July 02, 2020, 08:04:49 am

Word tips??

Started by JTM³, September 23, 2011, 12:04:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JTM³

Anyone know how to use the list function so that you can skip certain numbers?

Like for my homework sometimes I'm only assigned  say 17-24, 26, 30, 35-40 etc.

I used to be able to do this but I guess I messed with the settings (gasp!).  :doh:

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

Supplanter

On your numbering button you should be able to press it and the drop down should have "Set Numbering Value" near the end. You can type in whatever number you wish to start with.

If you do numbers say 8-10 and then wanted 12 through 14, you would (in this same dialog box) click start new section and set your value to 12.

Pete

Or, you could do what many people here do, and not use numbering at all, and instead type all of your numbers manually.  Better yet, you could not use tabs and hit space 10 times instead, and then when you reach the end of each line, you could hit enter and hit space 10 more times.  While you're at it, don't use page or section breaks either.  It's much more effective to hit "Enter" 50 times to get to the next page.

I'm kidding.  Please don't do any of that.  Ever.    :pan:

Can you tell I get slightly annoyed by poor Word formatting?  ;)

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Supplanter

I see those exact same things and worse 20 times a day . . . . .and unfortunately it is my job to fix them.   :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

There are some manuscripts that I get that are so badly formatted that I have to remove all the formatting and just start over. Sometimes I'm not even sure how they did what they did. I theorize that they let a rabid monkey do all their formatting in Word. It's just a theory though.

JTM³

Quote from: Pete on September 23, 2011, 01:43:48 pm
Or, you could do what many people here do, and not use numbering at all, and instead type all of your numbers manually.  Better yet, you could not use tabs and hit space 10 times instead, and then when you reach the end of each line, you could hit enter and hit space 10 more times.  While you're at it, don't use page or section breaks either.  It's much more effective to hit "Enter" 50 times to get to the next page.

I'm kidding.  Please don't do any of that.  Ever.    :pan:

Can you tell I get slightly annoyed by poor Word formatting?  ;)

O0

Sorry to dissappoint, but that's what I resorted to in the end. Its not horribly formatted, I can send you the document as proof if you want ;), but I just don't have time to spend on Word tutorials.

Thanks for the tips tho Sup, even tho I didn't use them. :shifty: I'd like to look into it more sometime.

Ironically, I know more about IP numbers than I do about how to use Word.  :speechless:

[spoiler]

Job got HEALED, and YOU can be too!!

Pro tip: Read to the END of the book. Not just man's ideas. They're usually wrong. =P

Jesus = The revealed will of God for all people for all time.
[/spoiler]

Pete

Quote from: JTM³ on September 23, 2011, 03:06:10 pm
Sorry to dissappoint, but that's what I resorted to in the end. Its not horribly formatted, I can send you the document as proof if you want ;) , but I just don't have time to spend on Word tutorials.

Oh, if only I had a dime for everyone who has said that to me.  ;)

My response is usually something along the lines of, "So you don't have the time to learn how to use Word properly, but you do have time to putz around with your formatting every time you make an insignificant change to the document that should only take 2 minutes, but instead ends up taking a half hour and a phone call to me to fix?"  :P

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Foadle

I have experienced the same issues JT in writing up documents for class.  All I do, and it works very effectively, is I hit the numbering button. 

If the numbering is to start as a different number than 1 I

• set cursor on line you need numbering changed

•    
  • right click

•    
  • select "set numbering value"

•    
  • change it to what I need.

This changes all subsequent numbers.

if it is part way through a document you use the same technique.