2 minutes and 56.19 seconds

Started by Pete, January 16, 2009, 01:55:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Looking through some of my past archives, I ran across this that I wrote somewhere else, but I never posted it here.  I hope it blesses you;

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

That's the magic number.  If you sin against me consistently every 2 minutes and 56.19 seconds for 24 hours straight (aka, 490x in one day), Jesus tells me I STILL have to forgive you...

Matthew 6:14-15 (AMP)
14 For if you forgive people their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins, leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment], your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their trespasses [their reckless and willful sins, leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment], neither will your Father forgive you your trespasses.

First things first. It doesn't seem that the translators of the Amplified Bible draw a distinction between "forgiveness" and "letting go". Indeed, here we can see that "forgiveness" is equated to "leaving them, letting them go, and giving up resentment".

Second, take a look at what trespasses we are to "forgive". "RECKLESS and WILLFUL sins". No indication whatsoever is given that we're only to forgive people when they don't know any better. In fact, it's pretty clear here that this is talking about people who willfully do you wrong.

Third, as far as I can tell the belief that one must wait for repentance before forgiving is founded on this scripture;

Luke 17:3 (AMP)
Pay attention and always be on your guard [looking out for one another]. If your brother sins (misses the mark), solemnly tell him so and reprove him, and if he repents (feels sorry for having sinned), forgive him.

There are also a couple points here. First, it says if your "brother" sins. This is referring to fellow Christians, not just any ol' body.

Second, it says "if he repents"... but let's take a look at verse 4;

Luke 17:4 (AMP)
And even if he sins against you seven times in a day, and turns to you seven times and says, I repent [I am sorry], you must forgive him (give up resentment and consider the offense as recalled and annulled).

So here we see that if someone REPENTS 7 times in one day... but hold on a second. If you repent, doesn't that mean to stop and turn from what you're doing? How could one POSSIBLY sincerely REPENT for the SAME sin 7 times in one day? And yet, Jesus tells us that we must forgive them anyway...

Third, the belief that we're not to forgive seems to be based on what the scripture DOES NOT say. It says "if he repents, forgive him". It does not say, "if he does not repent, don't forgive him". And in fact, Jesus tells us to forgive 70 x 7 times in a single day, with no mention of a conditional repentance;

Matthew 18:21-22 (AMP)
21 Then Peter came up to Him and said, Lord, how many times may my brother sin against me and I forgive him and let it go? [As many as] up to seven times? 22 Jesus answered him, I tell you, not up to seven times, but seventy times seven!

So if you sin against me, 490 times, in one day, or rather, if you sin against me every 2 minutes and 56.19 seconds for 24 hours straight, I still have to forgive you, and "let it go".

This corresponds with what 1 Corinthians 13:5 says;

1 Corinthians 13:5 (AMP)
It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God's love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].

Love and forgiveness is not the easy choice.  It requires us to crucify our fleshly desire to retaliate.  Everything in our human nature wants to strike back.  But Jesus showed us a better way.  We had not yet repented, but God SO LOVED us, that He gave us His Son anyway, "while we were yet sinners".

There is power and freedom to be found in God's Love and forgiveness.  When you really grasp God's Love, no one can hurt you anymore.  They become powerless to inflict hurt on you.  God's Love makes it of no effect.  I didn't say people wouldn't still screw you over and TRY to hurt you, but because of God's Love on the inside of you, they won't be able to succeed.

Not only that, but Love and forgiveness will break down barriers, and open up doors to minister to people, and speak life to them that would not have otherwise existed.  People will open themselves up to you as they notice a difference...

I believe this is one of the keys to the Kingdom.   Forgiveness unlocks doors that have been locked for years.  Love destroys barriers and breaks down walls that have been standing in our way for years.  Reconciliation can come in the most unlikely of places when we begin to walk in the fullness of God's Love.
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

bill16652

Excellent and it is the key to winning souls and hearts for Christ, not to mention having Gods perspective towards your fellow man.

flaglady

I remember that - in fact I have never forgotten it. It blessed me then and it blesses me again now. Thank you so much for posting it again.

DianeL

Pete, I so agree, the first time I acted on this principle, it was hard, very hard, the second time, easier, third time, alot easier. 

I'm still learning by being acutely aware of my reaction to offence and by choice choosing to walk on this principle.

Thanks for posting this, very encouraging!
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Foadle

Wow.  This must have been posted before I came here.  Thanks for linking me to it Pete.  Awesome stuff

sharonl

My son called this morning and said they listened to Joel Osteen at the hotel this morning and he told a neat story.

Said this man was always bitter at the world every time something happened to him. This dog bit him and he went to the hospital, they told him all these shots he had to take and the doctor looked around and the man was writing quickly and the doctor said, you're not going to die, you don't have to make out your will, the man answered - I'm not making out a will, I'm making a list of all the people that I am going to bite.

Moral of the story - don't be a biter. (nothing to do with what Pete wrote, but speaking of forgiveness reminded me of the story)
Diamonds From Heaven - help for the hurting heart
http://gentle.org/sites/diamonds/
Beautiful gifts - the men love them http://chopsknives.com