• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

coveting the gifts of the Holy Spirit

Started by DiscipleHeLovesToo, November 17, 2012, 09:27:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Optimax

Quote from: LittleRocketBoy on January 11, 2013, 10:49:23 am
I came to the conclusion that the translation should be that "tongues are a sign of the lost", meaning that the reaction you get from people will be a flag to you whether someone is a believer or not. Look at the next verses:

1Co:14:23: If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
1Co:14:24: But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

Here Paul lumps the unbeliever together with the "unlearned" in their reaction to the manifestation of tongues. IOWs he is simply saying that if people act surprised when they witness tongues,  then it is because they do not know what is going on. As believers "in the know" it does not surprise us when we see tongues manifested. But there are believers (unlearned) and unbelievers who do not know what it is and so would make the assumption that we are a bunch of nuts. And of course we see that even today. Just last night I saw a program where tongue talkers were held up as an example of crazy people.

That is my take.

:amen:

LittleRocketBoy

This is something I wrote on CF back in 2005:

If you read the original passage from which this was quoted (Is 28) you will see something. The Jews Isaiah was speaking to would not listen to the word spoken by prophets and obey so He told them that if they would not listen to plain speaking then He would speak to them in babbling.
Paul quotes this passage with this idea in mind.
How you react to tongues will tag you as an unbeliever or someone that does not know what is going on or a knowledgeable believer who knows what is happening.
If an unbeliever or someone ignorant about tongues in the church hears tongues, he will say "what in the world are you people doing? are you all crazy?".
If a believer who is knowledgeable about tongues hears tongues being spoken in church they will know what is happening and not be upset or confused.
Therefore, how you react will tag you or distinguish you as a believer or an unbeliever.

This is why Paul goes on to say:
1Co 14:23-24(23) If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in [those that are] unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
(24) But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or [one] unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:

So if people come into church and all they hear are tongues, first off you will know that are unbelievers by the way they react (their reactoin is a sign).
But if you speak by prophecy, then they will be as good as believers in that they know what is going on, hear the message, and are convinced.
The "sign" therefore is not tongues or prophecy.... rather the "sign" is the way people react.

Use the word "of" instead of "to" and it is a little clearer:

1Co 14:22

(22) Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not OF them that believe, but OF them that believe not: but prophesying [serveth] not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

i've never heard that before, but it makes sense - Thank You Brother!!!
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.