• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
October 23, 2019, 07:18:41 pm

Started by AudioArtist, December 09, 2011, 01:13:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AudioArtist

December 09, 2011, 01:13:12 pm Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:04:33 pm by AudioArtist
I speak here as one who has a long way to go, and hopefully not in pride. I myself need to walk in what I am feeling and being challenged on a lot more than I do. My message is about what is often taught and not a judgement on ministries' actions or lack of action. I know most charismatic groups have all sorts of great ministries to the poor going on - but you would rarely hear the issue addressed in their 'main' sermons. One can hear preach after preach about revival and never hear the poor mentioned in any of those messages. So the people preaching may well address the issue in a sacrificial and powerful way in their own lives and ministires, but it sometimes feels to me like it's not emphasised nearly as much as it could be in messages.

I'd love it if caring for the poor and oppressed were more emphasised in the charismatic Church - especially among believers who are open to the cutting-edge things of the Spirit and seeking revival. It would be wonderful if Jesus' commands to invite the poor, the blind, the lame, the crippled - those who can't repay us - was  taught and practiced with more passion. I say this not only because of charismatic teachers like Jackie Pullinger, or because of my experiences of blessing when I have acted in this kind of love (which I wish I did a lot more), but simply because Scripture states it over and over and over again. God's blessings (including the blessings of His PRESENCE) and anger ride on it from one prophetic outburst to the next.

I've been reading more from modern prophets as of late, just in case there is something of relevance. I wonder; why isn't caring the poor (or lack of it) addressed more?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. It seems from scripture that caring the poor isn't optional; it is being a Christian. To ask God for revival and to do it with no intention on sacrificial love for the poor is an absurdity. 

Isaiah 58

1 “Shout it aloud, do not hold back.
   Raise your voice like a trumpet.
Declare to my people their rebellion
   and to the descendants of Jacob their sins.
2 For day after day they seek me out;
   they seem eager to know my ways,
as if they were a nation that does what is right
   and has not forsaken the commands of its God.
They ask me for just decisions
   and seem eager for God to come near them.
3 ‘Why have we fasted,’ they say,
   ‘and you have not seen it?
Why have we humbled ourselves,
   and you have not noticed?’
   “Yet on the day of your fasting, you do as you please
   and exploit all your workers.
4 Your fasting ends in quarreling and strife,
   and in striking each other with wicked fists.
You cannot fast as you do today
   and expect your voice to be heard on high.
5 Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
   only a day for people to humble themselves?
Is it only for bowing one’s head like a reed
   and for lying in sackcloth and ashes?
Is that what you call a fast,
   a day acceptable to the LORD?

6 “Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
   and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
   and break every yoke?
7 Is it not to share your food with the hungry
   and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
when you see the naked, to clothe them,
   and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?
8 Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
   and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
   and the glory of the LORD will be your rear guard.
9 Then you will call, and the LORD will answer;
   you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I.

“If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
   with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
   and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
   and your night will become like the noonday.
11 The LORD will guide you always;
   he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land
   and will strengthen your frame.
You will be like a well-watered garden,
   like a spring whose waters never fail.
12 Your people will rebuild the ancient ruins
   and will raise up the age-old foundations;
you will be called Repairer of Broken Walls,
   Restorer of Streets with Dwellings.

13 “If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
   and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight
   and the LORD’s holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
   and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
14 then you will find your joy in the LORD,
   and I will cause you to ride in triumph on the heights of the land
   and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob.”
            For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

your point is well taken, the scriptures are clear that we should help the poor.  but the methods used to try and help the poor are often not based in scripture.  giving to the poor will provide temporary relief, but in order to be delivered from poverty, one has to first hear the good news of the gospel as it relates to prosperity, and then yield to God's leading on how to receive prosperity.  for example, when i am approached by someone on the street who asks me for money to get a meal, i try to remember to check my heart to see how God is leading me to help them.  I rarely give money to someone who begs for it because this re-enforces the lie that they have to have help from someone other than God in order to survive and prosper; usually i'm led to offer to buy them a meal on the condition that they let me talk with them while they eat - i guess about half the people who ask me for money for food are willing to accept this condition.  Those who do get a good meal and hear that God can lead them out of poverty through the leading that comes through fellowship with Him.  give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.

GLY!!!

Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.