• Welcome, Guest. Please login.
November 22, 2019, 04:35:13 pm

The Cross We Carry

Started by Neph, April 27, 2010, 09:49:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Neph

Through most my life I believed that the cross we carry had to do with things God has placed on your back to keep you humble. I believed that Paul's thorn in the flesh was the thing he had to carry on his cross. Some of this belief came from how the world understands it. I would hear people say things like 'that's the cross I have to bare" when talking about things they believe they couldn't change about themselves or situations they had no power to change. So whenever I would read where Jesus says deny yourself and pick up your cross and follow me that is what I thought He was talking about, but now that is not what I think He was talking about.

Romans 6:3, Or don't you know that all of us who were baptised into Christ Jesus were baptised into his death?

Romans 6:6-7, For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin, because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.

When we are baptised into Christ Jesus we are baptised into his death. This death is the death of your old self and Paul says that this old self was crucified with Christ. However, Paul then quotes this scripture:
Romans 8:36, As it is written: For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.

Well, if Paul first says that our old self has been crucified and has died then how can he now say that we face death all day long? The old self is basically your sinful nature and although it has died, been crucified, it leaves a lasting impression in your soul. This is why Paul then says this:
Romans 12:2, Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is, his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Because the old self has left a lasting impression in your soul, mind, we have to renew it. Here is what Paul says we are to renew our minds to:
Ephesians 4:22-24, You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

2 Corinthians 5:17, Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!

So, after saying all of that, here's what I believe the cross we carry is for. The cross we carry is where our old self is, it is nailed to the cross we carry. Paul says we die all day long and that is the reason why we have to carry our cross with us every day and all day long. if we are going to be successful in renewing our minds to our new selves we actually have to deny and kill the influencial power that our old selves have on us. You have to keep that power and influence nailed to that cross of yours.
God's NOT mad at you!! . . . . .NO matter what!

Foadle

I agree with you in part Neph only in that I believe that this is only a portion of it.  Another portion is baring the insults and slander of others who do not agree with us.
Matt 10:25 It is enough for the disciples that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord.  If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?
This part of it can also been seen in the previous verse of the scripture you have given
Luke 9:22 Saying, The Son of man mujst suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scripbes and be slain, and be raised the third day.
Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man wil come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
Luke 9:24 For whosoever will save his live shall lose it: but whosoeever will lose his life for my sake, the szame shall save it.

So the verse after is definately about being totally sold out for him and dying to self as you have indicated but it is doing that through the torments and persecutions that others will direct towards us which I believe complicates things much more.

DianeL

Growing up Roman Catholic, my aunt used to say often "This is my cross I have to carry" because her marriage wasn't going well.  I didn't understand it. She had a martyrdom syndrome.

Later on, I thought it was persecution by insults and mocking because we have freedom of religion here.

In China, carrying your cross - persecution could mean your life.

So, outwardly the 'carry your cross' could seem to have various cause and effects ;

But I have learned that inwardly when I crucify parts of my old self - perhaps critical thinking, judgemental accusations, apathy, etc.  I replace these with love, hope, longsuffering, etc.. it's begins the process of renewing my mind.  Sometimes I have to keep crucifiying some these behaviours (my old self) all day long :)

Neph, good topic!
A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another. John 13

Neph

Quote from: DianeL on April 28, 2010, 08:31:28 am
Growing up Roman Catholic, my aunt used to say often "This is my cross I have to carry" because her marriage wasn't going well.  I didn't understand it. She had a martyrdom syndrome.

Later on, I thought it was persecution by insults and mocking because we have freedom of religion here.

In China, carrying your cross - persecution could mean your life.

So, outwardly the 'carry your cross' could seem to have various cause and effects ;

But I have learned that inwardly when I crucify parts of my old self - perhaps critical thinking, judgemental accusations, apathy, etc.  I replace these with love, hope, longsuffering, etc.. it's begins the process of renewing my mind.  Sometimes I have to keep crucifiying some these behaviours (my old self) all day long :)

Neph, good topic!

Growing up RC I do understand you totally, God bless!

Neph

Quote from: Foadle on April 27, 2010, 10:32:21 pm
I agree with you in part Neph only in that I believe that this is only a portion of it.  Another portion is baring the insults and slander of others who do not agree with us.
Matt 10:25 It is enough for the disciples that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord.  If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?
This part of it can also been seen in the previous verse of the scripture you have given
Luke 9:22 Saying, The Son of man mujst suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders and chief priests and scripbes and be slain, and be raised the third day.
Luke 9:23 And he said to them all, If any man wil come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.
Luke 9:24 For whosoever will save his live shall lose it: but whosoeever will lose his life for my sake, the szame shall save it.

So the verse after is definately about being totally sold out for him and dying to self as you have indicated but it is doing that through the torments and persecutions that others will direct towards us which I believe complicates things much more.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this then, and God bless.  :)