• Welcome, Guest. Please login.

Jesus' statements and salvation by faith alone

Started by AudioArtist, March 14, 2011, 09:34:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AudioArtist

I am still struggling with some of the things Jesus taught in the synoptic Gospels, as He seems to imply that our obedience to His words are what will save us on judgement day. I know this cannot be so, considering our righteousness is as filthy rags and the fact we are saved by His blood. I want to walk in assurance based on His grace and what He has done, and I do try to live a life pleasing to God out of the love He has already poured into me. But when I read some of Jesus' words, I am shaken and my understanding of salvation becomes confused again.   

So how would you understand this famous parable, in particular? The rain and the streams and so on are clearly signifiers of judgement day. Jesus concluded the Sermon on the Mount with his Parable of the Two Builders (Matthew 7:21-27):

21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

Any input would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

lovesblessing

Hi Robert!  The best thing I can tell you is that when Jesus was talking to His disciples, He was talking to Jews who were still under the law.  Remember how in the book of John Jesus told them that He had much more to teach them, but they couldn't take it then?  It's because they weren't born again yet, and didn't have the Holy Spirit in them yet. 

We need to spend our time listening to Jesus thru the words of the letters in the NT, after the cross and resurrection......the words that Paul wrote are the words of the Living Christ Jesus who is seated in heaven.......were we are seated now......as Christ is, so are we in this world right now!   Read the book of Romans and Galations.....that is where we are now....that is Jesus speaking to His church now.

Yes we can read the gospels, to see Jesus, who is the heart of our Heavenly Father manifest to us in the flesh.....to see His beauty and grace and goodness......just like we can see Jesus in the types and shadows of the OT teachings about the High Priest and the different stories that tell of His coming.....but we need to live in the letters of the NT.....they are words from Him, the risen Christ to us. ;)
Faith is having a good opinion of God!

pastorzzub

To me this parable sums up grace.  Firstly, we find out the only way to heaven is not to call Jesus Lord but to do the will of the Father.

What is the will of the Father? That you believe the gospel and don't perish.  It's not about you and you "making Jesus Lord", its about doing His will which is to believe the gospel.  The word will and the word desire are the same on Greek.  You enter heaven by doing it the way the Father desires, the way He set it up: by faith in His grace.

Secondly, people like us are NEVER going to be the people Jesus rejects as per this parable. Because we are never going to be so dumb as to stand before Jesus on judgement day and try to persuade Him to give us access to heaven based on the success of our ministry.

We know it is all grace.  If you know Him then you come to Him through His sacrifice.  Only people who Never Knew Him would ever think that their ministry would get them into heaven. Compare galatians 3.1-5.

Blessings,
Ben

The Lord is my banner

Your foundation is on Jesus Christ, the Rock. 

Every other thing is going to happen upon that foundation on The Rock. :)

Child of JC

Today our best example of Covenant relationship is Marriage. Two people enter into a Relationship promising each other to obey and follow certain conditions (vows). Why does one adhere to the vows? Because they choose to love their partner and remain committed to the marriage Covenant. The vows are the conditions of the Marriage. Obedience proves commitment to the Covenant.

The 10 commandments were the conditions of the Old Covenant. They were the vows. "You obey THIS (commandments), and I will be your God." The people agreed to this and they entered into Covenant relationship with Yahweh. Obedience to the commands proved their commitment to God, their Lord. They had the sacrificial system to deal with their sin. Even in the beginning the law was never thought of as a means of salvation. 

Those who enter into the New Covenant with God agree to 2 Vows:
1. Love God
2. Love His People.
Those who Love Him will obey these commands. Those who are committed to their God will fulfill these vows.

It's funny in a Marriage. I bet not many think about their vows unless they are contemplating breaking them.
An unfaithful spouse is looked at as being uncommitted to the marriage.
A committed spouse will automatically fulfill their vows.... These things are the same with God. Those who don`t obey, are not seen as committed to God. Those who are committed will fulfill the Covenant requirements.

Also note, all nurtured relationships grow deeper over time. A newly wed couple does not have the same understanding of love and commitment as a 50 year married couple. Just like a new believer does not have the same understanding as someone who has walked with God for a season. We all love as best as we can and the love and commitment grows deeper over time. We get better at it the longer we do it.

Salvation is a free gift that is found  in Jesus alone and available to all those who have a need for it. It`s Holy Spirit`s job to convince the world of their need.
♥ Created to Love and be Loved ♥