• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

coveting the gifts of the Holy Spirit

Started by DiscipleHeLovesToo, November 17, 2012, 09:27:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DiscipleHeLovesToo

a few years ago i heard a teaching series by Keith Moore called 'Hungry for the Holy Spirit' ( http://www.moorelife.org/listseries.php?xml=rss/HungryForTheHolySpirit.xml ), and it really inspired me to focus on these gifts.  time passed, and i basically got distracted and these things fell to a back burner in my thinking.  when i was on vacation recently, a faith buddy of mine brought them up again, and so i dug out my MP3s i downloaded (free btw :) ) and listened again - i was stunned by how i had failed to 'covet' these gifts as Paul urges (1Cor 12:31; 14:39).

the ability to hear from God about facts i can't know any other way; to have foreknowledge of the future; to receive healing in my body; to praise God in the most complete way; to crush unbelief and release faith; to discern the kind of spirits i run across; to receive 'special' faith at times of trouble; to build up, urge on, and comfort my Brothers and Sisters in Christ; and most importantly, to receive God's wisdom - i have not coveted these things.

to covet - wish for; long for; seek earnestly as a priority - the gifts of the Holy Spirit - i see i have some re-prioritization ahead of me in my spiritual walk - what about you - do you covet the gifts of the Holy Spirit?
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Optimax

Covet the best gifts!

So:

All I want for Christmas is:

Word of knowledge and wisdom.

Special Faith and Healings.

Working of miracles and prophecy.

Discerning of spirits.

Tongues and interpretations.

There!

That ought to do it!

;D

DiscipleHeLovesToo

thanks Brother! 

so the logical questions are (and you've already started the answer) 'what are these gifts', and 'why are they important'?

Paul lists them in 1Cor 12:8-10; the first one he lists is 'word of wisdom'.

so what is 'word of wisdom'?  where do the scriptures say that wisdom comes from, and why do the scriptures say that it's important?  how do the scriptures say we recognize the 'word of wisdom'?

don't assume i know all the answers (nor do i assume that anyone else does).  but if we share what we think we do know about 'word of wisdom' that's anchored to the word, we're bound to get closer to this Truth than we are now!

Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Optimax

Word of Wisdom

The supernatural ability in the Spirit to impart special and specific information, insight guidance or counsel which brings life changing illumination.

A word of wisdom brings together knowledge that already exists and gives direction in its proper use. Just because we know certain things doesn't mean we will use them in the best possible way.

Word of wisdom is the application of knowledge regarding events, places, people or things

DiscipleHeLovesToo

WELL said Brother!!!  i couldn't agree more, or say it better.  but how is this concept anchored in the scripture? 

i'm not at all sure that i know - this is an honest question, not a test :)

1Cor 2:6-16 could be interpreted to support this definition, but if interpreted by 1Cor 2:1-5, it would seem that Paul is talking about how he initially preached the gospel to the Corinthians.  Paul talks about the 'wisdom of God in a mystery', that 'God hath revealed unto us by His Spirit'; and then this:

(1 Corinthians 2:13)  Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

now this could refer to speaking in tongues; or not - depending on how a person might view speaking in tongues (scriptural or not scriptural). 

does anybody have any scripture to offer to define what 'word of wisdom' actually is?

DianeL

Quote from: Optimax on November 18, 2012, 11:22:24 am
Covet the best gifts!

So:

All I want for Christmas is:

Word of knowledge and wisdom.

Special Faith and Healings.

Working of miracles and prophecy.

Discerning of spirits.

Tongues and interpretations.

There!

That ought to do it!

;D

oh my gosh, I laughed out loud, me too! that's all I want for Christmas :)
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

DiscipleHeLovesToo

i have to admit that most of what i believe about 'word of wisdom' is based on someone else's 'revelation', not solidly rooted in God's word - the same is true for 'word of knowledge', '<the gift of special> faith', 'gifts of healing', 'working of miracles', 'prophecy', and  'discerning of spirits'.

but i do have scripture for 'kinds of tongues' and 'interpretation of tongues'.  and i think there's good reason that i only see these two gifts defined in the scripture...

so let's start with the gifts of tongues - anyone know of any scriptures that define these?

(hint - 1Cor 14)

Optimax

There are two.

1. Every believer can have.

2. Is to be interpreted and is given as the Spirit wills.

Each has different uses.

Optimax

Quote from: Optimax on November 20, 2012, 08:25:56 pm
There are two.

1. Every believer can have.

2. Is to be interpreted and is given as the Spirit wills.

Each has different uses. 

1.  Every believer

What grace God has made available to us!

The ability to speak Spirit to spirit to God.
1 Cor 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.  KJV

When speaking to God in tongues we are also able to speak things that are a "mystery" to us.

That is huge.

Anyone want to comment on what that means?

2. Gift of tongues and interpretation.

The gift of tongues and interpretation is equal to prophecy and both serve the same purpose.

The purpose is to edify, exhort and comfort.

1 Cor 14:3
But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. KJV

When we speak in every believer tongues we edify or charge up ourselves.

When we speak in tongues that is interpreted we edify the church, just as prophecy does.

1 Cor 14:4-5

4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

Gift of tongues with interpretation is equal to prophecy

5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.  KJV

:)

DiscipleHeLovesToo

AWESOME post Brother!  i believe that's from the THRONE!!!

of all the gifts of the Holy Spirit, the ones that are explained are the gifts of tongues and interpretation of tongues and prophecy.  so this is evidently where we are to start as we begin to truly covet the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

now the gift of prophecy is fairly straightforward as you so rightly referenced:

"The purpose is to edify, exhort and comfort.

1 Cor 14:3
But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. KJV"

edify means to build up

exhort means to urge on

and comfort is obvious, right?

now prophecy is a gift that every reborn believer can operate in, and in fact the vast majority of believers do.  it's focus is primarily on others, although one can certainly prophecy to one's self in times of trouble - and should! 

prophecy in the OT is generally thought to be more along the lines of foretelling the future, and there are certainly instances where this is true, such as Isaiah's prophecy of a virgin birth.  but for the most part, OT prophecies predicted two potential futures - one resulting from people trusting God, and one resulting from people trusting the world (which is to say the devil and his bunch).

what else can we say about the gift prophecy?  how do we prepare ourselves to prophecy?

DiscipleHeLovesToo

btw - i can hardly wait to get to 'speaking mysteries' :)

Optimax

In order to rightly understand the gift of prophecy we must separate the "prophecy" listed in the gifts from the Office of a Prophet which is also a gift. 

But a different gift.

The "Office of Prophet" is listed as a ministry gift which also includes the Apostle, Teacher, Pastor and Evangelist.

The person who is called by God, not themselves, to be a Prophet operates in the spiritual gifts of, word of knowledge and word of wisdom.

The person in the ministry gift of a Prophet under the direction of The Holy Spirit may foretell events about people, places or things.

The person operating in the spiritual gift of "prophecy" under the direction of The Holy Spirit, edifies, exhorts, and or comforts people.

:)

DiscipleHeLovesToo

good points Brother, and important ones.

(Ephesians 4:11)  And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
(Ephesians 4:12)  For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
(Ephesians 4:13)  Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
(Ephesians 4:14)  That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
(Ephesians 4:15)  But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
(Ephesians 4:16)  From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

so there is a ministry or calling or 'career' (if you will) of a prophet, and there is the gift of prophecy available to every reborn believer - because Paul doesn't limit the gift to those who are called to the career of a prophet, but encourages every believer to covet to prophesy. 

(1 Corinthians 14:1)  Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.
(1 Corinthians 14:2)  For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
(1 Corinthians 14:3)  But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
(1 Corinthians 14:37)  If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.
(1 Corinthians 14:38)  But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.
(1 Corinthians 14:39)  Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

now in 1Cor:12, Paul is speaking about the gift of prophecy that is available to every reborn believer; yet in 1Cor 14 he links the gift of prophecy to the office of the prophet; so whether by ministry calling, or by gift of the Holy Spirit to one who is not called to the 'career' of a prophet - the operation of prophecy is the same.  indeed, this is true even in the Old Testament prophets - even when they foretold the evil that would come on the wicked, the purpose was to build up, urge on, and comfort the humble who trusted God in the midst of the rule of the wicked. even the false prophets also build up, urge on and comfort the wicked as they pursue wickedness - albeit the end of this is death.

but back to the gift of prophet that is available to every reborn believer; prophecy always deals with the future in some way.  the building up is for the purpose of future victory over present trials; the urging on is due to the expectation that the present trials will be overcome, and the comfort is for enduring the present trials while expecting the future victories.

so the obvious question is, how does the prophet, or the reborn believer who prophecies, get this knowledge of the future?  certainly, as you so rightly pointed out, it can come by word of knowledge and word of wisdom - but yet we aren't given clear instructions about these gifts - but there is one gift that we are given clear instruction about that also reveals the future - reveals mysteries...

Optimax

Mysteries!

When we pray in tongues speaking to God and our minds don't have a clue as to what the conversation is about.

We speak mysteries!

The Holy Spirit who dwells within us reveals mysteries to us by the witness to our spirits.

1 Cor 2:10-13

10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
KJV

DiscipleHeLovesToo

stright to the point - awesome Brother!

i'm pressed for time tonite - will add some soon

thanks Brother!!!

DiscipleHeLovesToo

speaking in tongues is not that predominate in the body of Christ today, but in Paul's day it was an integral part of the Christian experience.  all of the disciples spoke in tongues (Acts 2:3, 4);  and speaking in tongues was a regular experience for 'typical' believers (Acts 10:44-46; Acts 19:3-6; and of course the Corinthians).  every author in the New Testament spoke in tongues.  Jesus associated speaking in tongues with 'them that believe':
(Mark 16:15) And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. (Mark 16:16) He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. (Mark 16:17) And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; (Mark 16:18) They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

this is an amazing statement that i hear almost nothing about in 'traditional' churches - Jesus doesn't say that these signs will follow some that believe - i don't see how one could look at this statement closely without considering that every believer should have at least some of these signs happening in their lives.  now simply preaching the Gospel will cause devils to leave, so i think this sign is commonplace, albeit not recognized.  who can say what He meant by 'taking up serpents' and drink any deadly thing without harm' - but if we did have clear understanding of what He meant i think we would recognize that these things too are evident to at least some degree today - because He doesn't mis-speak or make mistakes in what He says.  the easiest to understand of these signs is 'lay hands on the sick and they will recover' - but this is certainly not a common practice or expectation that is predominant in the body of Christ today - most often it is a last resort when the medical industry has admitted defeat, rather than a primary method of health care for Christians - ok, i'll get off that soapbox for now anyway :) .

but this thread is about tongues, so the point i'm trying to make is that speaking in tongues must have been so common in the body of Christ in the days immediately following Jesus' resurrection that the New Testament authors didn't see the need to elaborate on this gift.

what we do know about speaking in tongues on a personal basis comes from Paul's instruction about how the gifts of the Holy Spirit should be practiced in a church setting - in a gathering of believers.  I get the impression that Paul saw speaking in tongues on a personal basis as so common that he saw no need to focus on this aspect of tongues in his letters; but instead merely references speaking in tongues on a personal basis to contrast how this gift should be practiced differently in a church setting.  since the focus of Paul's instruction about tongues is in a church setting, many have 'lightly esteemed' the importance of speaking in tongues on a personal basis.  in order to see the what Paul reveals about speaking in tongues on a personal basis, we have to look beyond the subject of Paul's letter to the Corinthians where tongues are dealt with (which was in a church setting), and focus on the instances where he contrasts the two (speaking in tongues on a personal basis versus in a church setting).

now the first thing we need to establish is whether or not speaking in tongues on a personal basis is something that the body of Christ should embrace, or should discourage:

(1 Corinthians 14:39) Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

this seems crystal clear to me - what's the opposite of 'forbid'?  is it not 'allow?  if i say 'forbid not' then am i not saying 'allow'? 

DHLT Translation :) :
(1 Corinthians 14:39) Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and <forbid not> allow to speak with tongues.

again, the context here is what happens in a church setting:

(1 Corinthians 11:17) Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse.
(1 Corinthians 11:18) For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.
(1 Corinthians 11:19) For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

but if Paul tells us to allow tongues in a church setting, then he means it's ok in a personal setting as well, or he would have told us differently.

so for all of those who might read this who don't speak in tongues - be careful to agree with Jesus and Paul - speaking in tongues is 'allowed'.

and this is really good news - because as we look at the benefits of speaking in tongues on a personal basis, it will be clear that every Christian should want to speak in tongues!

Optimax has already brought out a powerful aspect of speaking in tongues on a personal basis:

(1 Corinthians 14:2) For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

now if i speak a mystery in a language i don't understand, what good is it? 

1Co 14:13-14 KJVR(13) Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.

so it's obvious that Paul expects that if someone speaks in tongues by the Holy Spirit in a church setting, that someone will be able to interpret that in a church setting - therefore, if i speak in tongues by the Holy Spirit in a personal setting, i should expect an interpretation as well.  is there a flaw in this reasoning?

Optimax

Very good post.

The personnel benefits of an individual speaking in tongues far out weighs the benefits of the tongue that is interpreted.

Anyone want to post more of those benefits?

jiminpa

Good thread guys.  I've been reading it as I get time.

The job and commute have left me a bit short on time lately, so I've been skimming and then coming back and actually reading as I can. 
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Thanks Jiminpa! 

Great comment Optimax!  tongues in one's own life has powerful benefits; we've barely scratched the surface about these so far.  tongues in a church service is primarily for the lost:

(1 Corinthians 14:18)  I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:
(1 Corinthians 14:19)  Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
(1 Corinthians 14:20)  Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
(1 Corinthians 14:21)  In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that will they not hear me, saith the Lord.
(1 Corinthians 14:22)  Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe.
(1 Corinthians 14:23)  If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
(1 Corinthians 14:24)  But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all:
(1 Corinthians 14:25)  And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

this is a bit confusing, and i don't pretend to fully understand what Paul is saying here.  he clearly says that tongues are a sign to the unbeliever, but doesn't explain why; instead he explains why prophecy (building up, urging on, and comforting) helps the unbeliever - i think he's talking about tongues as at Pentecost, where each man heard in his own language, but i'm not sure about this. 

anyone have any insight about tongues as a sign to the lost?

DiscipleHeLovesToo

oops! i had to correct a misleading typo toward the bottom of this post - sorry!

but there's more to say about speaking mysteries by speaking in tongues outside of a church service, in one's personal walk with God.

the interpretation of tongues in one's own life (outside of a church service) is certainly not a word-for-word 'translation'.  in my own experience, the interpretation of the tongues i speak is not readily apparent at all. 

i remember when i first began speaking in tongues, that for weeks i could 'see' no benefit; but there came a point where i realized that my ability to understand the true meaning of scripture had begun to explode.  the accounts i read in the Bible became real to me, rather than just history lessons; i've 'seen' in my mind's eyes, Jesus at the whipping post and the cross; Judas at the last supper; Joshua stop the sun and moon; Moses hit the rock with is staff.  i didn't have 'visions' mind you, but after speaking in tongues for some time, when i would read these accounts in the Bible, it was like i was remembering them as if i had been there myself - interpretation of tongues.

another aspect of interpreting mysteries spoken out in one's personal tongues is the ability to know things i couldn't know otherwise.  i remember working on my car when it wouldn't run right.  as i got out my service manual and tools and began to troubleshoot, i suddenly knew that i needed to replace the computer.  this seemed foolish so i ignored it at first - but after i had exhausted my knowledge of troubleshooting modern computer-controlled cars without a two-way scanner tool, i decided to act on the 'knowing' and replaced computer (although i didn't know why i should replace it from the standpoint of logic) - bingo, the car was fixed.  word of knowledge - the computer is the problem - word of wisdom - i need to replace it.

another aspect of speaking in tongues is knowing how to react in a stressful situation.  a few years ago there was a major change in senior management of the division i'm a part of.  i'm at the worker-bee level, and had made some network changes (that brought immediate positive results) and operated under limits of support as i provide support to end users - these were done under the direction of the previous management.  the day before the new CIO took over (it was a 'hostile' takeover btw), he called me to his office while my supervisor was out, and with no HR person present, and chewed me out for an hour about what he called poor customer service and a negative attitude; it looked like i would get fired on the spot, and this guy had a reputation for doing that.  but as i walked to the meeting (he was never a big fan of me so i had a feeling the meeting would go like it did) i asked God for interpretation of tongues i had spoken in the past and a great calm came over me.  i sat straight and looked the CIO straight in the eye as he scolded me - he was unable to look at me for more than a second or two at the time.  i calmly asked him to give me specific examples so i could know how to correct my behavior in the future, but he couldn't come up with any, and got more and more angry and out of control as the meeting progressed.  by the time the meeting ended, he looked like a child who had just been spanked.  a year later he helped me keep my job when budget cuts eliminated my funding, and has basically ignored me as he raged on my counterparts over the past few years.  normally i would have likely gotten angry and defensive, and probably said some things i'd later regret, but as soon as i sat down and looked at him i knew it was the devil who was leading him; that he really didn't know why he was so angry at me; it was almost like i could see the devil hiding behind him and whispering in his ear - discerning of spirits.

when i first started working for my current employer, the guy who trained me on the local IT environment i was to help support turned out to be a man who loved God.  he had been a career marine but got injured and was subsequently denied re-enlistment.  he had been taking pain medication for years, and was unable to do strenuous physical labor.  i felt led to build this guy up, so every day when i'd get to work i'd stop by his office and we'd talk about the benefits of knowing God.  he had reached a plateau in his faith walk when i met him; he was saved but wasn't focused on God.  not long after we began our morning ritual of talking about how good God is and what Jesus made available to us, he began to get excited about his faith, received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and began to speak in tongues.  he eventually received his healing; he has a large garden now and uses an 8hp tiller to tend the ground, and hasn't been on pain medication for several years - prophecy (building up, urging on, and comforting).

there was a copy machine outside of my previous office, and there was a lady who loved God who would regularly make copies.  she had some health problems, and was regularly out to see a doctor or specialist.  one day as she was making copies, i heard her cough, and then moan and begin to cry, obviously in pain.  i stepped out of the office to see if she was ok and she was doubled over; she looked up at me with tears in her eyes and whispered 'it hurts so bad when i cough'.  boldness came upon me.  another guy with a nearby office came walking up to see if he could help; he's an ordained minister but does not believe in miracles; he's heavily into theology and has a number of degrees.  i asked her if she would let me pray for her, and when she said yes, i looked at him and asked him to join his faith with ours,  we three joined hands, i thanked God for His great love for her, commanded in the name of Jesus the pain and sickness to leave her body, commanded in the name of Jesus her body to receive healing from God, and thanked God for His faithfulness.  she immediately coughed once more, but instead of doubling over, this look of amazement came over her face, and she said 'it doesn't hurt anymore'.  we all praised God and went back to work.  the next day she was waiting outside my office when i got there, and said she hadn't had any more symptoms of the cold she was fighting, and wanted to know more about how i had prayed.  we became faith buddies.  gift of special faith; gift of healing; working of miracles.

i don't know if i've operated in the gift of 'kinds of tongues', but i'd bet a month's pay that i have, without realizing it.  none of these things happened to me before i started speaking in tongues.  now i'm the first to admit that there's nothing special about me, and that people CAN operate in the gifts of the Holy Spirit without speaking in tongues - but i'm convinced beyond being unconvinced that speaking in tongues is available for everyone, and that this one benefit of speaking mysteries and believing for interpretation is like a springboard to operating in the rest of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.  i'd bet many reborn believers who read this will realize that they too have operated in the gifts of the Holy Spirit without realizing it.

but back to speaking in tongues - there are other benefits to look at - for example, self-edification - building one's self up in faith - which is to say reducing one's own unbelief

(1 Corinthians 14:4)  He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

(Matthew 17:19)  Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
(Matthew 17:20)  And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
(Matthew 17:21)  Howbeit this kind <of unbelief> goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. text enclosed in "<>" added by me