• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
October 21, 2019, 08:56:40 am

"Mature" Christians

Started by Pete, June 01, 2011, 11:57:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

I was reading some stuff this morning, and a thought occurred to me...

Have you ever had a person announce to you that they are a "mature" Christian?  Why do some people feel the need to do that?  I mean, it's kinda like walking into a room and announcing "I'm an adult!".  ::)

Shouldn't things like maturity be self-evident?  I mean, if the only way people will know you are a mature Christian is if you tell them, maybe something is lacking....  :shifty:

Just a random thought for the day.

O0

"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

pastorzzub

I have been thinking about. this for the last few months.  I want to build a ladder from baby Christian to mature Christian so I can disciple and equip our church.

I know the first rung is BORN AGAIN, the second rung is Baptized in Holy Spirit and water. The third rung is learning  to read the Bible for yourself.  I think the fourth is Finding Your Place in the Church.

I heard a great teaching on it today. Spiritual baby is someone who needs someone to take care of them.  Spiritual teenager can take care of self mainly, but doesn't really care for needs of others. Spiritual adult more concerned about needs of others than themselves.

flaglady

I was even more bemused when my one-time pastor called for all "mature Christians" to come up front for prayer! :shifty:

Pete

Quote from: flaglady on June 01, 2011, 03:41:26 pm
I was even more bemused when my one-time pastor called for all "mature Christians" to come up front for prayer! :shifty:

Nice.

Did anyone stay in their seat?

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

flaglady

Oh, I forgot that bit! All the 'wrinkleys' went forward - no-one under 60!
So about 60% of the assembly stayed in their seats!

pastorzzub

@flaglady,

That's hilarious.  Surely a mature Christian would ipso facto not need prayer.

DianeL

Too funny, it's a bit about the same when asked when I became born again, I say in the mid '70s so they automatically think I've arrived with 30 yrs in, it just doesn' work that way. I'm still learning and maturing every day.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

pastorzzub

I did once have a trustee of a charity I was part of panicking because we were 3k in debt. He wanted to shut down a lot of outreach and so on. I wanted to give away about 1k and believe God.

In the end after hours of discussion, I said that he needed to know that I am not a novice.  I have been in bigger holes and I know how to get out of them.  I then recited some of the situations I have been in and explained that for 15 years I have been resting in the Lord for financial provision.

I didn't mean to sound arrogant, but u didn't know how else to stop the panic and ensure the charity kept moving forward.

Foadle

There is also the point too that you may be mature in one area and not in another.  Happens in the natural as well.  I have met many who are mature in years and if they had been a child would not have got away with have the carry on they did.

Child of JC

In the natural world a mature person is considered to be independent. As parents we train our kids how to live on their own; we wean them from our provision. In God's upside-down kingdom, I think a mature person is one who is fully dependent upon Him. The more dependent one is, the more mature that person is. The more we know God, the more we come into the reality that we can do nothing without Him.
Religious Spirits in the church might be the result of immaturity? 
♥ Created to Love and be Loved ♥

pastorzzub

In the natural you go from not able to get your needs met, to being able to look after yourself but not concerned with others (called a teenager!), to caring for others and being able to take care of them.

Child of JC

Quote from: pastorzzub on June 04, 2011, 09:30:41 am
In the natural you go from not able to get your needs met, to being able to look after yourself but not concerned with others (called a teenager!), to caring for others and being able to take care of them.

I agree.

In the spiritual, babies need mothers and fathers of the faith. The growth process is learning to be fully dependent upon the Father. Babies have to learn that, as they grow in faith. Mothers and fathers have grown in faith and learned they can do nothing without God, (John 15:5) which qualifies them to lead and teach babies to walk the path to Him; to where their needs can be met.

A good scripture for "teenagers" might be Psa 34:8

(GW)  Taste and see that the LORD is good. Blessed is the person who takes refuge in him.

"Teenagers" are "tasting" and seeing the Lord for themselves- I'd say that's what qualifies them as a "teenager". Once you have tasted something you can start leading others to that place where they can taste for themselves. That I guess is the "adult" spiritual stage.

All start off as babies, then hopefully make it to teenager, and from there they hopefully grow into Mothers and Fathers. The Spiritual Circle of Life.

pastorzzub

Exactly.  Having now started to write my course on learning to study the Word for yourself, the Lord has shown me that the next two steps are:

Being in Community
Living out of the Spirit

Then, finally:

Gifts and Offices.

I am looking forward to writing these courses for the church.

Child of JC

Quote from: pastorzzub on June 04, 2011, 11:06:03 am
Exactly.  Having now started to write my course on learning to study the Word for yourself, the Lord has shown me that the next two steps are:

Being in Community
Living out of the Spirit

Then, finally:

Gifts and Offices.

I am looking forward to writing these courses for the church.

I'd love to read them. I'd also like to hear how they impact your church. Keep us posted.