• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Question on "giving a word"

Started by DiscipleWhomJesusLoves, July 20, 2011, 10:06:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DiscipleWhomJesusLoves

When you prophesy to someone for his exhortation and comfort, must what you prophesy be something totally unrelated to you and your past experiences?

Okay this is the scenario: I have a colleague whose mum is in hospital right now. I feel like telling her, "Don't be afraid of what will happen. Commit the matter to Me and I will take care of your mum. She will live and not die, and declare My works. This thing will not end in death."

I feel like telling her this because this is something I went through with my mum, that is, it is somewhat based on my past experience.

So is the word just from me and my own mind, or is it from God? Must giving a word be totally unrelated to your past experiences in order for it to be genuinely from God?

Thanks for any input on this. ☺

Rachel Faith

If God gives you a word for someone, give it to them! It doesn't matter if you have any personal experience with it or not. Sometimes just the fact that "you've been there, done that" is comforting just in itself. It helps relieve them and lets them know that you know what they are going through. It could also open the door for further ministry to that person.
Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

jiminpa

Quote from: DiscipleWhomJesusLoves on July 20, 2011, 10:06:00 pm
When you prophesy to someone for his exhortation and comfort, must what you prophesy be something totally unrelated to you and your past experiences?

Okay this is the scenario: I have a colleague whose mum is in hospital right now. I feel like telling her, "Don't be afraid of what will happen. Commit the matter to Me and I will take care of your mum. She will live and not die, and declare My works. This thing will not end in death."

I feel like telling her this because this is something I went through with my mum, that is, it is somewhat based on my past experience.

So is the word just from me and my own mind, or is it from God? Must giving a word be totally unrelated to your past experiences in order for it to be genuinely from God?

Thanks for any input on this. ☺
To add to what Rachel said, not only will you be able to deliver the message, but you also understand what the other person is going through. 

As for whether it is a word from God or not, you will have to discern that, but I don't think it is automatically not from God because you have experienced it. 
I used to worry and stress and strive to "do my part," never believing that I had done enough of "my part."  Now I see my part as casting it off on Him, doing what I believe He is giving me, and letting it just be His problem.  I don't have to fix everything, but I get to work along side of God.

pastorzzub

Of course God is going to use your experiences in any ministry you give.  The source of the Word is God.

One of the elders in our church has just been battling eczema.  Now my testimony is that I was healed of eczema and so were my two eldest sons.  This week I told her that I have beat ecZema in Jesus name in my life and in my family.  Now she is my family we will conquer it. 

All Scripture is Gods word but it is wrapped up in the personality of the writers.  Fully God and fully man, just like Jesus.

DiscipleWhomJesusLoves

thanks everyone, am going to give it to her via email, :)

Rachel Faith

Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

pastorzzub

DiscipleWhomJesusLoves

Well, I actually sent her an sms, and she just thanked me for the encouragement.

Her mum has been discharged, but the doctors still don't know what's the cause of her symptoms, low blood count due to internal bleeding.

Hence, she still has to go back for further tests.

pastorzzub

Hisgirl

I have a testimony about internal bleeding.  It's some good info to know.. Full health to your friend's mother...

Neil ended up in the hospital for 6 long days.  Diverticular bleed.  He's had one before, but this one didn't stop on its own.  They had to put three "pins" in the diverticulum and he still didn't stop bleeding. 

Surgeon:   "We have you scheduled for 7:30 in the morning.   We will remove  your ascending colon and reattach whatever to something.   I am the best in  the field.   Other doctors might want to use embolization, but this is the  safest way to go.  Once again, I am the best, I teach this surgery, and this  is the way to go."   He was sharpening his scalpel as he spoke, while  mentally calculating the cost of a new addition to his home.  I swear,  if he had had a mustache to twirl, I wouldn't have been surprised.

Enter Confusion, Panic, Confusion, Panic.   What to do?   Neil, Suzanne and  I joined hands and decided to pray about it.   After all, God is the Great  Healer.   Before we even said "Our Father," a woman walked in the room...a  new doctor who wanted to consult with Neil about his blood.   I jokingly  said, "You must be an answer to prayer, because we were just getting  ready to pray."  Little did I know.

She asked us about his history, his  surgeries, and his bleeding history.   After finding out he bled profusely  (understatement) with his other (only two) surgeries, she decided to  test him for Von Willebrand's disease (which means you are missing some clotting  factors.)    She was pretty convinced he had it...without the test.   She  started him on IV platelets and something called DDAVP, which is used when  bleeders have surgery.   The next day he was home, colon intact, and he didn't exsanguinate (love my new word) on the table.  I am  convinced we would have lost our Neil if we had let the surgeon  operate.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
"It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."  My Mama

leadworship

A really good book on the subject of "Giving Words" (imo) is "Thus Saith the Lord?"  by John Bevere.  Some of his stuff can seem a little out there, but this is right on to me.  In the link below you can read a bit of it too.

Thus Saith The Lord?

pastorzzub

I like that book as well.  And I am not a real big fan of Bevere's books, though I really love his delivery style and manner of preaching.