• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Scripture Discussion: Matthew 4

Started by Supplanter, July 14, 2011, 11:52:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Supplanter

Something I wrote today. Up for grabs for discussion.

This is a respnse to my respnse on another forum:
QuoteThank you for your reply.  I wonder, have you ever considered Matt 4 chapters 8-9?   8Again, the devil took Him to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their glory ; 9 and he said to Him, "All these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me." Now it seems to me that if the "kindoms" were Satin's to give, God must have allowed that "dominion"?  What do you think?

I think the devil is a liar. I can offer something to someone else even if it is not mine to offer. The serpent offered Adam and Eve the fruit from the tree. Did the tree belong to the serpent. And it is clear in Genesis that God gave man dominion over the Earth. Though man was removed from Garden. his dominion over the Earth was not revoked. He just had to work harder to subdue it after that.  Let's look at the whole passage from Matthew:

Matthew 4
Jesus Is Tested in the Wilderness
1 Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted[a] by the devil. 2 After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. 3 The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread."
4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

5 Then the devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. 6 "If you are the Son of God," he said, "throw yourself down. For it is written:

"'He will command his angels concerning you,
   and they will lift you up in their hands,
   so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.'[c]"

7 Jesus answered him, "It is also written: 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.'[d]"

8 Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. 9 "All this I will give you," he said, "if you will bow down and worship me."

10 Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'[e]"

11 Then the devil left him, and angels came and attended him.

Here is what I see. The devil is questioning God's / Jesus' authority from the get go. If Jesus really is the Son of God then he could do things differently. So, the devil is basically saying. Why go through all this? I can give you these people without you having to go to the cross and die.

Satan is always and forever more trying to usurp the power of God, he wants to be in God's place. It doesn't suprise me he would claim to be able to give the earth away. When Satan uses the word "kingdoms" it is a reference to people ( and I don't think people belong to the devil either). Basically, Jesus can rule the world (people) without having to sacrifice himself. Considering that the Jews thought the messiah would be a political figure coming with a sword to conquer all the kingdoms, this would not be a far stretch for the devil to offer such a thing. Go down this path instead of what God has called you to do.

Sometimes we forget that Jesus was fully human and fully deity. Jesus had a choice just like we all do. Do we follow our own wisdom and inclinations or do we seek out God's wisdom and guidance?

Man's wisdom says to keep your life safe and gain as much power as possible. God's wisdom says those who lose their life will find it. Jesus could have let his humanity overcome him and seek to rule all the people of the earth or he could make his humanity submit to Godliness and become a servant to all the kigdoms of the earth and give up his very life that they might live.

So, it wasn't about the kingdoms of the earth. It was about people's souls. And it wasn't about him having to battle with Satan. It was about the battle within himself to to overcome human nature and submit to God's will. Because in that moment, Jesus chose to worship his Father, submit to His will rather than to human nature ( and human nature is to believe Satan and follow his path/ our own path).

bill16652

What you have shared is interesting and I agree with it all buit one point.  When satan was cast down he was thrown to earth and he is the prince of the air.  This what territorial spirits are all about a dn why there are battles in the heavenlies long before it manifests in the physical.  I do find it interesting your take on it being a attle for souls, had never really thought of that before.

Supplanter

JohnDB

Matthew 28:18
Jesus said,"All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on Earth"

Satan didn't do that. Even if he did, he aint got it now. Jesus has ALL authority.
I wanna die like grandpa, peacefully and in his sleep. Not like the passengers in his car...they were all screaming and panicking.

Optimax

The Devil tempted Jesus in the wilderness.

Matt 4:1
Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
KJV

What the devil presented to Jesus had to be a real temptation.

Matt 4:8-10
8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.  KJV

If the devil offered something that was not his to give, it would not qualify as a temptation and Jesus would have told the devil "You lie, that is not yours to give!".

The devil obtained the authority over the kingdoms of the world(among other things) from Adam in the garden.

It appears that God gave Adam a "lease" on the earth for a period of time.

That lease runs out and is recorded in Revelation.

Rev 11:15
And the seventh angel sounded; and there were great voices in heaven, saying, The kingdoms of this world are become the kingdoms of our Lord, and of his Christ; and he shall reign for ever and ever.
KJV

What the devil was offering Jesus by a "shortcut" was refused and Jesus became Lord of Lords and King of King's according to Divine Plan.