• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Are the beatitudes commandments?

Started by Foadle, October 23, 2011, 05:48:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Foadle

Mt 5:19 whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments and so teaches others, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So these commandments, would indicate that it is something that he has just been speaking about and right before that we have:
1. Blessed are the poor in spirit (v3)
2. Blessed are those who mourn (v4)
3. Blessed are the gentle (v5)
4. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness (v6)
5. Blessed are the merciful (v7)
6. Blessed are the pure in heart (v8)
7. Blessed are the peacemakers (v9)
8. Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness (v10)
9. Blessed are you when men insult, persecute say evil about you falsely on account of me (Jesus) (v11)
10. Rejoice (v 12)
11. Be exceeding glad (v13)
12. Let your light shine before men (v16)
13. Think that Jesus came to fulfil the law (v17)

While many of these are supported in other areas of the Bible as commands there are others that don't even seem to make sense as a command.  However if they are commands then that would be a lack of understanding on my part.

So what do you think?

Tallen

They are commentary on what is commanded in the Law.

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.  (Matthew 5:17, KJV)
Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.  (Romans 8:7, KJV)

bill16652

JohnDB

They are as said above but they are also promises. The Law was a contract with performance required for both sides.

"Blessed are the Holy/pue/passionate for God of heart for they shall see/comprehend God. "

Its an awesome promise to me. One I can't wait till He performs his part.
I wanna die like grandpa, peacefully and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car...they were all screaming and panicking.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

the way i understand commandments is that the purpose of commandments is two-fold; one is to drive me to mercy as I try and fail to keep them outside of fellowship; the other is so i can recognize the difference between the devil's leading and God's - God's leading always lines up with His revealed or living Word.  if i am in fellowship with God, discerning His leading by measuring my thoughts with His Word; this will lead me to effortlessly keep the commandments, assuming I follow His leading. 

the rest of chapter 5 and all of 6 and 7 contains interpretation on the commandments - i think this is what Jesus was referring to in 5:19

GLY!!!
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.