• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
October 21, 2019, 11:29:51 am

Kinda weird...

Started by Rachel Faith, October 05, 2011, 07:30:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rachel Faith

It's been more than a month since we have been to church. But I'm not really missing it. I have started questioning a lot of things though. Like when people want to get saved, we make them acknowledge that they are helpless and there's nothing they can do good enough...then we tell them how to pray to receive Jesus and teach them how to read and study the bible...that doesn't make sense to me. If there's really nothing that we can do (or have to do), then why do we have so many sermons and books on how to pray for yourself and how to pray for others and how to pray for protection from satan?

Also, since we stopped going to church, like nothing dramatic has happened to us. I guess that's just because we aren't in church and we aren't doing ministry or anything so we're not of any threat to satan. And part of me hates to admit this, but it's kinda nice. The only thing we really miss is for me singing, and for Danny, playing bass. But we were passionate about music even pre-Jesus. Don't get me wrong...I still love Jesus. He is still my savior. I still worship him and praise him and adore him. But I'm beginning to wonder if "church" is really necessary? I mean, when Danny took this new job, he got a 40% raise. So that allows me to stay at home, and we don't have to worry about finances. We are, for the first time ever, comfortable and secure and we know that it's a gift from God. We know that we are where He put us.

What think ye?
Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

sharonl

We have to realize that we are the church.

Since we moved, for the first time in my life we are not in church - I do miss it - however a lot of good has come out of it.  My husband was raised Catholic and had this teaching embedded within him - we tried his church, my church, changed to Lutheran to meet in the middle - I was always searching for more.

I met a new friend and she had something that I didn't have - she just shined with the joy of the Lord.  She was Spirit Filled.  She didn't try to change me, because I was raised that the Spirit Filled life was 'holy rollers' - but I knew she had something I didn't.  So as I sat at home one time alone, I just said 'God if this is of you - I want it' - the Spirit of God fell on me so strong that for 3 hours I was in the arms of the Master.

Since that time, churches that we have tried to go to are so dry, we come home and I cry.  So we listen to John Hagee and Pastor Dyke out of Tyler, have our Bible study and our walk has never been closer.  I learned to shut my mouth and let the Holy Spirit teach us and for once after all those years of think differently, my husband and I are joined in our beliefs.  We are the church, we can still spread the joy of the Lord.
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com

Foadle

Rachel what you bring up is something I am seeing as a shakeup not only in my own life but in the church.  Being human we like to have everything in boxes.  This is a large part of why we see this that and the other book on prayer, receiving your harvest, getting your breakthrough etc.  The thing is frequently these books remain the revelation of the writer because people try to implement them based on somebody else's revelation and wisdom without making it their own.  Our human nature seems to look for formulas and God is into relationship.  We have taught new believers do this do that do something else, don't do this, don't do that.  Think about it, pray, tithe, fast, don't smoke, don't have sex outside of marriage etc. I am not saying that teaching these things are wrong.  They're not but they are not the relationship.  When taught as part of the bigger picture of relationship such things take on a whole new dimension and cease to be the message themselves.

It is the same with the going to church.  Church for many has just become one of those things people do.  It is not a part of their relationship as such.  Most (one of them was me) thought that it was part of my relationship and then something happened recently and I had to do a mind shift.  Relationship with God had nothing to do with my going to church.  It was something I did because that is what a good christian does.  I believe that as God is moving withing the church, one of the things he is currently doing is bring His people back to fundamentals with the main one being a true and dynamic relationship with Him.

It feels weird to us because it does not fit into our own perception of how things should be.  Good thing His understanding surpasses our hey ;)

jiminpa

Church should be a place of fellowship and equipping.  If it's not, it's pointless.  One going to church out of a sense of religious duty isn't accomplishing anything.  The Bible does say not to forsake the assembly, but again I look at that not as religious obligation, but as beneficial.  I have had times in between churches, and I felt no guilt about it.   

Bible study is another way to get to know God better.  He tells us of Himself within the pages of scripture.  Again, if it is out of duty or academic bragging rights it is useless, or worse. 

That is all to grow in our relationship with God.  Salvation is not earned.  It is a gift.  I do think that the usual, Western culture approach to salvation is pretty messed up though.  The magic pill "parrot after me" "prayer" is usually just to give the church a head count for bragging rights at the ministarium lunches.  We would be better serving to ask someone if they are desperately ready to know God, and if they answer "yes" tell them to just tell Him that in their own words, then pray with them after that, and explain to them that what they just did was real.   
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

Optimax

When you said that you were not missing church I see that as an indictment against the church you were attending.

It tells me along with other things you said that perhaps the place you were attending is too much "Law" and not any Spirit, that is the presence of the Holy Spirit in the services.

If the presence of the Holy Spirit was in that church you were attending you would miss it and would want to be back into that atmosphere and would be out combing the streets for a church in which the presence of God is manifested.

In that presence would also be an excitement about the teaching of the word of God thru which people were being saved, filled with the Holy Spirit, healed and growing spiritually by hearing and doing the word.

Find a church where God is and nothing can keep you from attending there.

Rachel Faith

I dont think its an indictment on my old church. I liked it there. The teaching was really good. Like REALLY good. And we had a lot of good friends there that we still talk to. I miss that body. I guess I just havent found what I;m looking for down here yet.
Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

Tallen

Quote from: Optimax on October 08, 2011, 03:17:36 pmIt tells me along with other things you said that perhaps the place you were attending is too much "Law" and not any Spirit, that is the presence of the Holy Spirit in the services.

What "Law"?

It couldn't be YHWH's law, since the Apostle tells us explicitely that that law is spiritual.

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.  (Romans 7:14, KJV)

On the other hand, if you mean the law imposed by the religious, contrary to YHWH's law..., well then your right, there is no spiritual meaning in that law.
Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.  (Romans 8:7, KJV)

Optimax

Quote from: Tallen on October 10, 2011, 12:56:00 pm
What "Law"?

It couldn't be YHWH's law, since the Apostle tells us explicitely that that law is spiritual.

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.  (Romans 7:14, KJV)

On the other hand, if you mean the law imposed by the religious, contrary to YHWH's law..., well then your right, there is no spiritual meaning in that law.

Easy there Tallen.

Get your "law" hackles under control.  ;D

I am speaking of a church in which the presence of God is manifested so that;

people's needs are met.
People are touched by God
Where the Holy Spirit ministers to people either thru a person or Spirit  to spirit resulting in that person being edified, comforted, exhorted.

Where people are saved, filled, delivered, set free, etc.