• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

the woman 'bowed together' (Luke 13:11-17)

Started by DiscipleHeLovesToo, April 13, 2012, 11:21:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Luk 13:11-17
(11) And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.
(12) And when Jesus saw her, he called her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity.
(13) And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God.
(14) And the ruler of the synagogue answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the sabbath day.
(15) The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite, doth not each one of you on the sabbath loose his ox or his ass from the stall, and lead him away to watering?
(16) And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day?
(17) And when he had said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him.

i've also heard this account referred to as 'the woman with the spirit of infirmity'.  i usually hear this account preached as the woman having a demon or 'foul spirit', but i don't think this is the case. 

for one thing, whenever Jesus encountered a demon (or 'foul spirit'), He did 2 things: He told the demon to shut up, and He told the demon to get out (is there an exception to this that i've missed?).  while Jesus clearly says that the woman was 'bound by satan' (verse 16), the woman ends up healed while no demon is cast out.  the only power satan has now (after Jesus' resurrection) is deceit (fooling people into using their own authority against themselves by speaking words they believe in their hearts that are stout against God's promises), and the way people are 'set free' from satan's lies is for them to hear and receive the Truth about freedom through Jesus.  so i think the way satan had bound this woman was the same then too - through deceit - does this indicate that satan never had any power beyond lies since his fall?  i think so.

Jesus spoke to Peter's wife's mother's fever (He 'rebuked' it), but He didn't speak to any thing in this account.

but what is (to me) so revealing about this account of healing is what Jesus did to set the woman free - He told her the Truth:

'Woman, thou art loosed from thine infirmity'

looking at this in the Amplified version:

'Woman, you are released from your infirmity'

I notice that Jesus did not say 'Woman, I (now) release you from your infirmity'; He spoke to her as already having been in a state of freedom, which had been accomplished sometime in the past ('loosed' - past tense).  even in verse 16, He refers to the woman as already being in a state of previously loosed - 'be loosed'.

i notice that when Jesus told the woman '...thou art loosed...', that she was still 'bowed together' at that time - it isn't until He laid hands on her in the next verse (13) that she straightened up - why didn't He tell her something like 'Woman, I loose you...' or 'Woman, I will loose you...'?

i think i know why this account is included in the scriptures by the Holy Spirit, but before i share that, i'd like to hear what others think about this - did Jesus heal her at that time, or did He tell her that was she already healed and hadn't realized this yet?

GLY!!!

Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Hisgirl

Honestly, I don't think we can ever know for sure what exactly every single word which was said or every single thing done. I have never assumed the bible contains every single thing. That's why when we pray, it is so important to listen to what the Holy Spirit is saying.

I, personally, based on what I've seen with my eyes, believe demons can sometimes do more than just deceive. I've seen a demon of fear leave two dogs and seen their entire personality change.  So much to learn, but so much more we'll never know till we're in heaven.
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

DiscipleHeLovesToo

i'm ready to discuss if/how anyone can be sure they've heard from the Holy Spirit without some confirmation from scripture, but that's not what this thread is about - if you'll start a new one on this topic i'll participate.

there is a difference between saying that demons can only deceive, and saying that demons gain access to the authority we have by deceit - i meant that demons have no authority or power in the earth of their own - they must deceive a living human and gain access to that human's authority and power in order to manifest in the physical world.

but i also know that as long as i don't let a demon gain control of my authority in the earth (by yielding my thinking to their lies), that demons have ZERO power in my life - either directly or through others, because i've cast demons out by the authority Jesus gave every reborn believer.

but let's don't honor the devil and his bunch by arguing over how powerful or powerless demons are - the purpose of this thread is to focus on how this woman received her healing, so that others alive today in a similar condition can also receive their healing.

did Jesus heal her at that time, or did He tell her that was she already healed and hadn't realized this yet?

GLY!!!
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

DianeL

I do agree with Hisgirl, but that's for another time.

In regards to the woman, she was healed at that time, not already healed, Jesus was testifying of Himself as the Healer and it was a prophetic gesture of His suffering, ultimate Resurrection and authority over everything.

He is so amazing!

:)
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13