• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
July 20, 2019, 01:35:43 am

Desires

Started by Foadle, September 17, 2011, 06:21:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Foadle

Ps 37:4 Tells us that if we delight ourselves in the Lord He will give us the desires of our heart.

I personally believe that that is two fold...1) He puts the desires in our heart and 2) He brings the desires to fruition.

So if we are not seeing the desires of our heart fulfilled does that mean that we are not delighting ourselves in God enough?  And if not delighting ourselves in God what do we do about it?

DiscipleHeLovesToo

i don't see this as a question of degree - you either delight yourself in the Lord or you don't.

the fact that you have a God-given desire means that He is already satisfied that you delight yourself in Him; period.

the devil is the one who hinders us from receiving the things of God (Daniel 10:12,13) - God has already given (1Peter 1:1-4), so He isn't the holdup - we are; and the battle is in our own minds (2Cor 10:4-6). 

GLY!!!
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Foadle

Thanks HB really needed that encouragement.  Get very discouraged sometimes.  Still what then is the hold up?  How is that determined and what do I do about it

DiscipleHeLovesToo

seek specific wisdom (1Cor14:2; 1Cor14:13); act on the Lord's leading as best you can (Rom 8:14); remember patience (James 1:1-8); and don't forget your armor (Eph 6:10-20)

Ephesians 6:13 KJVR
(13) Wherefore take unto you the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. (emphasis added)

1 Samuel 30:1-6 KJVR
(1) And it came to pass, when David and his men were come to Ziklag on the third day, that the Amalekites had invaded the south, and Ziklag, and smitten Ziklag, and burned it with fire;
(2) And had taken the women captives, that were therein: they slew not any, either great or small, but carried them away, and went on their way.
(3) So David and his men came to the city, and, behold, it was burned with fire; and their wives, and their sons, and their daughters, were taken captives.
(4) Then David and the people that were with him lifted up their voice and wept, until they had no more power to weep.
(5) And David's two wives were taken captives, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail the wife of Nabal the Carmelite.
(6) And David was greatly distressed; for the people spoke of stoning him, because the soul of all the people was grieved, every man for his sons and for his daughters: but David encouraged himself in the LORD his God.

you're not defeated until  you  give  up

God has faith in you, and He's NEVER wrong - don't stop agreeing with Him!!!

GLY!!!
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Foadle

September 18, 2011, 05:54:08 pm #4 Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 06:36:23 pm by Foadle
Thanks BTW what does GLY mean?

Another question: How long then do you have to wait for those desires?  Already I have waited over 10 years?  Does that mean my desire is wrong and not of God?  If not then why is it not fulfilled

JohnDB

September 18, 2011, 07:29:44 pm #5 Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 08:42:16 pm by JohnDB
Not that I have any answers.

I too share desires of things I wish to do for God. WHY?
Because I see the need of those trying to deliver his message & I wish to use my God-given talents as an offering of sacrificial praise to Him.

Will I ever see those dreams come to fruition?

Dunno about that either.

What I do know is that the chasing after those dreams is a long discouraging journey. But my faith isn't in the dreams. My faith is in the One who inspired them. He alone knows I've done my best (because he deserves no less than the true best).

But sometimes I am reminded about the story of Luther. He "re-discovered" the Bible and is generally considered responsible for why we read the bible today. But he was NOT the first or the only one. There were others; many others but they went ignored and or  martyred.

Luther was a horribly flawed man. Some of the other "discoverers" weren't as flawed as Luther. But God chose Luther.

Why?

I have no idea. Only God does. All I know is that I must do as called. Success isn't in completion. It is found in the lifestyle & journey. 

But I also know one other story about Jesus walking on the Sea of Galillee. After the night was over eleven men could only say, "I watched..." But Peter could say," I walked with Jesus"

I don't want to just be a watcher.
I wanna die like grandpa, peacefully and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car...they were all screaming and panicking.

pastorzzub

10 years is nothing.  Ask Joseph, Abraham, Moses.  Ask Jesus.

I waited 13 years between the dream of Tree of Life Church and seeing it in reality, and it will be at least that again before it is what I have dreamed of.

Foadle

I have dreamed of a husband and family for 15 years, neither have come to pass
I have dreamed of being in a much greater relationship with God for 20 years or more yet all my efforts there seem futile
I have dreamed of touching people's lives so that they really do see God...and can't even get to that myself.

So are my desires misplaced?  Does God care?  Have I missed it?

pastorzzub

Quote from: Foadle on September 20, 2011, 11:17:58 am
I have dreamed of a husband and family for 15 years, neither have come to pass

A guy in our church has been holding onto that dream for 25 years.  He has just met a lady in the last 2 months. 

I have dreamed of being in a much greater relationship with God for 20 years or more yet all my efforts there seem futile

God wants to know you more than you want to know Him.  He is definitely on your side with this one.

I have dreamed of touching people's lives so that they really do see God...and can't even get to that myself.

Your dream is from God.

So are my desires misplaced?  Does God care?  Have I missed it?

No.
Yes.
No.

Your post really touches my heart, Foadle, because this is what I do.  I make dreams come true.  The Bible College I started this month - the guy running it has been believing God for 40 years to run a Bible school in London.  There is another couple in our church who have been believing God for 20 years to run a Christian cafe/ outreach centre.  I am purchasing a building and appointing them over it. 

I was going to call the church I pastor Kingdom Life Church when I started it.  Had postcards printed and everything.  Then the LORD spoke to me at 3am (GMT!) and told me to name the church Tree of Life Church.  I asked why and He showed me Proverbs 13.12:

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a dream fulfilled is a Tree of Life

The Lord told me that all over London and all over the world there were Christians and non Christians with sick, sick hearts - heavy, depressed, lonely, unable to relate to people, unable to relax, unable to smile, unable to be happy without chemical or sexual help, lost, broken, defiled, sick people - because all their hopes had been put off and ignored and failed so many times that their hearts could not function anymore.

He told me to go and train these people how to see their dreams come true.  That my primary function in the body of Christ is to help people see their dreams come true.  I saw a vision of a ladder with 8 steps.  At the bottom, written in the sand were the words "Broken Dreams and Unfulfilled Hopes".  At the top of the ladder was a stone carving with the words "A Dream Fulfilled" written in it and a beautiful olive tree was growing out of the stone carving.  At the top of the ladder the air was free and the light was almost like a rainbow in its beauty. 

At the bottom there was heavy air and darkness.

When I first saw the ladder I could see something carved on the first step: BORN AGAIN AND BAPTISED IN THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Since then, over the last year I have seen several steps:

1. BORN AGAIN AND DOUBLE BAPTISED
2. HAVING AN OPEN BIBLE
3. PLANTED AND FLOURISHING
4. FREE FROM RELIGION and WITCHCRAFT

I don't know what are on the top 4 steps, but I am devoted to finding out.  I have written a 5 week Bible study covering the first step and an 8 week Bible study covering the second step.  I am about to write a 8-10 week Bible study covering the 3rd step and preach through the 4th step all this October at church.  My goal is to get my church to the top as soon as I can.  Owning their own businesses, with the family they dream of, out of debt, with a great walk with God, ministering healing and life to people.  All of that.

When I read your post all I want to do is help you and do whatever is necessary to show you God is for you not against you. 

***While typing all the above and remembering the vivid vision that I have had over and over, I have just had it again, and I could clearly read the 5th step.  It says "FINANCIALLY FREE".  WOW!  How obvious and how wonderful.

Whatever I can do to help, I will.  I don't know how to help, but I do know God is for you.  No matter what you have done, are doing, will do tomorrow.  He is on your side.

I assume you are born again and double baptised, so the next step for you is opening the Bible.  Let me email you a PDF of my Bible study if you want.  I will also pray for you every day, Ephesians 3.14-21.

Blessings,
Ben

Foadle

Thanks and I appreciate that.  I know that that is part of my problem at the moment.  I can't even do those things I know would help...but that is in another thread.  I would appreciate the Bible study though

pastorzzub

Pm me your email address.  or email it to me ben@treeoflifechurch.org.uk

Foadle

done thank you...but I don't know if it went to the email address you said...I clicked the email button on the side so let me know if you don't get it

pastorzzub

Email received.  Will respond by end of day  :hugegrin:

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Quote from: Foadle on September 18, 2011, 05:54:08 pm
Thanks BTW what does GLY mean?

Another question: How long then do you have to wait for those desires?  Already I have waited over 10 years?  Does that mean my desire is wrong and not of God?  If not then why is it not fulfilled

GLY - God LOVES You!!!

I don't have answers to your questions that are specific to you, but i have now and have had these same questions; so here's what helps me:

-I am convinced beyond being unconvinced that I am never waiting on God; He's already given me all things that pertain to life and godliness (2Peter 1:1-4) - my problem is that I'm not receiving all that He's given.  it may not sound like and important distinction (either way, i have Godly desires similar to yours that are not fulfilled in the physical world - yet) - but the distinction is critical to my battle against unbelief.  if i take the attitude that God hasn't given, there's no way i can be in faith to receive - after all, who can force God to do something He hasn't already done?  but if God says He's already given, then I have a promise to base my faith on, and to fight my unbelief with.  there's one desire that I've been expecting to be fulfilled for 35 years - but i'm still expecting; it's not too late.  so how long will it take?  i don't know, but what else would i have been doing for the last 35 years if i wasn't fighting to believe God?  i can be sure of this - i'm closer to seeing that desire fulfilled than i've ever been!

-i know this desire is of God because it is based on clear promises from Him in His Word.  In the case of this particular desire of mine, God has 'spoken' to me 3 times over the years and confirmed that this desire is from Him (not an audible voice, but a still small voice in my mind and a peaceful knowing that comes over me when i ask Him if I missed Him on this one).

-so why isn't this desire of mine fulfilled?  to me, the answer is simple; but the application is not:

Matthew 6:33 KJVR
(33) But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

i have to be honest with myself; i haven't been seeking God first - else i wouldn't still be expecting - i'd be enjoying the fulfilled desire.   i'm not talking about how much i read my Bible, or how many sermons i listen to, or how much i try to share what God has shown me with others - i mean i just haven't disciplined myself to include Him in my thinking process; i make way too many decisions on my own (which would be one or more).  not a good testimony, but an honest one.

in the past i have found it very difficult to move from mental knowledge about God, to basing my decisions on God's leading confirmed by His Word.  for example, i catch myself walking away from a co-worker that was complaining about something, and i realize that i was complaining too - spiritual contraband - i wasn't listening to Him (seeking Him first).  i buy a movie at the local movie store, and realize as I watch it that it's not about God - i wasn't listening to Him again (seeking Him first). 

but i've left where i was - and He has faith in me (that's why He chose me) - so i continue to fight the battle in my mind to include God and exclude what's not of God. 

be encouraged; even if we never see some of the desires of our hearts come to fulfillment in this life, we've already received the fulfillment of the greatest desire that lasts for eternity - we know God.

GLY!!!

DiscipleWhomJesusLoves

Just my thots:

I don't think that "the desires of YOUR heart" must be God-placed in order for them to come to pass. IOW, you only get what GOD HIMSELF wants. I just don't think God is like that. (I wouldn't want my son to only get the toys I want! I would want to give him what HE wants, as long as they are good/safe gifts. I would also want to give him the toys I enjoy, because I want him to share/experience the fun with me.)

If God only gives you want HE wants, then it's not really YOUR desires anymore but His alone. No, I believe that He gives you YOUR desires too, desires that are really YOURS.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Quote from: DiscipleWhomJesusLoves on September 25, 2011, 10:46:26 pm
Just my thots:

I don't think that "the desires of YOUR heart" must be God-placed in order for them to come to pass. IOW, you only get what GOD HIMSELF wants. I just don't think God is like that. (I wouldn't want my son to only get the toys I want! I would want to give him what HE wants, as long as they are good/safe gifts. I would also want to give him the toys I enjoy, because I want him to share/experience the fun with me.)

If God only gives you want HE wants, then it's not really YOUR desires anymore but His alone. No, I believe that He gives you YOUR desires too, desires that are really YOURS.

i don't see how there can be 'godly' desires that are not from God; but you may have some light i don't - can you support this with scripture?

GLYB!!!

DiscipleWhomJesusLoves

Quote from: DiscipleHeLovesToo on September 26, 2011, 08:33:27 pm

i don't see how there can be 'godly' desires that are not from God; but you may have some light i don't - can you support this with scripture?

GLYB!!!

Mark 11:24, KJV
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever YE desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

It says what things soever YOU desire.

2 Samuel 12:8, NLT
I gave you your master's house and his wives and the kingdoms of Israel and Judah. And if that had not been enough, I would have given you much, much more.

David desired another wife/woman. All he had to do was ask and God would have given him another woman as his wife. He didn't have to commit adultery and murder just to get Bathsheba.

John 14:14, NKJV
If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

I think the "anything" here would include our own desires.

Luke 15:12, NKJV
12 And the younger of them said to his father, 'Father, give me the portion of goods that falls to me.' So he divided to them his livelihood.

Even in the story of the prodigal son, the father, who is a picture of our heavenly Father, gave the son what he asked for. And in this case, what the son asked for wasn't exactly something good (in essence he couldn't wait for the father to die so that he could get his inheritance), yet the father gave it to him.

All I'm saying is that God doesn't CONTROL what we want. He gives us a free will to choose and He sometimes even gives things that may not be His best for us BECAUSE we keep asking for it.

DiscipleHeLovesToo

so, how would we have a desire that is good, but not from God? 

James 1:17 KJVR
(17) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. 

Romans 7:18 KJVR
(18) For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

are we not to be led in ALL things?

Romans 8:14 KJVR
(14) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Matthew 4:4 KJVR
(4) But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. 

here's a couple of scriptures that come to mind:

Jeremiah 10:23 KJVR
(23) O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps.

Proverbs 14:12 KJVR
(12) There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. 

GLYB!!!