• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
October 21, 2019, 08:34:47 am

Indulge Me

Started by BenAdam, August 14, 2008, 10:53:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BenAdam

Ok,

I know it will be no suprise to many of you that I don't buy alot of WoF doctrine.  That is not the point of this thread.

Rather the point is the endless debate on CF that usually degenerates to: WoF is heresy on one side and You are a doubter/unbeliever/faithless on the other.

I enjoy debating doctrine.  I enjoy getting out a Bible and others doing it as well, showing one another scripture to support our positions.  I have learned alot and hope others have learned from me.

So why do some people on both sides take it so personal that being right is more important than showing love?  I know that even I have let my emotions and self-righteousness get the better of me, but I hope for the most part I treat everyone graciously.

If someone posts something that we don't agree with or says something, do we always have to jump in and state they are wrong?

Pete

I wish I knew.

It's true that most of us tend to speak when we shouldn't , which is why my time at CF is declining rapidly.

This is perhaps one of the hardest parts of God's Love for our flesh.  Does not insist on its own rights.  Pays no attention to a suffered wrong.  Keeps no record of wrongs.

Our flesh sees our beliefs (whether they are WoF or not) being twisted and misrepresented, and so we feel the need to jump in and correct people.  In and of itself, this is not bad, but as anyone who has spent more than 10 minutes at CF can attest to, there are those who just simply don't care what you believe.  I've had people flat out tell me that what I said I believed isn't what I really believe, and instead I believe....  and then they come up with some off-the-wall, whacked out crazy notion that NO ONE believes, and attribute it to me.  I know I'm not alone in this regard.

There's no point talking to people like that.  You could have a more productive conversation with the shoe that's in your mouth than you can with some people.

So why do we do it?  I dunno.  Gluttons for punishment?  The thrill of the debate?  Who knows.  But at some point, it becomes pointless bickering.  That point is rapidly approaching for me.
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

flaglady

I think they do it because they can and no other reason. The anonymity of the net makes it possible for those so inclined to jump up and down and thump the table.

Nobody talks like that in real life. If they did - with some people - they'd end up getting a fat lip!

I think this is an internet phenomenon and the present state of that forum attracts like to like as a lamp attracts moths.

flyingsum0

I see WOF and I think of WAFFLE...

Then again I see ROCK and I think of WAFFLE...

Seriously though Ben brings up a good point....you dont have to be wrong just because you disagree with someone...you may both be just kinda right :D

Sarah

Dang!  I have never seen a waffle like that!  I really wish I had! 

I think maturity is a major factor in all of this, natural and spiritual.
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

leadworship

I don't know Ben.  I DO know that CF has toughened my skin, and I am able to take a LOT more verbal abuse than I could a year ago.  Some people simply are not teachable - or they refuse to have the option of being taught by someone who comes from a "camp" they don't like.  I believe it's that simple.  If we remain teachable, we can learn form each other and from the Word.  If we are not teachable, then we cannot be taught easily, especially by God. 

That's just my $.02 though.  It generally don't amount to a hill'o'beans.

DianeL

Man those waffles look de--------licious!!

I'm not much of a debater, so, I mostly sat on the sidelines listening and learning with my bible out .....sometimes though, it did get pretty awful. I'm sorry for that because some of the discussions were very good.

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

charityagape

I must be in the minority.  I love CF.  And I don't mind the bickering and maybe its not all that Christian of me, but usually I just think the things people say are funny and well honest.  Since its mostly anonymous I pretty much think the bad things people say are what they REALLY want to say but can't in real life, because well you'd be a pretty lonely person if you talked to "real" people like that.

But I love CF, because it forced me to really think about what I believe and why.

Pete

Quote from: charityagape on August 14, 2008, 09:45:56 pm

But I love CF, because it forced me to really think about what I believe and why.

That's how I used to feel, and I really am thankful for my time at CF.

But maybe, after 11,000 posts and 3 years, I'm just burnt out.  I no longer have it in me to tell the same people the same thing over and over and over again.

charityagape

Well true, true.................................btw those are NOT waffles, those are donuts in disguise.

lovesblessing

To Miss Charity..........No wonder the police are so fond of donuts!

To Ben.....

So, okay to answer your question about why people react the way they do and make it personal, is because what your beliefs are is who you are.  It is personal.  Our beliefs define who we truly are, what makes up our personality, our emotions are invested in it.

If someone attacks something that we believe to be a truth in our lives (even if it turns out to be a lie that we are deceived into believing), it is like they are attacking us.  It's not so much about being right as it is about being accepted for who we are.   We all want to be loved and accepted, that is the big hole that is in each person, that only God can fill, but until we really understand how loved and accepted we are in Christ, we all react when someone rejects us, including what we believe.    That is one reason why conversations about religion and politics and sports and other certain subjects can become so very heated, real quick.

The only person who can change us is God, we can't willfully change who we are deep down inside, only God can change us, by bringing His light into our lives.  And everyone is at a different point on our journey's with God.......doesn't matter how old or young or long we've been a born again Christian, God is the only one who can change us, our personality, by His working in our lives in grace, in His time.  For each person it is different.   Someone who is truly a new creation in Christ and desires to know more of Him, God will move heaven and earth to help that person grow in Him, to become more and more the image of Christ Jesus, no matter how long it takes or how many stops and starts they have, He will complete what He has started in us. 

He wants us all to reflect Jesus to the world, just like the moon reflects the sun.....the moon has no light in itself, it just reflects the light from the sun!   Did you notice how when Peter kept his focus fully on Jesus (when He was walking on the water), Peter became just like Jesus......effortlessly!  He climbed out of the boat and walked on the water just like Jesus was!  He faltered when he took his eyes off of Jesus.  So do we.  If we can keep our focus on Jesus, who He is and what He has done for us and how much He loves us, then we will grow up too......effortlessly!

Sorry about that slight rabbit trail there.......I get talking about Jesus and I could go on for hours!

Now let's see if this kills your thread or not!

Quote from: BenAdam on August 14, 2008, 10:53:55 am
Ok,

I know it will be no suprise to many of you that I don't buy alot of WoF doctrine.  That is not the point of this thread.

Rather the point is the endless debate on CF that usually degenerates to: WoF is heresy on one side and You are a doubter/unbeliever/faithless on the other.

I enjoy debating doctrine.  I enjoy getting out a Bible and others doing it as well, showing one another scripture to support our positions.  I have learned alot and hope others have learned from me.

So why do some people on both sides take it so personal that being right is more important than showing love?  I know that even I have let my emotions and self-righteousness get the better of me, but I hope for the most part I treat everyone graciously.

If someone posts something that we don't agree with or says something, do we always have to jump in and state they are wrong?
Quote from: charityagape on August 14, 2008, 10:57:59 pm
Well true, true.................................btw those are NOT waffles, those are donuts in disguise.
[/FONT] [/COLOR][/SIZE]
Faith is having a good opinion of God!

Pete

Excellent post, Dorothy! 

Sarah

Thank you for putting in words what I was thinking.
Embraced by the loving arms of the Father....

flyingsum0

Quote from: lovesblessing on August 15, 2008, 12:53:54 am
To Miss Charity..........No wonder the police are so fond of donuts!

8 iron

I enjoy debating doctrine.  I enjoy getting out a Bible and othersdoing it as well, showing one another scripture to support ourpositions.  I have learned alot and hope others have learned from me.

There is a scripture in the Bible that says debating doctrine is unprofitable and we are to stay away from divisive people. I think the reason there is so much emotional attatchment, frustration, name calling, anger, pointing of fingers is because we have Christians engaging in things the Bible tells us not to.

In doing so, a playground for the devil is created to bring unrest in your minds and souls, not to mention other unhealthy things. It is not profitable to argue or even debate scripture IMO. For what little knowledge one my gain, it causes so many other issues.

Pretty obvious to see this play out on CF over the last 4-5 years. That forum doesn't give off an Godly appearance.