Encounters with God's holiness

Started by AudioArtist, December 17, 2010, 08:23:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

AudioArtist

I understand God is one, but it seems to me that when we encounter God it can be different aspects of His reality that we experience. God is love, and sometimes His incredible love is poured out into us as we spend time in His presence. Sometimes it is His joy, and sometimes His heart for the lost. And so on.

What'd I'd love to hear about is how people have encountered of His sheer holiness - today. The holiness which made Isaiah cry "Woe to me! I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty"; the holiness which caused Moses to take his sandals off in awe; the holiness at Mount Sinai, where there was thunder and lightning, a loud trumpet blast, the mountain was covered with smoke and all the Israelites trembled.

I ask because this is a part of God's nature I am having glimpses of lately, and it is wonderful. So much more of our faith can be understood in light of an experience of God's holiness - and since you all seem like experienced, understanding Christians, I'd imagine you've also glimpsed God's holiness! My idle words seem all the more filthy in the presence of God's holiness, yet He still loves me. How amazing!

Btw, I am not suggesting that God's nature is always encountered in a compartmentalized fashion - just that some experience a gentle touch of the Spirit on one occasion, and the fear of the Lord on another - and then possibly everything in between. So, if you feel comfortable sharing encounters which made you tremble in awe of God's pure holiness, please share! May we all be edified by this. As a side note, I sometimes refer to my experiences of God's holiness as encounters with His glory. The two seem linked. Would I be right in saying this?

DiscipleHeLovesToo

'holiness' is a word that I never hear outside of a spirtual context.  what does it really mean, as defined by scripture?  How can this word be 'translated' into everyday language that anyone can understand?  i found this definition on webster's website:

exalted or worthy of complete devotion as one perfect in goodness and righteousness.

to me, this scripture is what defines 'holiness':

If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honorable; and shalt honor him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: Then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.
(Isaiah 58:13-14 KJVR) (emphasis added)

the OT 'sabbath' was devoted exclusively to fellowship with God; to the complete exclusion of thoughts of one's self.

'holiness' speaks to a goodness that is so pure, it is absolutely selfless; goodness completely and utterly devoted to another.

this seems to agree with Isaiah's profound revelation:

Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.
(Isaiah 6:5 KJVR)

when i really miss it and God protects me and I recieve His blessing in spite of myself, i experience His holiness - His complete and utter goodness toward me as His redeemed:

Fear not, thou worm Jacob, and ye men of Israel; I will help thee, saith the LORD, and thy redeemer, the Holy One of Israel.
(Isaiah 41:14 KJVR)

Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

DianeL

One encounter I had was that His presence was so strong, I couldn't speak, just stood there in silence. My words would have seemed so 'small' - for lack of a better expression.
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13