpoints of the day. similar to today when there might be a Baptist viewpoint , a Charismatic viewpoint ,a word of faith viewpoint , etc.

Anyway , back to our subject. The fig tree represented the religious system , the old guard of Judaism. It had ceased to bear real fruit and at this crucial time of the coming of the messiah to usher in the new Covenant and His kingdom upon the earth , they had nothing but a vain religious system which rejected Christ.

So the cursing of the fig tree is symbolic of the cursing of the old religious system of the Jews.

Not that I am anti Jewish by any means. God loves the Jewish people. But what was condemned was their religious system that placed certain traditions and certain rabbis above God Himself. Those strongholds, systems of thought were what was condemned , not God's chosen people.
To know him and to make him known

DiscipleHeLovesToo

that's a great explanation that makes sense - none the less, the fig tree actually dried up from the root, even though Jesus merely said 'no man eat fruit of thee hereafter forever'

tied together and interpreted by Matthew's account, we see clearly that Jesus indicated this was something WE could do as well:
[size=78%]Mat 21:18-22 KJV[/size]

(18)  Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.
(19)  And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
(20)  And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!
(21)  Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
(22)  And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

so is this a model for how we are to curse the fruitless fig trees and move the mountains in our way in our lives?  by taking away their purpose?  such as cursing cancer and commanding it to no longer spread in the body?  or cursing alzheimers and commanding it to no longer hinder thinking, memory and communication? 
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Optimax

That particular type of fig tree was suppose to have figs if the tree had leaves.

When Jesus saw the leaves he expected the tree to have figs.

The tree lied.

By the leaves the tree was advertising figs.

Jesus said"......................."

The tree dried up from the roots.

No big explanation.

No types and shadows.

Just a lying tree.

:)