• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
October 23, 2019, 07:06:55 pm

Carrying one's own cross

Started by AudioArtist, March 07, 2011, 02:04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Yitzchak

I think in the context it seems to mean that we must be willing to give up our old life in order to eb born again and have a new life in him.

QuoteMat 10:37  He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:38  And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
Mat 10:39  He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

QuoteMar 8:34  And when he had called the people unto him with his disciples also, he said unto them, Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mar 8:35  For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.
Mar 8:36  For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Mar 8:37  Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?

Luke makes it really clear with the part about counting the cost. The cost is giving up everything. My old life has to die.

QuoteLuk 14:26  If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:27  And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
Luk 14:28  For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Luk 14:29  Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him,
Luk 14:30  Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish.
Luk 14:31  Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand?
Luk 14:32  Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace.
Luk 14:33  So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

I think this is a common problem in the modern church. There are a lot of half way converted Christians walking around with one foot in their old life and one foot in their new life. The ways that this manifests are not limited to what we would expect though. The sins of the flesh are there , as expected. But the worst manifestation of the halfway converted state is a refusal to give up our old thinking and embrace things like grace and faith. Having one foot in grace and one foot in law or justice , having one foot in faith and one foot in works. What a painful and frustrated way to live.

To really trust God and jump in with both feet is what it means. Stop thinking that the old life will finally pay off. The blessings are yes and amen in Christ. That is where we find our life.
To know him and to make him known

Yitzchak

Oh. The reason it is daily is because salvation is not just a prayer we said back in 1972. Salvation is a daily walk from faith to faith. Our faith is active today.  That is what I believe.

Sorry to mix metaphors here. But I think it is like the Nation of Israel when they left Egypt. Their life was in front of them in the promised land. There was a single point in time when they left Egypt. But there was a daily walk of faith as they traveled towards the promises. Each day they reconfirmed their choice and got up for the day and headed towards the promised land instead of back towards Egypt. And every day the manna came. Their life back in Egypt was dead and gone. No turning back.

Are we willing to give up the lesser to receive the greater ? The greater is his promises which require faith. The lesser is what we already had without Christ. This could make a good offering sermonette......

Just my view....
To know him and to make him known

Rachel Faith

I would relate "my cross" to my daily walk with Jesus.
Above all, keep fervent in your love for one another, because love covers a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

DiscipleHeLovesToo

here's another way to look at this; you have to be willing to loose everything at any given time to follow His leading.  when your co-worker at work begins to tell you about how overwhelming things are for them right now, how the economy is going down and they have barely enough to begin with, and you feel the leading of the Holy Spirit to tell them about the goodness of God that isn't affected by the economy, and the next thought is about the presentation on diversity in the workplace that HR sent out last week - you have to be willing to act on the Holy Spirit's leading in spite of the warning from HR that you'll get fired for speaking faith at work.  or the doctor tells you that at your age you should expect arthritis, especially since your parents had severe arthritis, and he wants you to start taking medication several times a day for the rest of your life - and the Holy Spirit leads you to reject this and witness to the doctor about how 'by His stripes you were healed' - and fear rises up inside you that if you ignore the doctor's prognosis that you could loose your health - you have to be willing to act on the leading of the Holy Spirit to reject the doctor's 'best advice' and risk your health to follow that leading.  you have to be willing to loose everything at any given time to follow His leading - the good news is that you won't ever loose anything good by following Him!!!

GLY!!!
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.