December 02, 2020, 04:41:06 am

HGO Recipe Book

Started by Foadle, June 12, 2010, 09:19:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

flaglady

I can't believe I've not posted my chocolate cake!

VANISHING CHOCOLATE CAKE
Sift together

7ozs s.r.flour
8 ozs castor sugar
¾ teaspoonful of salt
½ oz cocoa powder

Rub in 4ozs hard margarine
(or chuck the lot into a processor!)

Mix 2 beaten eggs with
2 fl ozs evaporated milk
2 fl ozs water and
1 teaspoonful vanilla extract (not essence)
Add this to the cake mix and stir well or just buzz a few more seconds in the processor.

Line the base of a cake tin with a circle of greaseproof paper and grease the sides
Pour mixture into the tin making a dip in the middle so the cake isn't too pointy.
Bake in middle of low oven 1700C (Gas No 3) for 45 minutes.
Turn out, remove the paper base and leave to cool, then slice in half

CHOCOLATE COVERING
Sift together
¾ oz cocoa powder
8ozs icing sugar
1½ fluid ozs scalded milk
1 teaspoonful vanilla essence

Melt 2½ ozs hard margarine in a medium sized saucepan - just melted, don't overheat.
Stir sifted powders into margarine and add scalded milk (milk brought rapidly to the boil and used immediately)

Stir and beat lightly until mix has a glassy look.
Pour some icing between the two halves and reassemble the cake on a sheet of greaseproof paper.

Slowly pour the rest of the icing over the top of the cake, ensuring that it cascades evenly across the cake top and down the sides. If timed correctly, the icing should set almost as soon as it is poured. If not, scoop up the excess with a palette knife and add to the top and sides of the cake until it is not flowing any more.

Slice, serve and enjoy!! But quickly - it won't last long!!!!

Supplanter

Supplanter

BTW. I have been adding recipes to the wikki. I realized that I need to go back and add a line to name the person who contributed the recipe. If there is anyone who doesn't want their recipes included for some reason or would rather not have their contribution attributed to them,  then please let me know.

I will keep a list on the "Discussion" page for the cookbook of anyone who would prefer this. Thanks.

Supplanter

Also, it would be awesome if some of you guys would jump in and start doing some editing on what I've added. If you need help with figuring it out, then let me know.

I've been trying to put the recipes in a common format so they will be uniform. I've found that, in terms of the way it all looks, that listing the ingredients and then putting directions in a paragraph form seems to do the best. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

I think Leah was working on adding a table of measurement conversions, which I think would be awesome.

Pete

Quote from: Supplanter on September 26, 2011, 11:18:40 am
Also, it would be awesome if some of you guys would jump in and start doing some editing on what I've added. If you need help with figuring it out, then let me know.

I've been trying to put the recipes in a common format so they will be uniform. I've found that, in terms of the way it all looks, that listing the ingredients and then putting directions in a paragraph form seems to do the best. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

I think Leah was working on adding a table of measurement conversions, which I think would be awesome.

Might I suggest using bullet points for your ingredient lists?

Just preface every ingredient with a * and it will create a nicely bulleted list.

I edited this recipe to give you an example;
http://wiki.hisgraceoasis.com/index.php?title=Pasta#Fred.E2.80.99s_Macaroni_and_Cheese

O0
"There is no charge for awesomeness -- or attractiveness."

Supplanter

Supplanter

I have every recipe in this thread in the Cookbook on the Wiki. There is A LOT of editing left to do, but check it out -try editing something. It's a lot of fun. Oh yeah, and keep adding recipes  :amen:

http://wiki.hisgraceoasis.com/index.php?title=HGO_Cookbook

Foadle

Haven't worked wiki out but I had to add another recipe

Mars Bar Slice

3 60g Mars bars
3 tbs butter/margarine
3 cups rice bubbles
family block of chocolate

Place rice bubbles in a large mixing bowl and set to one side.  Chop mars bars.  Melt butter in a small saucepan and add mars bars.  Stir continually until melted (note the nougat in the Mars bars will not melt down totally).  Add to rice bubbles and mix well.  Press into a 7" x 11" slice tray.  *Melt block of chocolate and poor over top and spread approximately evenly.  Place in fridge to set.

*When melting chocolate it should be done in a bowl over a saucepan of water so you don't burn or scorch your chocolate.

Supplanter

That sounds sinful. lol  :hugegrin:

Foadle

Not unless we make a law against it.  Remember with law there is no sin lol...so shhhh we won't tell anyone

pastorzzub

Quote from: Foadle on October 01, 2011, 06:32:24 pm
Haven't worked wiki out but I had to add another recipe

Mars Bar Slice

3 60g Mars bars
3 tbs butter/margarine
3 cups rice bubbles
family block of chocolate

Place rice bubbles in a large mixing bowl and set to one side.  Chop mars bars.  Melt butter in a small saucepan and add mars bars.  Stir continually until melted (note the nougat in the Mars bars will not melt down totally).  Add to rice bubbles and mix well.  Press into a 7" x 11" slice tray.  *Melt block of chocolate and poor over top and spread approximately evenly.  Place in fridge to set.

*When melting chocolate it should be done in a bowl over a saucepan of water so you don't burn or scorch your chocolate.

My daughter, who is 5, and I made this tonight for desert.  It was extra yummy.  Wife came home from work and loved it.  Daughter was so proud of herself, she melted the mars bars and everything...

Used an 8" by 8" tin, and it fitted fine.  Don't know what you call a family bar of chocolate but the one I bought was about 1/2 the size needed, so the chocolate on top was spread rather thin - would use more next time, but definitely yummy.  I thought there would be too much butter, but it was perfect.

Thanks so much!!!

Supplanter

Quote from: Foadle on October 03, 2011, 07:09:53 pm
Not unless we make a law against it.  Remember with law there is no sin lol...so shhhh we won't tell anyone

lol. You crack me up.  :hug:

Supplanter

Quote from: pastorzzub on October 04, 2011, 05:29:44 pm
My daughter, who is 5, and I made this tonight for desert.  It was extra yummy.  Wife came home from work and loved it.  Daughter was so proud of herself, she melted the mars bars and everything...

Used an 8" by 8" tin, and it fitted fine.  Don't know what you call a family bar of chocolate but the one I bought was about 1/2 the size needed, so the chocolate on top was spread rather thin - would use more next time, but definitely yummy.  I thought there would be too much butter, but it was perfect.

Thanks so much!!!

Awesome. I love when children are learning how to cook, It's just so wonderful seeing how much they enjoy something like that.

Foadle

oops I did a typo in my post ... it is WITHOUT law there is no sin lol

Glad it was a hit in your family zub.  A family block of chocolate is 200g but I usually use more as I find that is rather thinly spread

Miss D Meaner

Lemonade (one of my favourites)

1 cup of sugar
juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp of lemon essence (or rind if you don't have the essence)
water

Dissolve sugar in boiling water (at least one cup but I usually use more)
Add juice and lemon essence and stir
Pour into 2L jug/bottle and top up with water
Chill

LittleRocketBoy

This is hands down the "worst" hot dog you will ever eat. They are truly addicting.

First the hot dog chili, which is the key ingredient.

1 lb hamburger, lean
1/2 cup water.

add the hamburger and water to a saucepan. Break up the hamburger meat as much as you can! Allow the water to steam away and the meat to brown. Once the meat is browned, add the water back and continue to add as you simmer. Just maintain a wet consistancy... but not runny.

Add:
1 TB Tones Chili Powder. No other brand will do. You can find it at Sam's Club.
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Texas peter (we like it hotter so we use habanero sauce)
1 1/2 tsp A-1 sauce
1 TB Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp Frech's yellow mustard

Simmer for 20 minites to half an hour. If you let this sit to long the flavors will blend too much. So plan on a one meal batch. It does not freeze or store well. If it looses the heat, be ready to add a couple shakes of the hot sauce. The heat is such that it is hot at the back of your throat.

Thin red links are best. There should be a "pop" when you bite the dog.
Must have fresh buns. Nuc them for a few seconds so they are soft and moist.
Use sweet onions, not too harsh.
Use mustard and catsup.
Add about two three TB of the chili.

Eat with chips and a COLD drink.

Thank you Lord for taste buds.

Gig

Apple Crisp Pizza  :kiss:

Ingredients:
Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
2/3 cup sugar
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
4 medium apples (like Gala, Fiji, Braeburn, Empire) peeled and diced into 1/4 inch pieces

TOPPING:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup salted butter, softened (see Note)
1/2 cup caramel topping

Instructions:
Note: I like to use salted butter because it cuts the sweetness of the pizza. If you don't use salted butter sprinkle some salt on top of the crisp. Trust me. It brings out the flavors.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roll pastry to fit a 12-inch pizza pan; fold under edges to give the pizza a bit of a raised crust. Combine sugar, flour and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add peeled, diced apples and toss. Arrange the apples in a single layer over the pie crust to completely cover it. I didn't use all of my apples because I had really big apples.
For the topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, cinnamon, and butter in a bowl. Mix well. I like to use my clean hands to get in there and mush it together until it's the texture of wet sand. Sprinkle topping evenly over the apples.

Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes, or until apples are tender. Remove from oven and immediately drizzle with caramel topping. Cut into pizza slices and serve warm with ice cream. Makes 12 servings.

Foadle

Bounty Slice.

Okay so here in Australia we have a chocolate bar called Bounty. One of my favourites.  It was only recently I learned that you poor Americans do not have it.  But I have a recipe  :hugegrin:  and it is super simple  :hugegrin: :hugegrin: :hugegrin: .

I make it as a slice rather than bars because it is quicker, easier and less messy, but I have done the bars too.

Ingredients
4 cups desiccated coconut
1 tin sweetened condensed milk (195g)
2 x 350g milk chocolate

Method
1. Line a slice tin with baking paper (butter does not work for stopping this from sticking to the bottom, so paper every time on this one)
2. Melt one block of chocolate in a bowl over boiling water then pour and spread evenly in prepared slice tin
3. Set tin in fridge (or freezer for shorter time period) until chocolate is half set - maybe in the cooler climates you may not need to do this.  You don't want it to fully set or the base chocolate separates from the rest of the slice so you want it firm but not quite set so that the coconut will "grip" the base when it is added.
3. Combine coconut and condensed milk.  Advise you put 3 cups of coconut in at first and then add more as you need.  The mixture should bind but not be dry or overly sticky - it will be a little sticky though
4. Melt 2nd block of chocolate and pour evenly over the top
5. Put in fridge/freezer to set
6. Lift paper out of tin and ease off of slice
7. Cut up and eat

.... smiley licking lips .... mmmmmm

flaglady

Foadle, I always thought you were in the UK!

But we can buy Bounty bars in Confectionery - yum yum!!

flaglady

I have a recipe for you, just nice for Christmas!

Zabaglione - per person

1 Egg yolk
1 tablespoon of Masala wine
1 tablespoon of fine sugar (castor sugar in the UK)

mix egg yolks in a bowl and bowl resting in a saucepan of gently simmering water

add sugar and wine and keep beating until the mix becomes thickened and fluffy.

It should leave a little trail when you lift the beaters out of the mix. If it doesn't, it's not done enough. The mix also needs to get warm from the bain marie so the egg cooks a bit.

When stiff enough, pour into wine glasses and serve immediately with bourbon biscuits